Keto diet anyone?

Options
I am starting keto tomorrow?!?!? Any ideas? Thx

Replies

• jamesbrooks71
    jamesbrooks71 Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Avocados and green veggies with any kind of meat will be your best friend. Try to keep as close to natural meats rather than processed which include trans fat. Meal preparation will be key for meals when you dont have a lot of time to cook or when your at work. Last but not least, log your food. It will be easier when you can see what your macros are though out the day.
  • hellonurse54
    hellonurse54 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started Keto 3 days ago😁 I’m happy to say, it’s better than I thought! I went into Ketosis the next day. MCT oil is a great helper! Also I have Ketone Strips to check if I’m in Ketosis and at what level. Optimal, High or Negative. I just weighed myself and I was happy that I dropped 5 pounds since my start. I read that the first 10 pounds is mostly water, but it has to start somewhere lol. Also start out with the 1 tablespoon dose of MCT Oil at first. See if your body likes that dose, otherwise you can get a bit out of kilter with your bowels. Too much MCT Oil = No Bueno haha. If you drink coffee, you can add the MCT Oil to it. Good Luck, and keep us posted on your journey into Keto! I would love to hear what works for you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I am starting keto tomorrow?!?!? Any ideas? Thx

How much do you already know about keto? What are you target macros? Do you know about keto flu and how to prevent it?
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I don't do keto- but check out you-tube
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Best tip is to not start until you know the diet. There are some consequences if you don't know how to properly address your electrolyte levels. Overall, focus on whole foods. Mainly fatty cuts of meats, dark leafy greens, cheese, seafood, full fat dairy, avocados, and full fat dressings.

I would skip MCT oil. Its just a bunch of calories that provide little benefit. You can get the same impact from coconut oil (a little less concentrated).

If you want to do keto coffee, just use heavy cream and/or butter.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Why keto? why not whole food vegan? Paleo? South Beach? Do you plan on being keto for life?

Pretty much no one follows a diet for life. And just because you aren't doesn't mean there isn't a reason to follow a specific diet.
    I know I won't be following it for my whole life but i am seeing success cutting with it. Once i am done, i will bulk with a more moderate to high carb diet.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Why keto? why not whole food vegan? Paleo? South Beach? Do you plan on being keto for life?

Pretty much no one follows a diet for life. And just because you aren't doesn't mean there isn't a reason to follow a specific diet.
    I know I won't be following it for my whole life but i am seeing success cutting with it. Once i am done, i will bulk with a more moderate to high carb diet.

Exactly sir or ma'am... that's my point. Unless you learn a WOL... it's all a waste..
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options

I am a perfect example of this. I swear by one large meal a day aka IF, aka warrior diet. It works so well for me i never stick to counting calories or daily exercise. I am a yoyo. At least it takes years to gain back what only takes a few months to lose.....for now...i am not getting any younger.

• AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I would postpone until you’re fully ready to commit. You should have food plans and strategies for what you’ll do for keto flu or cravings etc. If you’ve not done keto or low carb before you could be in for some surprises.

I read once before I started keto to “drink a lot of water and then double it” for the first few days to help with keto flu, this was really great advice for me as I never seem to drink enough water.

Good luck!
  • psychod787
    Options

Exactly sir or ma'am... that's my point. Unless you learn a WOL... it's all a waste..

That is literally the complete opposite of what I wrote. You don't need to be a life long card holder of keto to follow and understand how it works. It is completely fine to run different diet strategies throughout your lifetime. All you need to do is understand the rules, make sure it's sustainable for a given period of time and figure out a transition plan (this part is where people often struggle).

Look at bodybuilders. Many will be high carb during bulks and keto during cuts. I am no different. I am keto to cut and probably low to moderate carb during maintenance.

That is literally the complete opposite of what I wrote. You don't need to be a life long card holder of keto to follow and understand how it works. It is completely fine to run different diet strategies throughout your lifetime. All you need to do is understand the rules, make sure it's sustainable for a given period of time and figure out a transition plan (this part is where people often struggle).

Look at bodybuilders. Many will be high carb during bulks and keto during cuts. I am no different. I am keto to cut and probably low to moderate carb during maintenance.

No, not the opposite. Many people jump on a trend diet and never learn a dang thing about nutrition. You did learn..... You know how and why keto works, high carb, macro counting... ect... thus a WOL. You use a diet for a goal... and then transition to most likely fairly healthy nutrition.
  • psuLemon
    Options

thats exactly why most people gain weight back. they diet, lose weight, go back to how they used to eat. developing and sticking to a way of eating that you can maintain the rest of your life is what leads to successful, long term weight loss. many people do a low carb lifestyle, which is more flexible and overall healthier for long term success (extreme low carb diets aside).

