Are there any good tasting Light Beers?

Options
I love my Pale Ales and Stouts but at about 150 to 200 calories per bottle I can only have one or two on the weekends. I can't stand the taste of standards such as Bud Light, Miller Lite etc... Any suggestions for a Lighter beer that still has some flavor?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love Michelob Ultra Lime or Bud Light Lime.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    The real answer to this question is no.
  • aunt_hbomb
    aunt_hbomb Posts: 204
    Options
    I am a part-time bartender and Mic Ultra seems to be the most popular.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    Guinness actually has a surprisingly low number of calories when compared against the others. Only 126 in a 12 ounce bottle. And oh so tasty.
  • brewingaz
    Options
    I've been brewing for about 10 years as a hobby, and it is really difficult to juggle beer and fitness sometimes due to the calories. The best trick I've learned is to work out extra hard so you can enjoy the beer you like.
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options

He's right. : (
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Eww, no. Just deal with the higher calories and run yourself around the block a few extra times.
    No offense, but when someone says pale ale and stouts, bud miller coors is kind of not good. (BMC)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    No. "Light" should refer to characteristics, not the calorie content of your beer. Do yourself a favor and buy the best two beers you can have, and enjoy every bit of them.
  • Animaniac87
    Options
    BudSelect has 99 calories per 12oz bottle. And tastes like BudLight. Also there is MGD 64 which has 64 calories, but it taste pretty watered down. That or MichUltra- i believe it has like 95 calories

Happy Drinking!
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    We like Corona lite - but if you are a pale ale lover you may want to try Sam Adams lite. Has a stronger taste. Good luck and make sure you count those calories. :smile:
  • sharonsgottaloseit
    Options
    Michelob ultra light amber
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    True story.
  • brewingaz
    Options
    No. "Light" should refer to characteristics, not the calorie content of your beer. Do yourself a favor and buy the best two beers you can have, and enjoy every bit of them.

In brewer's world, it does. But in the brainwashing that the mass marketing of BMC breweries, they have made everyone believe it refers to calories.
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    ZombieKillaPrincess Posts: 404 Member
    Options

i'm afraid it's true. light beer sucks.
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    Corona Light with Lime it also has only 5 carbs (if your watching that, i am) and 99 calories per 12 oz bottle. Suprisingly Guinness has 125 calories for 11.2 oz and only 10 carbs so not too bad and it tastes great!
  • h82bfat
    h82bfat Posts: 77
    Options
    Guinness actually has a surprisingly low number of calories when compared against the others. Only 126 in a 12 ounce bottle. And oh so tasty.
    Yep! The lady speaks the truth.
  • sassyag1999
    sassyag1999 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Michelob Ultra Amber
  • infamousmk
    Options

In brewer's world, it does. But in the brainwashing that the mass marketing of BMC breweries, they have made everyone believe it refers to calories.

I preach the good word of light as a characteristic every chance I get!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    This
    I've been brewing for about 10 years as a hobby, and it is really difficult to juggle beer and fitness sometimes due to the calories. The best trick I've learned is to work out extra hard so you can enjoy the beer you like.
    And this. If it says "light", then I won't drink it. I went to a ball game the other night and had a coupon for a free beer. When I asked the options, they were either Bud Light or Coors Light. It was free so what the heck, right? We'll, I had 2 sips of my Bud Light before I figured that my water was just as good.

If you're a beer lover, then there's just no way around it. Once a week (or every couple weeks), I just make sure I have the cals for a good beer. The lowest cal "good beer" that I've found is Fat Tire at about 150 cals for a bottle. Now that fall is upon us, my favorite beer season is upon us as well... all the brewers are coming out w/ their variations of "Oktoberfest" and I'll be drinking up! :)
  • infamousmk
    Options
    All of these Lite beers make baby beer jesus cry.