Please help with a plan

Options
Hello all, I apologize in advance for the length this will be. Been here before, but much has changed, and I really need some advice for diet plan/macros. Any help or advice building a healthy and sustainable plan is much appreciated. About me: I'm a 27 year old female, 5'5" weight ~350lbs, non-active lifestyle, diagnosed with PCOS years ago that is only managed with mirena IUD. I do not have health insurance currently and have not had a general workup done in years, but I can guess based on the past that I am proabably at minumum pre-diabetic. Also, my body is absolutely wrecked (primarily my back) and I am pretty much at rock bottom in every aspect of my life. I HAVE to make changes, because I cannot live like this anymore. In my late teens/early 20s I had success with low calorie (1200 cal) and moderate workouts, but clearly that was not sustainable for me diet wise-years of old eating habits returned, chronic back issues arose, an unhealthy relationship entered, and then a terrible breakup ripped away my rose-tinted glasses about my life and here I am. So, basically, I need to drop a lot of weight, and I need to do everything in my power to get my back pain under control. I was never a fan of low-carb due to not finding it sustainable in my life, but I really feel due to my health condition(s) that I need to drop the carbs due to insulin resistance. So- people with experience and knowledge: what should I do for my numbers? If you made it this far I appreciate you ♡ this post unintentionally turned into a vent lol

Replies

• alyanne92
    alyanne92 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input! I also think breaking it all down it to tiny goals and steps is the only way for me to do this. MFP had me at around 2000 cals with 50% carbs, and I felt that wasn't realistic for me as I am almost always sitting/laying down due to my back pain right now, so I reduced to 1800 and carbs to 35%, fat 50%, and protein 25% as a starting point. I logged my first day and it looks realistic- although I did not quite reach all macro goals. I guess I am just going to go the trial and error route and see what happens lol
  • weightliftingbarbie
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I've also got pcos
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    i could never do keto but a lady at my gym lost 160 lbs by eating 100 gr of carbs or less a day and this was doable for me, I get some carbs and it is a lifestyle I can handle. I just log my calories, worked well for me and I am 40 lbs lighter than my highest weight.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    My medical record also cites PCOS, but TBH it's the *least* of my problems.

That said, I've found that switching out many of my refined carbs to whole grain alternatives helped reduce my insulin resistance gradually and sustainably, and once I could do so without worrying about homicide (I used to get HANGRY like nobody's business.) risk, I found that intermittent fasting (IF) really brought my insulin resistance down to "gone."

I don't recommend changing everything all at once, but since you seem to be open to long range plans and short term goals, I totally agree with the recommendation/your decision to focus on protein, I recommend gradually switching out processed carbs for less processed carbs over time (like, pick one product per shopping trip to switch out for a whole grain alternative.) for increased fiber and longer satiation periods, and possibly check into intermittent fasting to see if it's a method of managing calorie deficit that works for the way you think/feel.

:)
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Low carb or keto is really good for women with PCOS. I know it’s not for everyone but it is very beneficial for me and a few of my friends on here with PCOS. I also like low carb cuz it really helps me with my cravings and it speeds up my weight loss which is extra motivating.

Feel free to add me and good luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do what you can to keep up your PROTEIN and FAT. :) They both matter! foods that are lowish in carbs and have fats include tofu, nuts, avocados, bacon, pork chops, dark meat chicken, cheese.
    Good luck. :star:
  • rbaldwin21
    rbaldwin21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs several years ago and have kept it off other than a few gains (minor). Key for me was to take it slow (3 lbs per month) and exercise a lot.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    You can definitely eat way more than 1200 calories a day and lose weight. I would start by putting your info into MFP and setting it sedentary and a goal to 1 lb a week weight loss (yes, 2 sounds better but I think it's better to ease into dieting - it's marathon, not a sprint). Track and log all your food. Buy a food scale if you don't have one already and weigh everything.

I wouldn't even worry about macros at this point. If a doctor hasn't told you that you need to go low-carb, don't worry about going low-carb. Though if you haven't been to the doctor in awhile it wouldn't hurt to schedule exam and get your health checked out.

I also highly recommend the podcast "We Only Look Thin" Tons of great advice from a married couple who each lost over 100 lbs.
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS,what worked best was low carb,metformin,and walking daily...Get your numbers checked to kniw where you stand.Some people may not need to take meds or go low carb..good luck!