Just started running- advice pls

So, if I’ve said it once, I’ve said 100 times, I freakin HATE running. I get bored, my mind wanders, my whole body screams at me, etc. But a few weeks ago I started on the treadmill and set a goal of 2 miles. Then it was 3. I’m up to 4. I set the incline sometimes to crank up the intensity. So my question: for increased fitness, should I shoot for distance, speed or HR? I try to keep my HR between 140-175 for at least 30 minutes but I typically go 45 minutes. I can do 3 miles in 45 minutes, which I know is SLOW. I’m also really short (5’) so I don’t have a long stride! 😅 So don’t judge. 😉😅

Replies

• KDBisme
    KDBisme Posts: 49 Member
    Thank you!!! Right now the fastest my little legs go is 6mph. Lol
  • KDBisme
    KDBisme Posts: 49 Member
    I’ve heard of couch to 5K but kinda forgot about it! Thanks for the reminder!! I’d love to set a goal of running some race in the spring. It’s going to be winter here before long so I’ll stick with the treadmill for now.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I run a lot and have for many years. I have never really enjoyed it, but it just seems to be the most effective way for me to burn calories.

Increasing distance or decreasing time are both measures of improved fitness levels. I alternate between the two. Sometimes I go for a nice long slow run, and other times I go for a shorter quick paced run.

On the treadmill (which I agree with others is kind of boring so I only use it sparingly) I find a nice pace and maintain that for 10-20 mins, I like to throw in some sprinting to push my heart-rate up. Bottom line is keep running, you will improve. The body adapts to stress, and you will make gains in both distance/duration and speed.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    KDBisme wrote: »
    So, if I’ve said it once, I’ve said 100 times, I freakin HATE running. I get bored, my mind wanders, my whole body screams at me, etc. But a few weeks ago I started on the treadmill and set a goal of 2 miles. Then it was 3. I’m up to 4. I set the incline sometimes to crank up the intensity. So my question: for increased fitness, should I shoot for distance, speed or HR? I try to keep my HR between 140-175 for at least 30 minutes but I typically go 45 minutes. I can do 3 miles in 45 minutes, which I know is SLOW. I’m also really short (5’) so I don’t have a long stride! 😅 So don’t judge. 😉😅

Totally up to you, me, i only run 5ks but i just aim to get faster. Some people dont care about speed but completing a distance. It does not matter, you do what you want.
  • MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    KDBisme wrote: »
    Thank you!!! Right now the fastest my little legs go is 6mph. Lol

Twice the average walking pace, a decent running pace.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    I used to run a fair amount but now mostly cycle but here's my best advice:
    - running is a lot more fun outdoors. Personally I did 80%+ of my running on a trail. Bonus = better on joints. If you run in nature/beautiful places its 1,000x less "work" and more fun
    - add slowly. Big jumps in distance or pace cause injury.
    - as you improve mix it up. Have days that are longer runs but slow pace (if you get into it these ares your LSD days...). Have days where you do speed work but run for less time.
    - find running partners or club. Way more fun.

Dreadmill will wear you down.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Is it the running you hate or the running on a treadmill? I love running but despise treadmills, they're mind numbingly boring but on days where there's freezing rain or a thunderstorm they beat not running.

If you really hate running consider another activity. It's not the only way to improve your fitness (even though there are running specific benefits such as bone marrow health).

If it's the treadmill that you hate you can run outdoors in the winter with the appropriate gear (it gets down to -40 here on occasion in the winter and I still enjoy getting out there)
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Run outdoors, run with a friend, slow down in some intervals and take in the sights around you a little, change venues, variety helps. If I'm running on a treadmill, I set up a TV and watch something I'm interested in to pass the time. These are the types of things that make running tolerable to me. Good luck!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I don't worry about speed, more about the distance and being out and about in lovely places.

I have been roundabout 15 min miles for a long time, and did a half marathon on that. Now on week 4 of an ultra training programme and edging towards 13 min miles. That's more the result of going 4 times a week though, I don't deliberately try for speed.
    Out on the trails though, up the hill, against the wind, through the mud - the only goal is to finish 😆

Audio books and podcasts keep me entertained, Sunday I was listening to Dracula as I ran through the fog on the hills. Very atmospheric.

Regular run with a friend in a park that ends at a cafe.

Depends on your goals really, what do you want to achieve? Different distances, how competitive you want to be, trail/road, obstacle races, all of them need something slightly different.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i personally hate running with people. i have the monthly running group here and belong to a few facebook groups but mostly run with my dogs alone.
    i sign up for a few races here and there to keep "moving forward"
    there are many different training plans available for free online.
    get fitted for your shoes at a local running store. they are also great local resources for groups and workshops.
    bodyglide and similar products help with chafing
    good bras help with the bounce

don't get caught up in the numbers. just go. find routes that you like. drive to a coffee shop and start a run there and get coffee when you're done. or something similar.
    start slow and easy. it isn't generally recommended not to increase mileage more than 10 to 15%
    consider a "naked" run. don't bother with any tech. just run. maybe there is a distance or time goal but in general just go with the feel of it
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    I am in the minority, but I love my treadmill. I don’t use it exclusively (although I did start out that way), but I never find it boring or onerous to use. Sometimes it is a relief to hop on the treadmill because I seem to run faster on it, and there are no hills so it’s an easy run with little effort. Also I can read a book or watch a tv episode and I am done before I know it.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    1. if you hate running, ask yourself why you insist on doing it. There are other ways to get a HR pump for 30 minutes if that's your goal.
    2. i go for endurance rather than speed. i'm looking forward to the day I can sustain a jogging pace of 4.1 mph for 30 minutes. right now, i can go for 2 minutes,maybe 2-1/2 and have to walk for 1 minute in between jogging bursts.
    3. i alleviate boredom with audio books, and find that I enjoy the uninterrupted story time! I've figured out how to pay attention to my feet and not lose track of the story.

good luck and hope you find some cardio love , no matter what kind it is.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Do you hate running or do you hate running on a treadmill? Either way, forcing yourself to do something you hate isn't going to stick for long. There are many ways to get healthy and fit...there's zero need to force yourself to do something you hate.

I hate running...I've always hated running except for sprints (I was a competitive track and field sprinter and jumper). If you see me running, everybody better be running because some bad *kitten* is about to go down. On the other hand, I love road cycling. I love mountain biking. I love hiking trails in the mountains. I love rock climbing. I love walking my dog...I do the things I love, not the things I hate.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    As a long distance runner, my advice is choose what you enjoy. If you really enjoy running or challenging yourself...go for distance. If you want to get it over with, stick with shorter distance and speed. Try signing up for races of different lengths, set goals, train for those goals and stick with what's most fun for you. Human gerbil wheels are frustrating for me...if you can't run outside, try finding an indoor track for the winter months.