Plateaus

Options
Hi I everyone I’m new to this community though I’ve been using MFP for over a year now. I’ve lost 27lbs and over 46 inches. I really need help with a plateau. I can’t seem to get past 27 to hit the 30# mark and then on to another 22lbs after that. I keep going up and down the same couple pounds since August and can’t seem to break through. I’ve started lowering my calories to 1000-1200 and working out 3-4x per week. Weight lifting 1-2x/week and cardio about 4x/week. Help!! Any suggestions or tips would be really appreciated! Thanks
Jackie NYC

Replies

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Your calories are too low. You shouldn’t go under 1200 calories. You should also be eating back your exercise calories when you are at that low of a calorie goal.

How do you measure your portions? Do you use a scale to weigh everything?
  • denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stalled? If you’re not losing and not gaining then you’re eating at maintenance calories. Are you using a food scale to weigh everything you eat? How do you calculate exercise calories? How much do you have to lose?

Please don’t listen to people telling you you aren’t eating enough. That makes no sense if your weight loss has stalled. There’s no such thing as starvation mode.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Tighten up your logging of everything - food, exercise calories burnt, overall activity level with step count. Recalculate your advisable calories for a loss of 1/2 lb per week and eat those for a few weeks. If the scale doesn't move, take *all of your logs* to a doctor and consult with them about what is going on.

For the doctor visit to be helpful, you'll need as much good data as possible, which is why I advise you to tighten up your logging of EVERYTHING - not just food. Log headaches, insomnia, hours of sleep, ALL OF IT. If you notice a problem like not enough rest, correct it and see if it doesn't help. If you *can't* seem to correct it, then it's definitely something to mention to your doctor. (When I don't sleep, I put on water weight. When I *can't stay asleep for longer than 4 hours* that's a *symptom* of something going on with my general health.)

You should see a doctor before undertaking a VLCD *anyway* and your doctor may have a few *much easier fixes* for the ROOT PROBLEM than eating fewer calories.

There are a number of very helpful stickies, too, on troubleshooting your plateau. Things like zig-zagging calories have helped others break through. Look through the stickies, tighten up your logging of all the things, talk to a doctor, and see if you can't come up with a plan to move forward.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    denjan333 wrote: »
    How long have you been stalled? If you’re not losing and not gaining then you’re eating at maintenance calories. Are you using a food scale to weigh everything you eat? How do you calculate exercise calories? How much do you have to lose?

Please don’t listen to people telling you you aren’t eating enough. That makes no sense if your weight loss has stalled. There’s no such thing as starvation mode.

I’m assuming you’re the one who hit disagree to my post. I didn’t mention starvation mode and I agree with you that it’s not a thing but the fact is that eating under 1200 calories is not healthy for anyone. Unless OP is very very short (well under 5’0”) 1200 calories is not maintenance level calories. So yeah, I am right that she’s not eating enough, if she’s truly only eating 1100-1200 calories, which she’s probably not because no one eats 1200 calories and doesn’t lose weight.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    What is your age, height, weight, and goal weight? How long have you been stalled? How long have you been doing that much exercise?

Without more information here are my guesses:
    1. Your weight hasn't been stalled long and you are not actually in a plateau, just being understandably impatient.
    2. You're experiencing water retention from all of the exercise.
    3. You aren't weighing your food and are actually eating more than you think.

As @shortgirlrunning stated, you should not be eating 1000 calories per day. Unless your are very very short, that is undereating and unhealthy.
  • 865wea
    865wea Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you for the amazing comments and insights I’m learning so much and all are so valuable. I’m 5’8” 56 yrs. currently weigh 162lbs and I was 167 in August, but fluctuating 163/165/162/163/164 argh you get the picture. I really want to break the 160 mark before my Bday in 2 weeks. Is that being impatient? Going over everything said my plan is
    1. Buy a food scale immediately. Any suggestions on best one?
    2. Going Over my logs best drops in #s come eating 1300 calories 5 days 1500 calories 1 day and 750 calories 1 day. Just saw this pattern and don’t know what it means. Last several weeks my avg is 950 - 1050.
    3. Doctor 🤯 told me I will be overweight my whole life if I don’t take metformin. Great thanks doc. BUT every diet I’ve ever been on people have told me I drop pounds much slower than others with similar food intakes. Somehow the science is weird for me. Have resisted the ´Metformin thing.
    4. Symptoms have popped up. Going to bed 1-2 hrs later than usual. And have more headaches and feel very parched even drinking 36-42oz h2o.
    5. Start eating more veggies for bfast.

Any other action tips? I will keep you all posted
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I am worried about your thirst level and headaches, but I also think you should drink more fluids. I'm only 5'4 and I drink about 90+ oz of water per day, not including coffee and tea. (I try to drink about a quart of water with each meal. I have to take rather a lot of pills, so it's easy to drink that much just to wash down all my maintenance drugs and vitamins.)

I would increase your calories to the 1300 to 1500 range where you had the best success and feel free to go over and under calories as long as your *weekly* calories add up to the same amount. That should increase your energy and enable you to move more. I take a med every other day that makes me a bit nauseated. Those days, I tend to eat 70-150 calories less, and I generally try to eat those calories back the next day when I'm not taking the med and it's easier to find food appealing. :) Long as I keep my weekly total calories in the right ballpark, everything seems to work according to plan.

I'd suggest you not put the pressure on yourself about the *date* by which you'd like to lose x amount of weight. Watched pot never boils and all that. Instead, focus on how you feel each day and doing what you can to get more/better sleep and eat healthy things that still make you happy to be eating rather than bone crushingly sad to be in deficit.

I myself am up about two and a half pounds after just hitting 160.8 earlier this week. Last night I had ramen for dinner at a restaurant, AND I got a flu shot. That's gonna have me retaining water for DAYS, but I know that if I stick to the plan I laid out and don't stress, the water will go away and I'll drop.

I, too am really excited about seeing weights in the 15x range, so I'll be cheering for you and completely ready to fist bump you when it happens. :)
  • rdkdm7
    rdkdm7 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I know not many people will agree with me, but intermittent fasting is working for me.
    I tried counting calories. That worked for a couple months.
    It stopped working for me.
    Went to the dr. and my thyroid was actually really good.
    No more excuses. So I tried intermittent fasting.
    A month in, I surpassed the plateau, the weight keeps coming off.
    Very excited. Very happy. My mood has improved. I can also eat a cookie, and be ok.
    It worked for me.
    I only walk now and I'm thinking I'll be back in the gym this winter with new motivation.