Calories

Options
Hi so I have changed my calories to 1660 a day to loose 1.5lb a week. Just wondering when I gym should I eat my calories back or not? Just read up that a women needs 200 calories a day to maintain her weight. So if I was to eat back my calories I had I burnt today say 300 I would be eating 1960 a day....

Replies

• paigethurlow95
    paigethurlow95 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ah yeah that makes sence thank you! I’ll see how I go! I lose 3.5 stone eating 1200 + my exercise cals last year but I’ve put just over a stone back on so this time I’ve upped my calories.
    shaf238 wrote: »
    Assuming your 1660 target is accurate, general advice is to eat back about half your exercise calories because it's usually overestimated. Best thing to do is to track over a few weeks what's happening with your weight and adjust your intake up or down accordingly.
    shaf238 wrote: »
    Assuming your 1660 target is accurate, general advice is to eat back about half your exercise calories because it's usually overestimated. Best thing to do is to track over a few weeks what's happening with your weight and adjust your intake up or down accordingly.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hi so I have changed my calories to 1660 a day to loose 1.5lb a week.
    But what is your actual rate of loss?

Just wondering when I gym should I eat my calories back or not?
    Yes, all of them if they are reasonably accurate.

Just read up that a women needs 200 calories a day to maintain her weight.
    2000 is often stated as maintenance for an average woman, not for all women!
    Are you larger than average? More active than average? Do more exercise than average?

So if I was to eat back my calories I had I burnt today say 300 I would be eating 1960 a day....
    But what do you think your TDEE was today?
    YOUR deficit not a deficit for a theoretical average.

PS - I maintain on 3000 - 3500 cals depending on my exercise volume despite an average man's allowance being stated as 2500. In my position OP do you think I should go by my actual results or take that theoretical average into account?

PPS - I'm older than average and 5'9 which I think in GB is now under average height.