There is zero evidence out there that supports changing the name from diet to lifestyle increases success rate, at least from what i have seen. Since the term has been popularized in the past decade the success rates haven't improved. I can tell you, i know a lot of people who failed at lifestyles.
  • psuLemon
    Options

No, not the opposite. Many people jump on a trend diet and never learn a dang thing about nutrition. You did learn..... You know how and why keto works, high carb, macro counting... ect... thus a WOL. You use a diet for a goal... and then transition to most likely fairly healthy nutrition.

Would could argue semantics all day long. But i wouldn't agree. I have no issue deviating from the keto "wol" if i want something outside the diet. Following a WOL indicates you follow a specific protocol. But we can curtail the conversation for respect for the OP.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options

thats exactly why most people gain weight back. they diet, lose weight, go back to how they used to eat. developing and sticking to a way of eating that you can maintain the rest of your life is what leads to successful, long term weight loss. many people do a low carb lifestyle, which is more flexible and overall healthier for long term success (extreme low carb diets aside).

There is zero evidence out there that supports changing the name from diet to lifestyle increases success rate, at least from what i have seen. Since the term has been popularized in the past decade the success rates haven't improved. I can tell you, i know a lot of people who failed at lifestyles.

So much wisdom here. You can call any diet a lifestyle but you can call it a failure if it doesn't work for you. You can call it a food reset, intuitive eating, a way of life, a fitness plan, clean eating...all of them claiming to be superior to the next but there's no hard fast rules out there that says you have to do anything for the rest of your lifetime. That's just more All or Nothing Thinking which can completely stunt your growth. It doesn't give me a big pinch that you keto part of the year and do something else the rest of the year. I'm just happy you've found your own positive food management plan that works for you. See there, that's what I call mine and it's not superior to the word diet. It's just different, that's all.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Would could argue semantics all day long. But i wouldn't agree. I have no issue deviating from the keto "wol" if i want something outside the diet. Following a WOL indicates you follow a specific protocol. But we can curtail the conversation for respect for the OP.

He wasn't arguing semantics with you. You're so convinced you are that you failed to realize you're supporting his view in your second sentence. At the third sentence, you switch to arguing semantics by changing changing WOL as he was using it.

Generally the depth of your disagreement probably lies at what you think the level of experience is that is need to transition and follow a different diet, and probably for which kind of diet.
    I'm inclined to agree with Psychod on it. If keto curbs someone's appetite, learning to eat a more balanced diet or even just learning to cyclically keto as a response to rebounds is hard - the keto appetite supression is going to be training wheels that are not just suddenly removed on the bike, but now the person is riding a completely different bike that doesn't have the wheels.
    You are correct that it is certainly possible to do.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Avocados and green veggies with any kind of meat will be your best friend. Try to keep as close to natural meats rather than processed which include trans fat. Meal preparation will be key for meals when you dont have a lot of time to cook or when your at work. Last but not least, log your food. It will be easier when you can see what your macros are though out the day.

The USA - and I think several other regions - doesn't allow use of trans fats in processing food. The only trans fats that should be in any food in the US should only have naturally occurring trans fats, which have mixed evidence on health effects.
  • anabla
    anabla Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started keto this week! Dr Berg, Thomas DeLauer and Dr Becky Gillespie’s YouTube channels are my go to
  • psychod787
    edited October 2019
    Options

He wasn't arguing semantics with you. You're so convinced you are that you failed to realize you're supporting his view in your second sentence. At the third sentence, you switch to arguing semantics by changing changing WOL as he was using it.

Generally the depth of your disagreement probably lies at what you think the level of experience is that is need to transition and follow a different diet, and probably for which kind of diet.
    I'm inclined to agree with Psychod on it. If keto curbs someone's appetite, learning to eat a more balanced diet or even just learning to cyclically keto as a response to rebounds is hard - the keto appetite supression is going to be training wheels that are not just suddenly removed on the bike, but now the person is riding a completely different bike that doesn't have the wheels.
    You are correct that it is certainly possible to do.

That was what I was eluding to. People who take a dietary extreme, such as keto, tend to never learn how to transition to a less restrictive diet and then we get the yo-yo cycle. @psuLemon , you are a seasoned weight cycler, you can easily be IIFYM or Fad and have little trouble. Some people, crave structure, so I see the benefit for them having a "do this" "dont do that" program. It gives them boundaries to follow. The trouble I see with Keto, is it probably one of the more restrictive diets out there. What I am concerned with is also the A.V.E. or Abstinence Violation Effect. So, someone wants a cookie or two. In most cases can throw them out of ketosis. So, diet blown and the gloves are off. I mentioned several "diets" above that are "fads", but might have a better transition and limit the AVE. Then again, I am a novice compared to you.... So what do I know? WOL.... well what I mean is, if you want to start out with a cookie cutter program and it gets you started losing weight, great, but learn a WOL that you can maintain while you are losing. It was one of my greatest regrets while losing, was I never learned nutrition. I had to learn on the fly post weight loss.