is 10 pounds a large amount of weight?

Options
I’m 20 years old and Im 5’6 and I weigh 125 pounds. Is losing 10 pounds gonna be a noticeable amount of weight? I hear a lot of people saying that 10 pounds isn’t really anything to lose.

Replies

• abikas
    abikas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    From your current BMI, it would probably be noticeable. Just make sure you don't rush it as you're already at the lower end of a healthy weight and losing that much weight too fast could really damage your health. Perhaps talk to your doctor about it before you embark on any weight loss, to make sure you can get there safely.
  • RFC2549
    RFC2549 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes. When you're close to or at a healthy weight, it's very visible. May be a whole clothing size.

• ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    For your body type, 10lbs is a lot to lose. If you're 5'6" and 300lbs, 10lbs might not be that noticeable.

If you're interested in changing what your body looks like, start working on toning and muscle building. I don't mean bulking up, but you really don't have much fat to lose so if aesthetics is your concern you might benefit from strength exercises rather than cardio. I am not a doctor though, so you should seek professional advice as well.
  • liaoverbrook
    liaoverbrook Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 + a little under eight stone, ten pounds off me would be a big deal.

I think 10 pounds off anyone is a large amount of weight and is a reasonable goal to aim for :) You can always evaluate it as you progress
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    gracie8234 wrote: »
    I’m 20 years old and Im 5’6 and I weigh 125 pounds. Is losing 10 pounds gonna be a noticeable amount of weight? I hear a lot of people saying that 10 pounds isn’t really anything to lose.

At 5’6” Youre already close to being underweight. At 115lbs you are going to look anorexic. Focus on maintaining your weight and converting fat to muscle with a regular exercise program.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Maybe try recomp, stay the same weight but change your composition?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,972 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I'm slightly taller than you (just under 5' 7"), and 124 was the very bottom of my weight, and there was never going to be 10 pounds to lose. Perhaps someone VERY fine, with NO muscle, but I wasn't "buff" or overly muscled (I was strong, but not very muscly looking as I didn't lift weights regularly). Personally I found 128ish to be about right for me at the time.

Still working on losing, and the last 10 pounds I lost (from 154-143) is very noticeable. The next 10 will be as well.

Like has been pointed out, on someone who's much heavier, it may not be as noticeable, but at your size, it would probably be pretty extreme.

You may find that you would be happier doing a recomp (not losing any more weight, but starting lifting weights to shape your body, build some muscle, and trim up remaining fat stores) rather than trying to just lose weight.
  • gracie8234
    gracie8234 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    It might also be worth pointing out that losing 10 pounds or even 5 pounds at your current stats will be a grind. A very long one at that. Your eating would have to be super controlled and you would need to take 2 week diet breaks about once every 6 weeks. Any attempt to go fast will likely leave you malnourished and cost you muscle which will undoubtedly worsen your appearance.

Alternatively in this case recomp might actually give you positive results faster than a deficit. If you have been losing weight up until now and you are not happy yet because of "skinny fat" it is because you need to tone your body.

so if i lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks that would be too much?
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    that is 8% of your body weight you want to lose. 1% per week is maneageable, but at the lower range you need to be close to 1/2% a week. for you that is around 1/2 lb per week. It really should take you 4 months to safely lose 10lbs. The best way to do it would be to maintain what you are currently eating and add a strength program.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    gracie8234 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    It might also be worth pointing out that losing 10 pounds or even 5 pounds at your current stats will be a grind. A very long one at that. Your eating would have to be super controlled and you would need to take 2 week diet breaks about once every 6 weeks. Any attempt to go fast will likely leave you malnourished and cost you muscle which will undoubtedly worsen your appearance.

Alternatively in this case recomp might actually give you positive results faster than a deficit. If you have been losing weight up until now and you are not happy yet because of "skinny fat" it is because you need to tone your body.

so if i lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks that would be too much?

:lol:

• MoKaaz
    MoKaaz Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It really depends on body type, best bet would to go for ten pounds and as you go decide when to stop. Your goal could also be a different amount of inches on your body which would likely be an easier thing to keep track of for what your goal is