How I stopped kidding myself

123457»

Replies

• stubbornloser
    stubbornloser Posts: 83 Member
    Great post!
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Excellent post and thanks for bumping! Learning a lot here about weighing food. Some of these tips will save some time cuz dang....I’m spending so much time weighing, measuring and logging lol. But I’m a newbie so I guess it will get faster.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    bearly63 wrote: »
    Excellent post and thanks for bumping! Learning a lot here about weighing food. Some of these tips will save some time cuz dang....I’m spending so much time weighing, measuring and logging lol. But I’m a newbie so I guess it will get faster.
    Yes, it does get faster! I am still learning through tips and tricks on here, but I am doing much better than I did when I first started! And like others have mentioned, in time you get pretty good at guesstimating - makes it a fun game...

I am in the market for a larger scale. Mine maxes out at 5lbs which is fine and dandy for single portions and meals, but when I cook 5-6 qts of soup in a solid stainless steel or cast iron pot it’s just not happening.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Bump
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    I made a crockpot beef stew yesterday, adding the ingredients into a MFP recipe. My crockpot is a 6 qt so I just transferred the 6 quarts into cup servings to determine the calories.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    The victory when one manages a perfect measure is real. Made vegetable moussaka over the weekend. I'm in the UK, so all cooking and baking is by weight, not by volume, and when I measured 20g butter for the roux, perfectly, first time, you better believe I was doing a happy dance in the kitchen.

Then I had a mass fail on getting cheese right first time. To be fair, I cook with butter or oil most days, and indulge in cheese considerably less frequently.

But as an American transplant to the Home Counties, I find measuring completely second nature now, because that's how all our recipes are notated. So for Americans, if you want to build that habit, try switching online recipes to metric. It worked a treat for me!
  • JulieCA76
    JulieCA76 Posts: 6 Member
    edited December 2019
    Hmm sounds like I need to break out the old food scale... I got one from weight watchers years ago, and had great success with it. But I got "smart" and here I am. Sad about the PB though, I haven't actually measured mine -I'm dreading it! Gotta make sacrifices if I want to lose, right? Happy Tuesday to everyone
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    JulieCA76 wrote: »
    Hmm sounds like I need to break out the old food scale... I got one from weight watchers years ago, and had great success with it. But I got "smart" and here I am. Sad about the PB though, I haven't actually measured mine -I'm dreading it! Gotta make sacrifices if I want to lose, right? Happy Tuesday to everyone

Food scale use is not only more accurate, it's super easy once you learn the tricks - for sure easier than cups/spoons. To get tips, take a look at this thread (and ignore the misleading click-bait/joke title):

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498882/weighing-food-takes-too-long-and-is-obsessive
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Bumping since I'm here and it's a damn good post!
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    I remember the first time I weighed the mayo on my plate and then checked how many calories were in it :s
  • SeanD2407
    SeanD2407 Posts: 139 Member
    Never looked at peanut butter the same way again after this food scale.
    Calorie wise, you get more bang for your buck metaphorically from cream cheese.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    bump