I remember when........

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    I remember working my first office job where the staff would smoke at their desks! (gross!!!)

Oh man! I remember being 18-19 and applying at an office where the workers all smoked at their desks (and this was like 1996, which if you ask me is way past the "acceptable" era to do that). I didn't smoke but I really wanted to work there anyway and they didn't hire me. Now I'm glad! Gross.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I remember when we were about 15, we pooled our money and bought 23 cents worth of gas so we could drag main. It was plenty cause Main Street was only 2 blocks long, and we were only allowed to drive 15 minutes since we didn’t have a drivers license.

Was that the law (being able to drive 15 minutes w/out a license?)? Hilarious!!

I remember when getting .25 cents was a great thing to get from the tooth fairy

Yep. Our local sheriff knew everyone. You were allowed to drive straight somewhere(grocery, drugstore) and straight home when you were 13, drag main once when you were 14, and stay in town 15 minutes when you were 15. If you stayed too long, he talked to your parents and you lost your driving privileges until you got your license.

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I remember when we were about 15, we pooled our money and bought 23 cents worth of gas so we could drag main. It was plenty cause Main Street was only 2 blocks long, and we were only allowed to drive 15 minutes since we didn’t have a drivers license.

Yep. Our local sheriff knew everyone. You were allowed to drive straight somewhere(grocery, drugstore) and straight home when you were 13, drag main once when you were 14, and stay in town 15 minutes when you were 15. If you stayed too long, he talked to your parents and you lost your driving privileges until you got your license.

That is living in a small town for you! too funny
  • PAPYRUS3
    I remember working my first office job where the staff would smoke at their desks! (gross!!!)

Oh man! I remember being 18-19 and applying at an office where the workers all smoked at their desks (and this was like 1996, which if you ask me is way past the "acceptable" era to do that). I didn't smoke but I really wanted to work there anyway and they didn't hire me. Now I'm glad! Gross.

Yes...You escaped getting lung damage for sure! Can't say the same for me though :#
  • fairytale_babe
    fairytale_babe Posts: 391 Member
    I was little and I tried to hang upside down. ... slipped literally landed on my head. And my neck had never been the same 😐
  • 4my3gurls
    4my3gurls Posts: 104 Member

And you still ate all the candy you wanted with those 25cent buying penny candy
  • dagee2
    dagee2 Posts: 129 Member
    Asking A/S/L in an AOL chat room
  • epangili
    epangili Posts: 818 Member
    I remember dot matrix printers and waiting "forever" to print before making it to college class.
  • gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,115 Member
    I remember typewriters, rotary dial phones, black and white remoteless tv's, no seatbelts in cars, and smoking allowed everywhere....damn I am feeling old...lol
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    dagee2 wrote: »

Dude...people do that here!!!!
  • SeptemberSun_1333
    SeptemberSun_1333 Posts: 2,742 Member
    I remember on excite chat rooms linking avatars so people would know you were together with that person.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    I remember when you could buy a single fav song in a 45
  • paddydiver24
    paddydiver24 Posts: 567 Member
    Pong was THE game!!
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    I was called Peppermint Patty as a child 🥴
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    dagee2 wrote: »

I remember doing this on ICQ and mIRC
  • gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,115 Member
    I remember when cigarettes were advertised everywhere...
  • Countryboy72
    Countryboy72 Posts: 90 Member
    I remember when Atari was the new game system
  • 4my3gurls
    4my3gurls Posts: 104 Member
    I remember having a black planet account
  • PAPYRUS3
    gcibsthom wrote: »
    I remember when cigarettes were advertised everywhere...

...and smoked everywhere - my first office job everyone smoked at their desks!
    4my3gurls wrote: »
    I remember having a black planet account

I don't even know what a 'black planet account' is lol!
  • KelleyCakes
    KelleyCakes Posts: 6,609 Member
    Stores were closed on Thanksgiving.