really need SLOW CARB friends

I really need some friends who are eat the slow carb lifestyle for general support, motivation, and accountability. I would really appreciate it! Just for info i'm 42 years old with 80 pounds to lose, and i could really use all the support i can get because i'm so tired of stopping and starting over and over

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    @Sabine_Stroehm used to talk about that way of eating, but I haven't seen her around lately.

Higher fiber sources of carbs, largely whole foods, like veg, fruit, beans, lentils, maybe whole grains? Kind of non induction South Beach, maybe?

OP, is that close?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    What is slow carb?

It appears to be a highly restrictive and repetitive low carb diet with an off day each week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    @Sabine_Stroehm used to talk about that way of eating, but I haven't seen her around lately.

Higher fiber sources of carbs, largely whole foods, like veg, fruit, beans, lentils, maybe whole grains? Kind of non induction South Beach, maybe?

OP, is that close?

That is how I would define slow carb, and I feel great when foods like that comprise my main source of carbs, but the OP is probably referring to Timothy Ferriss' plan, which is overly restrictive IMO.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/slow-carb-diet
  • lemurcat2
    kshama2001 wrote: »

OP, is that close?

That is how I would define slow carb, and I feel great when foods like that comprise my main source of carbs, but the OP is probably referring to Timothy Ferriss' plan, which is overly restrictive IMO.

Ah, thanks. Maybe if OP comes back she could clarify.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited October 2019
    I tend to eat in a way that is largely “slow carb” complaint much of the time because I find that beans & lentils are highly satiating and I find my energy levels are more stable. These are things that help me stay in a calorie deficit.

I don’t follow “slow carb” but I find a lot of my meal choices are compliant. I eat things I like. I don’t eat things I don’t like. I also eat donuts and bacon cheeseburgers.

I don’t eat this way to enhance or create weight loss. You can eat anything you want and lose weight as long as you consume fewer calories than you burn.

OP-are you doing this for weight loss or is there another reason you’ve selected this way of eating? If you are finding that you are needing to restart often, slow carb probably isn’t the best choice for your way of eating. It’s not necessary to eat this way. If you enjoy it, great. If it helps you maintain a calorie deficit or otherwise enhance your life, great. But it’s not necessary.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Never heard of slow carb. Sounds interesting. I eat (moderately) low carb and absolutely love this WOE, but since I also love legumes, I would like to find more info on a slow carb diet. I do eat green bananas and enjoy taking small breaks from low carb which freaks out the Keto police :D .
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2019

OP, is that close?

I'm around. And still eating slow carb! Thanks for the tag @lemurcat2 You summed it up well. I started eating slow carb (with insights from south beach) before Tim ferris wrote his book and took my phrase lol. As I conceive of it, it's not a restrictive way of eating. It makes compliance very doable.

• lemurcat2

OP, is that close?

I'm around. And still eating slow carb! Thanks for the tag @lemurcat2 You summed it up well. I started eating slow carb (with insights from south beach) before Tim ferris wrote his book and took my phrase lol. As I conceive of it, it's not a restrictive way of eating. It makes compliance very doable.

Great to see you posting.
  • kenthepainter2
    kenthepainter2 Posts: 58 Member
    I follow the southbeach style of diet, not rigidly. The lower carb diets treat me well, I don't have bad gas, all day long, when I follow a lower carb diet and I also don't feel bloated all the time either. That alone is worth it to me !
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    I follow the southbeach style of diet, not rigidly. The lower carb diets treat me well, I don't have bad gas, all day long, when I follow a lower carb diet and I also don't feel bloated all the time either. That alone is worth it to me !

South beach would be more like SLOW than low, but I agree, I feel less bloated as well.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    kshama2001 wrote: »

OP, is that close?

Tim kinda hijacked the phrase, unfortunately. His diet IS overly restrictive (and not always logical).

Out of curiosity, for the person who disagreed with this post of mine, what did you disagree with?
  • lemurcat2
    Tim seems to be lurking!