are carbs or calories more important when losing weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• rickycbo1
    rickycbo1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    What saddens me is that there is so much pseudoscience around that people no longer understand the basics of weight loss ...... or vaccinations ...... or climate change .....
    issmgme3ri5j.jpg

all science started as pseudoscience....
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Calories, for sure.
    I find I stay satisfied for longer if my calories are more protein and fat than carb, but that's an individual thing and down to you to decide.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    both, low carb 100 gr or less works good for me, I am not as hungry.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Calories are king.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    vkrenz wrote: »
    To answer the question above, I started at 300 lb and need to lose appx 120 more. I would be ecstatic to lose 90 by next fall. I do realize that the loss will slow down as time goes on and likely more sustainable. I really do appreciate any feedback and everyone's perspective.

@vkrenz you'll get better answers if you start your own thread.

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • StudioMaid
    StudioMaid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic, carbs are very important to me because they can turn into sugar and I have to watch the amount of sugar I eat. I can still eat sugar but only a certain amount before my blood glucose goes up. Calories are important also. I am a bariatric patient and can only eat so many calories a day.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I read an article the other day which I thought made a very insightful point. Many times, different fad diets work for people, even when the instructions behind one fad diet are the exact opposite of some other fad diet. Keto? Many people lose weight. Veganism? (Usually high in carbs, since vegetables tend to be high in carbs.) Many people lose weight. Raw paleo gluten-free whatever? Many people lose weight.

What the article pointed out was that all these different diets have one thing in common: they substitute different foods for the ones that the person was eating previously. And if what the person was eating previously was a bunch of high calorie dense typical American junk food, which is statistically likely for an obese person living in America, that person will probably end up eating fewer calories and losing weight. Almost any fad diet is going to lead to lower calorie consumption for the average person, at least at first, than whatever they were eating that made them fat in the first place. Because what all these diets have in common is what you AREN’T eating: the same food that you ate too much of in the first place and got fat.

This also explains why fad diets don’t work in the long run. Because eventually most people who have been fat will figure out a way to overeat on any diet. It’s possible to chow down on bacon and nuts on Paleo/keto or avocado with ranch dressing as a vegan. Do this, and you will end up fat once again.

Because...

Drum roll...

It doesn’t matter what diet you eat, what matters where weight loss is concerned is calories, and only calories.

Agreed... keto pizza? Paleo brownies? Lol