Stuck in Weight loss Plateau... Help?

Options
So I recently gave birth on July 3rd, 2019 and I'm currently 4 months post-partum. I so far have lost 40lbs. I went from 223lbs to 183lbs. But i have been stuck. I attempted to do keto and iI was able to get down to 178 but then i let myself slip up again ): so im at 183. My true goal is to get down to 160lb by the end of december because I am going to Brazil to see family. Is there any tips how i can break a plateau? As of right now I am just doing a normal 1,200 cal diet, 150g of carbs, 40g of fat, and 60g of protein. Should I modify this? Or is any keto dieters have any recommendations on how to jump back on? (in one week of keto I lost 11lbs). Ugh guys help a girl out.

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    why so many carbs? Lowering it may help, I dont do keto but try to keep it around 100 gr.
  • PBAUSA17
    PBAUSA17 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting (or time restricted eating) worked for me.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Are you weighing everything you eat and logging into the food diary?

Why only 1200 calories? You may have chosen too aggressive a weekly loss number.
  • Marqiiz
    Marqiiz Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Are those your daily macros? 150C 40F 60P?
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    That is a big weight loss in a pretty short period of time, and will be tough to maintain.

Having said that my suggestion would be to consider moving your protein up, fats up a small amount, and carbs down.

Did MFP pick 1200? Or did you pick as the lowest number you could do?

I bumped up to 1400, below is what is considered moderate carbs as is less than 150 grams per day.

Still all comes down to Calories in VS Calories out. But many find a moderate Carb way of eating is helpful.
    Remember if exercising to eat those calories back or at least half of them.

Say 1400 calories a day
    35% carbs = 123 grams =492 calories
    40% fats = 62 grams =558 calories
    25% Protein 88 grams 352 calories
  • masennate
    masennate Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar calories per day and calorie distribution as you and plateaued at about the same weight, the best advice I got during the plateau was to incorporate more movement.

Take the log way around, park at the back of the parking lot or jog in place, whatever works for you. Also adding some sort of strength training; squats, lunges for lower body and I use a resistance band for arms.

I didn't need to modify my daily calories, carbs, fats or proteins and I started losing again. Persevere, it will pay off.

Good luck!
  • Namtabmi
    Namtabmi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ramp those calories up. Aim for around 40% carbs 30-35% fat 25-30% protein. Aim for 1/2 pound (250cal) to at most 1 pound per week weight loss. Your body needs fuel to function properly. those initial weight losses are nice but long term they are very unrealistic. good luck and have fun in Brazil! I'm sure your family will think you're beautiful no matter how much you weigh.
  • itskase
    itskase Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Marqiiz wrote: »
    Are those your daily macros? 150C 40F 60P?

currently yes
  • Marqiiz
    Marqiiz Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I track (kinda/sorta) macros as well and on days that I dont workout the amount of carbs are cut by 2/3. For example on days that I workout they're 143P 82.5F 140C on rest days they change a bit 143P 97.5F 50C.

I'd suggest cutting down on carbs on off days. I hope whatever you decide to go with that it works for ya.
  • rdkdm7
    rdkdm7 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree with the intermittent fasting.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Calories are what drive weight loss. Carbs however can create a water weight gain particularly if you have been low carbing. Eat what you can stick with for life. As for setting the goal for December I would suggest not getting hung up on it. Do your best between now and then. Your family will be so thrilled to see you that your weight isn't going to matter. When I got stuck I managed to restart my weight loss by taking a week off dieting and eating at maintenance. That helped me to start losing again but I had been dieting for a year at that point and was stalled for three months. I gained a couple of pounds over the week then I started to lose again. I finally got to goal. One other thing to consider is recalculating your goal. You have lost a fair amount of weight and you may have to lower your calories or be content with losing slower. MFP doesn't automatically lower your calorie goal as you lose. Don't forget your smaller body needs less calories to maintain now so it will lose slower.