Protein🤔

Options
What are the 3 best proteins out there? I haven’t tried any yet. But I would like to. I’ve heard it’s best to drink a shake before working out.... thanks!!

Replies

• flotek72
    flotek72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've tasted a few brands and I still go back to Quest Nutrition Chocolate flavored.

Also, drinking a shake before working out does not have any significant effect. It is just a supplement for another protein source like meat, eggs, fish, beans, etc.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese, Tuna and Eggs...are easy protein sources to have before a workout. I add pasturized egg whites to my smoothies, again easy add of protein.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Odd question, but I imagine you mean protein powder rather than actual protein sources.

I’ve never understood the need for supplementing actual natural food with manufactured things like vitamin/mineral capsules or protein powder.

However, I seem to be in the minority so have at it with whatever tastes good, I guess! I’ll stick to actual food though! 😉
  • flotek72
    flotek72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I’ve never understood the need for supplementing actual natural food with manufactured things like vitamin/mineral capsules or protein powder.

There are reasons for it. Time can be a factor. So can easy accessibility. Sometimes there are people who want to gain weight and can't reach their protein goals because they feel full before hitting them. Drinking a protein shake can help in these cases. But you are correct, natural food is best.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for premixed or one you shake up yourself?
    Do you have restrictions - for example, lactose intolerant or vegan or you don't/can't eat certain sweeteners?
    If mixing it yourself, will it have to be with water? Or can you mix with milk or a milk substitute?

Personally, I don't like drinking a shake before working out - it makes me kind of sick. I do have them sometimes after working out or just as an afternoon snack when the rest of my day is a bit lower in protein. I drink Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. It mixes super well, doesn't have stevia (which I can't have), has lactase in it (but I still take a lactase pill), and tastes pretty good in milk or a milk substitute. Currently I have the chocolate malt flavor.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    My go to's are eggs, turkey, chicken, cottage cheese, artificial crab, tuna, peanut butter, yogurt, milk

As far as supplement powder or power bars I grab whatever is on sale because I don't take them very often anyway.

Not sure I agree drinking protein before a workout is best...I prefer having an empy'ish bladder/stomach or I cramp up especially if any cardio is involved.
  • bbasusena
    bbasusena Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks everyone for their information! And yes I meant powder. But I haven’t taken or tried any. I have been doing natural also. And before I work out I usually have half a cup of almond milk with 1/3 of oatmeal and half a banana.
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Whichever one is on sale at Costco.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Beef, chicken, tuna

Lamb, salmon, shrimp. Steak is nice, however, and so is roasted chicken and I do like eggs.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks everyone for their information! And yes I meant powder. But I haven’t taken or tried any. I have been doing natural also. And before I work out I usually have half a cup of almond milk with 1/3 of oatmeal and half a banana.

If you go to a Whole Foods and likely lots of other places you can buy protein powder, you can buy single serve ones and try them. I'd recommend this as it's really variable. Lots of people recommend the Quest ones, which I hated, and I was disappointed in the Optimum Nutrition ones I tried, which were recommended to me. I kind of like the Biochem natural flavor.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Beef, chicken, tuna

I "liked" this, but wanted to point out you forgot eggs and milk, which have better (more "complete") amino acid profiles than beef, chicken, and tuna.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

If you want to boost your protein, use dairy milk or soy milk, not almond milk (unless it's a nonstandard almond milk that has been fortified with protein).

ETA: for a powdered add-in for smoothies or oatmeal, I prefer plain whey isolate powder (I use Bob's Red Mill) and plain partially defatted peanut meal (not PB2, which adds stuff after defatting -- I've used a couple different ones, currently using a brand called Pure Protein, but I haven't noticed much difference among the ones that are nothing but partially defatted peanut meal).
  • ConnerMichaels31
    ConnerMichaels31 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Beef, chicken, eggs, salmon, whey protein is a good place to start. Especially if you use a scoop of it with a scoop of organic vegan vegtable protein powder for your vitamins.
  • earthlingv
    earthlingv Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Gold Standard whey protein powder for years. I love the flavours (Vanilla is my favourite), and the powder blends really well with water or milk. It has a really smooth texture. I've tried protein-based powders, but I've found them to be really chalky and unpleasant to drink, as they wouldn't dissolve entirely and cling to the back of my throat.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I like MyProtein. It's pretty cheap too, but most of the flavours taste pretty good. I struggle to eat enough protein.
  • Constance320
    Constance320 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    O drink collagen peptides. Less protein than protein powder i think but tastes fine in pure water. I use vital proteins brand.
  • NasMax
    NasMax Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Hey dude,

Standard whey is typically the cheapest & gives you the most bang for your buck per service (leucine content)

There's alternatives for veg & dairy free etc,

What's the goal?

Why do you feel you need to supplement your protein intake?

Feel free to pick my brain, I'm a nutrition & training coach (don't worry, I have nothing to sell, I don't coach women lol)