Weight loss surgery coming up

Options
Hello, so I have weight loss surgery scheduled on Nov 22. I am terrified. Not only because of the potential issues that may arise, but because since I changed jobs in May, I don’t have enough sick time to cover me or any fmla protections (the weight loss surgery process began when I was still employed at my other job). I have about 80-90lbs to lose and I just need some motivation, tips, success stories to show me I can do this on my own since I really don’t want to go through with this, but have many failed attempts at losing weight. Thanks : )

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I've known people who have lost successfully with WLS and people who have lost without it. I tried WLS (Lapband) and failed. A few years later after the band was removed I came here and lost over 100 pounds. I think @NovusDies is correct. Either way it can be a tool but the actual changes have to come from you. I believe in addition to the Larger Losers (which is a great group!) there are also WLS groups. You would have to search under groups for them. They are more likely to be helpful in your surgery journey than the general boards should you decide to continue.
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am surprised you are even a candidate for the surgery if you only have 80-90 to lose. I have lost that much without any surgery. So, I agree with trusting your gut.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    aries68mc wrote: »
    I am surprised you are even a candidate for the surgery if you only have 80-90 to lose. I have lost that much without any surgery. So, I agree with trusting your gut.

I paid for the surgery myself although my doctor was very supportive. I had High blood pressure and was type 2 diabetic.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Hello, so I have weight loss surgery scheduled on Nov 22. I am terrified. Not only because of the potential issues that may arise, but because since I changed jobs in May, I don’t have enough sick time to cover me or any fmla protections (the weight loss surgery process began when I was still employed at my other job). I have about 80-90lbs to lose and I just need some motivation, tips, success stories to show me I can do this on my own since I really don’t want to go through with this, but have many failed attempts at losing weight. Thanks : )

You need your job to survive and pay the bills. You're 'terrified' of the consequences. Those are strong words and I would heed them. You can always opt for surgery down the road or reschedule it when your circumstances will allow for it. Right now, it sounds like the timing is off. Sit down with someone. Face-to-face. Talk all of this through with your medical professionals and find your alternatives. You have many other options and surgery would be the last one on my list. Research the long term stability statistics with surgery at the two year and the five year mark. There's only a 2% difference between those with WLS and those who opted to edge their way down slowly with CICO.

Start cruising through the backroads of this forum. Find the Maintainers and let them inspire you on a daily basis. The athletes, the fitness gurus, teachers, coaches, mothers, fathers...they're all here. Start here and taking those tiny steps for tiny feet all add up to whopping boatloads of weight loss success waaay into your future.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    No matter what you decide, you still have to do the work, eat less calories than your body burns. There’s always a risk with surgery and there are no guarantees, no matter how the weight is lost, of keeping the weight off. It takes a conscious effort to maintain a weight loss long term. I lost 140 pounds without WLS @ age 60. Gained back 50 pounds of that because I went back to bad eating habits. Fortunately, I came to my senses before I gained it all back. It’s simple, eat less calories than your body burns to lose weight, but never easy.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I lost 220 naturally. Currently dealing with some effects of losing so much so quickly, getting better with SOME regain. With 80lbs to lose, you might not NEED surgery. I have seen multiple people get surgery, lose large amounts of weight and regain much of it. You have to fix what's upstairs before you work on what's below it. I talked several wl surgeons and they told me, "dont get the surgery!" What it does to the body can be horrid!
  • daniwon
    daniwon Posts: 2 Member
    Options

• daniwon
    daniwon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had WLS last year exactly and I’ve lost 133lbs in that time. Think of it this way where do you see yourself next year? Are you still struggling with your weight? Are you the healthiest you’ve ever been? I’ve been over weight my whole life and went from a size 26->12 in a year went from 388 to 225 (I lost 30lbs on my preop diet). I never would have accomplished this without my tool (sleeve). Not to say it’s been easy. It’s the hardest thing I’ve done but when I was diagnosed with diabetes at 29 I knew I had to do something! All I saw on WLS pages was people regretting not doing it sooner. I didn’t want to be them but I am I wish I would have done it in my early 20s but I wasn’t ready then but I wanted to have babies and now I feel I can do that safely.