Does anyone here practice Nutritious Movement?

Options
I’ve been reading up on it and watching videos on the subject, and am finding it really interesting as a way to live a less sedentary life during non-workout periods of the day.

I was wondering if anyone else is interested in it too, or has been putting it into practice in their day to day lives?

Replies

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I don’t know what the “Nutritious Movement” is, specifically, but I love the method you described of getting more non-workout activity into my daily life. I think it’s really helped me in my weight-loss and maintenance efforts. I highly recommend it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Sounds like increasing what is referred to as NEAT - (non exercise activity thermogenesis)

Theres a good thread about that here >>
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

As a rule I aim to be as active as possible throughout my day, taking the stairs instead of lift/elevator, parking car further away, moving more around the house, its little movements along with purposeful exercise that all add up to increase our TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Need to add this to my list, it's no. 349. Would this be a specific bowl movement or what? If our ancestors would have known about that 10.000 years ago....How much trouble and how many problems they would have been able to avoid.... And still: somehow we have managed to enter the 21st century....? It must be a miracle! ;)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    I’ve been reading up on it and watching videos on the subject, and am finding it really interesting as a way to live a less sedentary life during non-workout periods of the day.

I was wondering if anyone else is interested in it too, or has been putting it into practice in their day to day lives?

I find that not driving a car does that for me. I end up walking everywhere.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    never heard of nutritious movement - but i guess someone needed to give it a name - but MFP uses NEAT and i've also heard the term LISS (low intensity steady state) used as a way to describe increase in daily movement and which based on some of the research i've read, seems to be more indicatative of long-term success than heavy workouts (NFI)
  • MaintainInTheMembrane
    MaintainInTheMembrane Posts: 63 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I definitely agree that anything that raises your TDEE is a good thing.

Basically, the founder. Katie Bowman, coined the term, ‘nutritious movement’, because she wanted people to think similarly to the way we view diet: the foods we eat in a day. So, she started thinking about her exercise ‘diet,’ eg, the exercise she was doing in a day.

She encourages lots of active movement, as you would expect, but also more variety in what we do each day, so a balanced ‘movement diet.’

She talks about how we all live very cushioned lives, and encourages people to try floor sitting more often, walking barefoot more often (or with barefoot shoes), and adding texture to our walks, such as walking on pebbles, sand, uneven surfaces, etc. She tries to encourage people to think of texture under our feet as the ‘vitamins’ of our exercise ‘diet’.

It’s hard to explain it all in detail because there’s so many different aspects she explores. But I am going to be reading as much of her stuff as I can, because I love how her ideas always make me think more consciously about how I’m moving from day to day. I’ve been floor sitting more often, when I remember, and I’m finding myself very happy with how it makes me feel, so far.

I wanted to edit to answer the person who mentioned our ancestors: Katie thinks a lot about movements our ancestors used to do in their daily life that we have done away with over time, and encourages people to try to bring some of those movements back into our routines.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    She talks about how we all live very cushioned lives, and encourages people to try floor sitting more often, walking barefoot more often (or with barefoot shoes), and adding texture to our walks, such as walking on pebbles, sand, uneven surfaces, etc. She tries to encourage people to think of texture under our feet as the ‘vitamins’ of our exercise ‘diet’.

I've lived in Australia for a decade ... walking barefoot much of the time is just normal.

• MaintainInTheMembrane
    Options
    I’ve only lived in Australia. I spent a lot of my life barefoot, but the past decade, I’ve rarely done it at all. Reading up on Nutritious Movement has really made me reflect on how I’ve been living and thinking about why I’ve been stuck in certain habits, and where I’d like to make changes.

Katie talks about how cushioned our shoes have become, and how inflexible and weak many people’s feet are, these days. She points out that we use more muscles in our feet and range of movement in the bones and joints when we go barefoot. And adding texture challenges our muscles, coordination and balance further. And considering our feet need to support our entire body weight, it makes sense to encourage more foot strength and flexibility.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    but its not like that is new - i remember that being discussed in Born to Run (Christopher McDougall) that was written a decade ago - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6289283-born-to-run?ac=1&from_search=true
  • MaintainInTheMembrane
    Options
    Yeah, a lot of it isn’t necessarily new, because she specifically is encouraging people to bring back lots of old movements many of us have given up as technology makes us more comfortable.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    but its not like that is new - i remember that being discussed in Born to Run (Christopher McDougall) that was written a decade ago - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6289283-born-to-run?ac=1&from_search=true

Great book, IMO! Got me committed to zero-drop shoes and no heel strikes.

Coincidentally, I've been injury-free while running ever since ;)
  • MaintainInTheMembrane
    Options

Great book, IMO! Got me committed to zero-drop shoes and no heel strikes.

Coincidentally, I've been injury-free while running ever since ;)

That’s fantastic!