are carbs or calories more important when losing weight?

Options

Replies

• rickycbo1
    rickycbo1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    one isn't more important than the other. Its beneficial to understand how both affect your body. For instance if you keep your caloric deficit high while maintaining ketosis you will lose more weight over the same period of time as if you were in a deficit but not in ketosis.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The real answer is: BOTH!

Calories are what measure weight loss. But carbs play a role in hunger and your ability to hit calorie goals.

Complex carbs typically will also have fiber. Simple carbs will not and will leave you hungrier for the same amount of calories.

So you need to hit cal goals for weight loss. Avoiding simple (usually processed flour or sugar heavy carbs) and sticking with complex carbs (whole grain baked goods, fruit, veg, beans) will make it a lot easier to hit cal goals.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    a vote for calories as being way more important. Track your calories and try to eat a decent percentage of protein. Everything else is fluff.
  • vkrenz
    vkrenz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I must be the odd one out here. My body will only lose weight if I am obsessive about cutting carbs. I have an awful time staying below calorie goal if I don't restrict carbs. I spent the first month of my weight loss journey at 1,000- 1,300 calories and barely moved the scale. Since I've been using MFP and cutting carbs I've lost 15 pounds in one month. And I feel the best with an overabundance of energy when I keep net carbs about 30 . Could it be it just depends on who you are?
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Calories.
  • vkrenz
    vkrenz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    To answer the question above, I started at 300 lb and need to lose appx 120 more. I would be ecstatic to lose 90 by next fall. I do realize that the loss will slow down as time goes on and likely more sustainable. I really do appreciate any feedback and everyone's perspective.