Weighing an artichoke

Katmary71
Katmary71 Posts: 6,549 Member
Would you count the weight of an artichoke or weigh before eating then the remains after? Technically there's more left than what you actually eat. It seems higher calorie than it should be for the weight though it's a good-sized artichoke.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    You generally only count the weight of what you actually eat, unless you're using an entry that specifically refers to the pretrimmed/pre-filleted/pre-whatever weight of something.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    The best way to do it probably seems to weigh both before and after you eat it, and the difference between the two weights is how much you ate.
  • Katmary71
    I ended up weighing it before and after, thanks!
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Don't you cut the inedible bits off before cooking? I always have
  • Katmary71
    I trim the stem and leaves before cooking. I put the whole artichokes in the Instant pot but don't cut it anymore for steaming in a pot. The only time I remove the center is if I'm cutting in half to grill.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,939 Member

Wait. What?

The outer leaves are not completely edible, unless you're a gorilla...

I just scrape off the outer soft lower part of the leaves with my teeth and end up throwing most of the leaf away.

5-Enjoy.gif?width=260&height=170&name=5-Enjoy.gif

Right? Or do you only eat the hearts?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Life's too short to eat foods that come with directions. 😂
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,599 Member
    I love steamed artichoke. I just log the whole artichoke because it is easy and not terrifly calorific. The hollandaise sauce or lemon butter on the other hand is logged more carefully.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    I weigh many items before and after eating. Such things as rotisserie chicken, corn cut off the cob into a dish, barbecue ribs, etc. You just have to be sure that the cited calorie count does not include things you are not eating. So, for example, barbecue ribs should be looked up as barbecue pulled pork.
  • Katmary71

Wait. What?

The outer leaves are not completely edible, unless you're a gorilla...

I just scrape off the outer soft lower part of the leaves with my teeth and end up throwing most of the leaf away.

5-Enjoy.gif?width=260&height=170&name=5-Enjoy.gif

Right? Or do you only eat the hearts?

The hearts are the best part, but scraping the leaves is part of the eating an artichoke experience!
  • wilson10102018
    Dipping the leaves in melted butter and then scraping the leaves with one's teeth is the artichoke experience. Just weigh the butter before and after too.
  • Katmary71
    Dipping the leaves in melted butter and then scraping the leaves with one's teeth is the artichoke experience. Just weigh the butter before and after too.

Yum! I usually just dip in mayo. My light mayonnaise expired so I tried Greek yogurt with dill and it was gross, though good without the choke. I ended up squeezing lemon juice into a bowl to dip in.
  • wilson10102018
    Oh, you will really like the melted butter dipping. It has less calories and tastes incredible. (Less calories because they are the same density but you get a lot more mayo if you dip.)
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member

Any food that requires butter is not worth eating in my opinion. Especially vegetables.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited October 2019
    I find when I insta-pot an artichoke I don't need to put any dressing on it, though I usually go with mayo. But, I live near Castroville (artichoke capital of the world, google it), so I may be getting a higher quality artichoke/fresher than most folk have available.

Weigh before and after.

Eat the leaves in the manner that was illustrated in the video a few posts back.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    We prefer our artichoke leaves and heart dipped in melted butter with lots of garlic powder. It’s delish.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member

Any food that requires butter is not worth eating in my opinion. Especially vegetables.

I'm with you for lobster, but not vegetables.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Out of all the foods i could think of, one thing i actually do enjoy better with butter (must be browned butter) is a lobster tail. lol

As far as vegetables, perfectly steamed vegetables with a little spinkle of crazy salt is all i need.

I guess my point of view, is why turn something meant to be healthy, unhealthy with butter, might as well not even eat them. As far as lobster, yes its healthy, but its not something you eat often (unless you're rich), might as well splurge with a little bit of browned butter.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,599 Member
    I dip artichoke leaves in hollandaise.

Per person 40 g butter, a quarter lemon, a tablespoon or two of white wine, a splash of green tabasco or green sriracha, an egg yolk. Melt everything but the egg yolk in a large glass or ceramic bowl in the microwave. Simmer some water in a small sauce pan and put the bowl over not in the hot water. Whisk in the separated egg yolks until sauce is thickened to taste. If the sauce gets too thick stir in a teaspoon of water or white wine. Salt the hollandaise so that you only need a scant amount.

Leftover hollandaise can be re-warmed by spooning a teaspoon of water or white wine to prevent a crust from forming. Heat up in the lowest setting of the microwave for 1 minute.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2019
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Out of all the foods i could think of, one thing i actually do enjoy better with butter (must be browned butter) is a lobster tail. lol

As far as vegetables, perfectly steamed vegetables with a little spinkle of crazy salt is all i need.

I guess my point of view, is why turn something meant to be healthy, unhealthy with butter, might as well not even eat them. As far as lobster, yes its healthy, but its not something you eat often (unless you're rich), might as well splurge with a little bit of browned butter.

Dipping in a little butter doesn't make a vegetable unhealthy. You still get all the vitamins, minerals, and fiber and unless you go nuts with the butter it doesn't have to add much in fat and calories.

I have never had a whole artichoke (I've had hearts in a salad), I rarely if ever see them in the supermarket. I feel deprived now!