Any advice on what I can do to slim down my legs??

I lost about 40 pounds this year but it seems like most of that weight was from my stomach. To me My legs look almost the same as they did before I lost weight. Any time I have anywhere to go, I walk there and when I don’t have anything to do I like to go for a run. Sometimes when I’m just watching tv I’ll do little exercises like squats, a plank, crunches or something like that.

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Legs are always last for me too. My body just hangs on to weight in my hips and butt longer than other parts. They do eventually slim down but despite years of trying (lots of running, walking, biking) and I am afraid my legs will always be large. Definitely have improved though, just not the same degree as the rest of my body. Keep at it but 'spot reducing' doesnt really work. You can shape your body to minimize whatever disproportions exist, so I hit the weight room a lot to bulk up my back, shoulders and arms to give me a better balanced look.
    congrats on the loss
  • My legs are the last to lean out. We don’t know your stats but if you are on the high end of a normal bmi it is quite possible your legs will seem slimmer at a lower weight. Why not try losing a few pounds and see?

Oh and lifting helps too. My legs look more shapely after a few years of barbell squats deadlifts leg presses and leg extensions.
  • smal48
    smal48 Posts: 102 Member
    My thighs are the last part of my body to lose weight too. I had to cut down to lowest healthy BMI (19) to get them to slim down and they are still more chunky than the rest of me. I do a lot of home workouts and run too when I can and that’s helped as they are hard now rather than soft, but they are still thicker than I’d like! I think we just have to accept our body’s shape, and as others have touched on, be grateful that it’s supposedly healthier to be a pear rather than an apple!
  • smal48
    smal48 Posts: 102 Member
    Also, I don’t know how to find it or link it but there was a thread on here somewhere where women posted their thigh measurements and actually I was surprised that they were on average much higher than I would have guessed. So you may have unrealistic expectations of how slim women’s thighs are anyway.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    smal48 wrote: »
    My thighs are the last part of my body to lose weight too. I had to cut down to lowest healthy BMI (19) to get them to slim down and they are still more chunky than the rest of me. I do a lot of home workouts and run too when I can and that’s helped as they are hard now rather than soft, but they are still thicker than I’d like! I think we just have to accept our body’s shape, and as others have touched on, be grateful that it’s supposedly healthier to be a pear rather than an apple!

Same here. I've come to accept that's just where my body likes to store fat and I have to live with it. But they are much more shapely with lifting.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I'm another with larger legs. Part of that is muscle, from a lot of hiking and running. I am very proud of that part. Part of it is genetics. My family tends to store fat in the thighs. Part of it is my perception being off. When I look down at myself, my legs seem huge. When I see a photograph of myself, or my body in a store window when I'm wearing shorts, I'm always surprised at how thin they actually are.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I'm another with larger legs. Part of that is muscle, from a lot of hiking and running. I am very proud of that part. Part of it is genetics. My family tends to store fat in the thighs. Part of it is my perception being off. When I look down at myself, my legs seem huge. When I see a photograph of myself, or my body in a store window when I'm wearing shorts, I'm always surprised at how thin they actually are.

Definitely can relate to that. My legs are bigger as well, with good muscle mass, but also not lean enough. It seems to be near impossible for me to bring them to a slimmer state. They look huge when i look down on them, but in the reflection, the mirrors, and in the pictures they actually look perfect.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,780 Member
    The last place the cellulite went was the legs. I am at the lower end of BMI and a runner. What are your stats? It could also be genetic. I would love to build up some more muscle but I hate weight lifting... Sigh.