Weight loss after 10 weeks of no alcohol when all else has failed...

Options
Hi,

I was hoping to get opinions/thoughts/advice on peoples experiences of losing weight after giving up alcohol. A bit of background info might help. I’m a 45 year old male, 5’ 10 in who has, in the past, been a regular moderate drinker (although some may say heavy rather than moderate I guess). Quite often I'd be drinking a couple of glasses of wine a night, sometime wine was substituted for a couple of g&t or a couple of beers. I think the first thing to say is that I was drinking more nights than not. Occasionally I’d have a week or two where I’d go drink free, but this was never sustained over a long period of time. My weight was a fairly constant 82-83kg or there abouts. Over the last few years I have been fairly active, had stints at the local gym and been a semi regular runner (5k loop around local park two or three times a week). The thing is I never seemed to significantly shed any fat that had collected around my chest, belly and bum, despite trying to eat healthy.

In August of this year I suffered a nervous breakdown and was really hit for six – completely floored by it. One of the things that I did immediately after was to stop drinking entirely. For the first month I didn’t massively notice anything but since then I have dropped almost 2kg in weight. Looking in the mirror, it appears (and feels) like I’m finally starting to lose some of the stubborn fat that I’ve been trying so hard to for such a long time. I’m gaining the definition in my upper arms that I had years ago and I’m even starting to see the beginning of my abdominal muscles starting to emerge from the excess weight around my middle. I’ve also noticed that I’ve had to take my belt in a couple of notches during the last month or so. All good you would think??? The problem I have is that this noticeable weight loss is also making me quite anxious…very anxious actually. Having never given up regular drinking for such a long time, I don’t know if this kind of weight loss is typical for almost 10 weeks of no booze. My appetite seems better too; no late night cravings for carby snacks (which I suppose may also be contributing to my weight coming down) as well as I’m feeling somewhat more alert in the mornings when I wake up.

I guess I’m hoping that at some point my body will find it’s baseline weight and settle at that, once it’s purged itself of the excess fat it has piled on over the years. Someone told me that when you stop drinking, the liver has chance to start using the food you eat as energy rather than struggling to process the empty calories from alcohol which can result in weight loss. So while I’m happy that I’m actually starting to shed some of the flab, it’d be really helpful to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences after giving up drinking for a notable period of time.

Thanks so much in advance.

Replies

• gemiller87
    gemiller87 Posts: 137 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I personally have not but do have a good friend who was a nightly beer drinker for the better part of his life, starting around 18yo until mid 30's. Upon quitting drinking he quickly lost about 20 lbs and soon thereafter found himself under his ideal weight and had to modify the rest of his lifestyle to fit. He was fairly thin to begin with but found he had the cholesterol of a very unhealthy older person and had to change the extensive carb input (making beer quickly removed from his diet) per his Dr and a professional dietician.

So even though I haven't experienced it myself, I have seen it happen personally with very little other changes other than removal of a constant alcohol flow. I can't say that I looked into the why's at all though.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about the nervous breakdown. I hope you are well on the road to recovery.

I'd say the weight loss is probably mainly due to cutting out the empty calories of alcohol. I lost a lot of weight some years ago simply by not drinking beer every night and switching to gin and lo-cal tonic. Now I have cut down alcohol a lot, to make more room for nutritious food to build muscle. It does make a noticeable difference.

Making better food choices is likely to be contributing, too.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    There are two parts to it: 1) two beers is at least 300 calories, so cutting nightly beer, wine and G&Ts is a significant reduction in your normal daily calories, 2) many people make bad food choices when they've been drinking, especially when out with friends. You eat the peanuts on the bar, go for the high fat entree, add in appetizers or desserts etc. It may also make it hard to go for an early run or gym session after a night of drinking and because of dehydration, your workout may feel harder, so you will do less.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I've largely cut out alcohol too. I have 0% beer when I just want a beer. The Erdinger one is isotrenic and has some trace vitamins, plus 125 calories for a large bottle that would be likely almost twice that if it was alcoholic. It satisfies the same craving since I usually only had one beer anyway. Never been much of a drinker, but starting to realise it really doesn't serve my purposes any longer. It's a depressant so my mood is always really, really low the next day. More of a mood hangover than a physical one. It's a once in a blue moon treat these days and I feel much better for it.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    For me, quitting alcohol not only helped with my WLJ, it was the best thing I have done to improve my health since I quit smoking back in 1986!
  • ThinnerLiz
    ThinnerLiz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's surprising at all. I credit giving up alcohol (not completely, but I went from a "wine every night" drinker, to "one-two glasses on the weekend while out with friends" drinker) and although I was tracking my calories the entire time, the weight only really started to come off when I was consuming less alcohol.
    I read somewhere that the body wants to burn the alcohol first, before using body fat for energy. I don't know if that's true or not, but it certainly seems that way for me and my friends.

As for the anxiety you attribute to losing the weight suddenly, sometimes people who drink a lot/often are dealing with some underlying anxiety to begin with. When they stop drinking, that anxiety looms up and sometimes attaches itself to seemingly random things. So you might want to be on the lookout for anxiety in other places, and if it becomes a problem, find a solution that doesn't involve drinking.

Congratulations on the cutting down, and the weight loss! I'm sure things will even out in time!
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    A couple of drinks instantly turn me into an eating machine, so I get unwanted calories from the alcohol plus the calories from whatever's in the kitchen that I can get my hands on.
  • powercycle
    powercycle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I can relate.
    I quit drinking (almost nightly) in April 2017 and lost 20lbs in the following 8 months. Drinking was often accompanied with snacking too. (Though I have since gained some of it back after a mental health episode.)
    Similar thing happened in 2005 when I switched from full sugar colas to diet colas, lost 25lbs in under a year.
    Liquid calories can sneak up on you!
  • HeyJulya
    HeyJulya Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Other side of the coin, after 1 yr on keto, and losing 25lbs more than I wanted to, and struggling to maintain my weight now, the nightly low carb beers were adding needed liquid calories to my daily diet.

I decided to give it up (impacted my mood/energy/sleep), and now my weight has dropped even lower. I just can't add back complex carbs, because It causes sever headaches and brain fog (due to "dumping"). My family is supportive of my giving up alcohol, but worry I am too scary skinny. At least with alcohol consumption I had an appetite, now I am back to no appetite. Please don't suggest I increase my calories, I have tried, believe me. My situation is unique, I had radical duodenal switch bariatric surgery 17 yrs ago when I was 305lbs, so I only have 1/3 of a stomach and don't absorb all the fat I eat due to shortened small intestine/bypass. [55F; 5'3"; 10/2018 SW 192lbs, GW 150lbs, CW 119lbs].
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    My user name says it all. I HAD to stop drinking regularly to finally lose weight and continue to (mostly) abstain to keep it off. Going on 4 years. Besides the weight loss, My mental health has improved appreciatively. Wishing you the best.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Alcohol consumption has been linked to increased risk of heart disease and certIn types of cancers, along with other health issues. While I love wine and cocktails, I limit myself to special occasions (and my recent vacation in France). Side benefit is that it definitely helps with weight loss and maintenance.