Wife's birthday....

Options
So I had a good day at work yesterday, had a GREAT workout after work. Then I got home. It was my wife's birthday. She wanted to go out. Absolutely! I'll have a couple light beers, some protein for dinner and have a good calorie day. Well....that didn't happen. Started off with 3 pulled pork street tacos. Then some of the wife's Poutine with shredded pork, and melted cheese curds. Then the server brought free dessert. Funnel cake fries. Wow. When we finally got home, wifey brings out the Fannie May Pixies I got her. Yikes. Over by 700 some calories. I was looking forward to the scale Monday, but not so much now......

Replies

• tauntonmom
    tauntonmom Posts: 139 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Put it in perspective: keep that up for 5 days in a row and you might gain a pound, assuming you were 700 calories over maintenance. No big deal! Look forward to that Monday weigh in with confidence that the enjoyment and celebration will barely have caused a blip.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    It sure was good though, wasn’t it? Don’t do it again today. Keep the memory, not the habit.
  • stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It sure was good though, wasn’t it? Don’t do it again today. Keep the memory, not the habit.

It was. But the guilt!!! awful lol!
  • ItsMyLife1956
    ItsMyLife1956 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Read this. He gets a little rough with the language, but it puts days like that into perspective.
    https://physiqonomics.com/magnifying-glass-effect/
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    You only have one birthday for you wife a year. I am glad you got to enjoy it with her. For me, celebrating my wife's birthday is more important than celebrating my own. Once day certainly won't throw you off track. So don't feel guilt about it, just focus on getting back on track today.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    It's just one day. You can be good again today. We're allowed to slide once in awhile it's getting back up and staying on the wagon that's the most important. This is a long haul....one bad day won't derail you
  • stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Read this. He gets a little rough with the language, but it puts days like that into perspective.

Absolutely made sense and great writing!! Are you a subscriber to him?
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    You only have one birthday for you wife a year. I am glad you got to enjoy it with her. For me, celebrating my wife's birthday is more important than celebrating my own. Once day certainly won't throw you off track. So don't feel guilt about it, just focus on getting back on track today.

This!!

It's all good. I would rather celebrate being blessed with another year of life of my husband once a year, than stick to a hard calorie deficit every day.

Don't let this get you down. You are going to do better today. And tomorrow. And next week. 😀

It's not the odd off day but it's what we do all the other days that make up your weight and health for that matter. Just get back to it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    One day? 700 calories over maintenance? A blip.

I can't tell you how many times I've exceeded my maintenance calories by 700 or more in four years of maintenance (but it's quite a few - dozens, maybe more . . . and I'll bet 700 is a higher fraction of my maintenance calories than yours, since I'm an average height li'l ol' lady). But I was still BMI 22-point-something, around the center of the normal weight range for my height, as of this morning.

Celebrating your wife's birthday is a wonderful thing, not something that should make either of you feel bad or guilty. It only happens once a year. Celebrating important occasions with food and drink is part of our culture, a way to share joy. That will usually happen a few times a year. In weight management terms, it's pretty insignificant.

The majority of our days determines the majority of our outcomes. No need to fret about the rare exceptions.

Weigh yourself on Monday, laugh at the water weight, learn from it, and move on. It'll level out in a few days, even if it is up a little. Truly NBD.

Best wishes!
  • ItsMyLife1956
    ItsMyLife1956 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    stv1520 wrote: »

Absolutely made sense and great writing!! Are you a subscriber to him?

Yes I am. Pretty good emails now and then. And some of the other items he posts are fun reads. Does not spam your inbox with ads or other crap.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    stv1520 wrote: »
    So I had a good day at work yesterday, had a GREAT workout after work. Then I got home. It was my wife's birthday. She wanted to go out. Absolutely! I'll have a couple light beers, some protein for dinner and have a good calorie day. Well....that didn't happen. Started off with 3 pulled pork street tacos. Then some of the wife's Poutine with shredded pork, and melted cheese curds. Then the server brought free dessert. Funnel cake fries. Wow. When we finally got home, wifey brings out the Fannie May Pixies I got her. Yikes. Over by 700 some calories. I was looking forward to the scale Monday, but not so much now......

At least you both had a good time put the guilt behind you life is to enjoy special days like this you can always get back to it as the week goes on!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options

True it does put it into perspective, thanks