Gaining muscles

Options
Hello,
I’m new. I’d like to gain muscles but I’m slender and my muscles are long so it is a bit harder to show a lot of muscles.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Eat in a slight surplus - 250 calories over maintenance - and follow a proven progressive lifting program.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

4xt42kyj627u.jpg
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    you just need to start weight training.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    If you don't have much fat any muscles will show very quickly - so you are actually very lucky!
  • RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1. Progressive overload
    2. Slight calorie surplus

If you're new to strength training you may find you gain reasonably quickly. In terms of the way you emply progressive overload there are a few options. The most common being lifting weights, but you might also want to try some basic bodyweight exercises to ease you into it.

Good luck
  • 84creative
    84creative Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your goals.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Hmm . . . I think y'all forgot to add one more of the important things: Eat adequate protein. (Not crazy excessive, but enough.)
  • 84creative
    84creative Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hmm . . . I think y'all forgot to add one more of the important things: Eat adequate protein. (Not crazy excessive, but enough.)

I hear it’s 1g per lb of lean body mass but not sure if the same rule applies to women. I can’t see why not.
  • flotek72
    flotek72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    84creative wrote: »
    I hear it’s 1g per lb of lean body mass but not sure if the same rule applies to women. I can’t see why not.

From the studies I've read, 0.75g-1g per pound of body weight is fine. There wasn't really a difference in growth in that range. 1g is safe and an easy number to calculate macros, so most people go with that.

Same rule should apply to women. Muscle growth process is the same for every normal (this excludes diseases) person. Even with the 1g/lb rule, they still would be getting less than men, which is the case with most dietary needs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    84creative wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

There are varying opinions, but that one IMO should be fine for most people, including female ones like OP and me. ;) .

Many people don't have a decent body fat estimate to let them calculate lean mass, so 0.8g protein per day per pound** of healthy goal weight is close enough to equivalent, for most people.

No one who is materially overweight needs to eat extra protein just because of extra fat mass, so "per pound** of current bodyweight" is often overkill, and can be impossibly so for a woman on a relatively low calorie goal (because the calories for the unnecessary extra protein drive out ability to get other needed nutrition).

** Yes, I do mean pound, not kg.