How is food measured on myfitnesspal

Does this thing measure raw food in cups , grams , etc or cooked ? Because my research and labels and experience in numbers on here for protein and stuff is higher than what I am reading . It’s says I have over 200 G protein and my labels and research show about 1/2 of that

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2019
    The majority of database entries were created by other users. You should check any entry before using it to make sure whatever metrics you are looking to track were entered and are accurate. You will find entries for raw food and cooked food, and entries that list cups, grams, ounces, slices, servings, milliliters, etc. Sometimes the serving metric is a drop down box you can choose from, other times not.

If you can't find an entry for the item you need to log that is correct and provides the serving method you want to use, you can create your own entry.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    There is no standard way that database entries are measured. However, it sounds like your problem comes from inaccurate database entries as @kimny72 said.

Once you have accurate database entries, I would strongly recommend weighing all of your food and not using any measuring cups. Measuring cups are far less accurate than weighing food.

As far as cooked vs. raw, I prefer to weigh food raw so there is no variation from things like water absorbed/evaporated, and I make sure to choose an accurate database entry for raw/uncooked weight.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    it depends on the database entry you select.

buy a food scale. learn how to use it and weigh correctly. learn how to find accurate database entries and use those. nearly everything i log is in grams. meats should be weighed raw (most thing are really, unless the package says otherwise). one of the few exceptions i make is for rice. i eat so little of it, i use a database entry for cooked rice in grams. if i ate more of it, i would weigh it raw and enter it that way. but the one or two servings a month i have of it, is not a big deal for me for it to be slightly off
  • Every day my protein level on here seems to be way higher than research and experience I have in real life for years I just question it because when I google the food item and read labels it says different thank yall
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I’m wondering if you’re maybe looking at labels and calorie tables on websites and seeing protein numbers per 100g which is not jibing with your actual portion sizes and therefore your real life numbers?