I'll never be happy in this body.

Options
I am 41 and 5' 4" female I started this journey last year at 270 lbs. I have made it to my goal weight of 130 lbs but sadly I'm still not happy. My face looks gaunt, my belly is still shaped like a B and biggish. Oh and the extra skin that is everywhere is just awful. I can literally grab my skin by the fistfuls and pull it up on my stomach, sides, back and bottom. Shower time turns onto a pitty paryy and I hate looking in the mirror. Just having one of those days where it is all getting to me I guess. Hard to keep going when i am hating the results.

Replies

• reflectionofme
    reflectionofme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    First off CONGRATULATIONS on your weightloss! What an amazing accomplishment. Secondly you are not alone in how you feel about your post weightloss body. I for one am in the same boat. I describe it as living in a deflated water balloon, not much fun. Mirrors are the worst when naked. Luckily clothes hide most of it for me. Sorry but I don't really have any helpful advice for you just know that I understand. Hugs
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    They are war scars imho... wear them with pride! I do.... I am not having removal either.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Why not have the skin surgically removed?
    Is it very expensive?
    As hard as you and many others have worked to lose all that weight, dont you think you deserve to look amazing and have that skin removed?

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Kst76 wrote: »
    Is it very expensive?
    As hard as you and many others have worked to lose all that weight, dont you think you deserve to look amazing and have that skin removed?

Well, the average cost is around $8000 and isn’t covered by insurance. So yeah, it’s pretty expensive.
  • reflectionofme
    Options
    Kst76 wrote: »
    Is it very expensive?

In Canada medical will cover the cost of a panniculectomy but that is it. The rest of it would be out of pocket so 10's of thousands to cover the rest of the problem areas 😪
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Loose skin does get somewhat better with time; how much better, you won’t know for a while. That gaunt face look also gets better as your body adjusts to your new weight. I’m down 125 lbs and after a year at my current weight my face looked much better.

You are amazing! You are so strong to have come so far. You may never have the perfect body but I believe you can be happy. Everyone gets down sometimes, Hoping you feel better about everything soon.
  • enriquen1
    enriquen1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!!!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    “I’ll never by happy in this body”

Sounds like a decision that you’ve made. Beware. Don’t take your weight loss success for granted. The potential for regaining everything and everything + is real. The road to quitting has some common entry points. One of which is “not good enough.”
    If your results aren’t good enough its a short step to “might as well quit.” You say so in your post.

Push back. A big part of weight loss is the fight with our own brains and its bad habits. Overcoming old negative thinking is a common theme on this board. People routinely claim that they lose big amounts of weight but just don’t “see” it. You’re a bit different.

Maybe start by making a list of things that you think are better because you’ve lost weight. Do you feel better? Can you do things you couldn’t do before? Are there things you would like to try? Maybe get out and do them. Find some ways to reinforce the positive aspects of what you’ve done. Do you look better dressed? Do your clothes fit better? Do you need some new clothes? New clothes changed everything for me.

Consider changing the way you talk to yourself. Next time you look at yourself in the mirror try saying “I’m really not very satisfied with this. “ Not happy with the results.” Maybe “not happy with the results so far.” “Hating.” Is extreme and emotionally charged. Can you look at it another way that expresses displeasure without turning it up to 10?

There’s a kind of buyer’s remorse tied to our expectations. Were your expectations a bit out of whack when you started?
    Goal weight really changes nothing but the number on the scale. What we make of it is up to us. Would you be better off with fitness goals right now?

Last- you’re not alone in this. Loose skin is a common complaint and it looks like surgery is the only sure answer. But be careful with this whole thing. I’ve been at weight loss and maintaining quite a while and loose skin is frequently the topic of the last post from a lot of people. I was in Weight Watchers with a guy who started at 400+ lbs and had lost 100. The day he mentioned loose skin was the last day we saw him. Keep working. Good luck.

Well Said!
  • reflectionofme
    Options
    I totally second the compression boy short style undies. I can not wear regular undies as my stomach just falls out the leg holes.
  • 2018memyselfandI
    2018memyselfandI Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I totally second the compression boy short style undies. I can not wear regular undies as my stomach just falls out the leg holes.

Haha, me too!