Ruining the Impossible Burger

Options

Replies

• nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You are better off making a beef burger from scratch. Its healthier by a long shot. IMO, if you want to be a grass grazer, you shouldn't want to eat something that looks and tastes like beef in the first place.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    You are better off making a beef burger from scratch. Its healthier by a long shot. IMO, if you want to be a grass grazer, you shouldn't want to eat something that looks and tastes like beef in the first place.
    You know for many who are vegan/vegetarian it is also (or even primarily) an ethical choice not to eat meat. It’s not about not liking the taste. Why shouldn’t they want something that looks/tastes like meat without compromising their ethical values. Saying something like that just makes you sound incredibly ignorant.

I wouldn't have put the "should" in the statement above, but I do know a lot of vegans who are grossed out or sad at the idea of eating meat and wouldn't want anything to do with the Impossible Burger if they felt it was too close to the real thing.
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I’m a total carnivore, but I have a Beyond or Impossible burger a couple times a month...including tonight! It’s not a diet food, but tastes great IMO and since I’m not allergic to soy the only reason to not eat them would be to save money. They are processed but so is almost everything these days, they are modified but GMO’s are not bad in and of themselves unless you’re talking about Monsanto Round Up.

Enjoy your occasional plant based burger.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I’ve never had any interest in one. Mike Colameco said the other day that it’s only bad for your wallet. He quoted a price, said the first ingredient listed was water, meaning you are paying a lot for water.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yeah like others have mentioned, there is no reason to believe your instructor or anyone else for that matter unless they can prove their standpoint scientifically.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies but maybe the instructor meant what she said because many think if it's plant based it's low cal diet food. When it's not low cal at all

Also she could have a sensitivity. I wouldn't eat it because if I have soy I will get a reaction. I get very itchy in some unfortunate places. But I wouldn't tell people to not eat it. I'd just say I will stay away. I might have a taste to see what all the hype is about but that's about it
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Remember - one persons trash is another persons treasure! Being vegan I love the Impossible products as well as Beyond and Gardein. I eat them sparingly because it's easy to get caught up in "replacement" products. Many of them are highly processed. In terms of soy consumption I would say that you'd have to eat an awful lot of it on a daily basis probably for years to reap any negative effects. Millions of people have been living on soy products for years in Asia. Maybe your instructor meant to say that traditional soy isn't good for the environment because of the way it's processed? Organic soy is non GMO. Eat and enjoy what you want. Everyone is taking their own ride and not everyone's in a Chevy! :smile:
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options

You know for many who are vegan/vegetarian it is also (or even primarily) an ethical choice not to eat meat. It’s not about not liking the taste. Why shouldn’t they want something that looks/tastes like meat without compromising their ethical values. Saying something like that just makes you sound incredibly ignorant.

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    It's also nice to have choices. If you don't eat meat and you're traveling or on the road or in a situation where there aren't any vegan options - this will do the trick!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Remember - one persons trash is another persons treasure! Being vegan I love the Impossible products as well as Beyond and Gardein. I eat them sparingly because it's easy to get caught up in "replacement" products. Many of them are highly processed. In terms of soy consumption I would say that you'd have to eat an awful lot of it on a daily basis probably for years to reap any negative effects. Millions of people have been living on soy products for years in Asia. Maybe your instructor meant to say that traditional soy isn't good for the environment because of the way it's processed? Organic soy is non GMO. Eat and enjoy what you want. Everyone is taking their own ride and not everyone's in a Chevy! :smile:

Someone said this in a thread a long time ago and it stuck with me... "Do not yuck another person's yum." I have not tried an IB yet. I will eventually. I eat meat but when do my meatless days I have not found faux meat products to be satisfying or worth the calories. A couple of them made me kind of nauseous because I kept burping up the flavor. I will keep an open mind about it.

That has nothing to do with anyone else eating them or enjoying them. I have just not had a good experience yet.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    The impossible burger is as healthy as a regular Whopper. The only benefit that has come from this burger is an option to avoid animal meat so it is purely from a humane aspect.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Someone said this in a thread a long time ago and it stuck with me... "Do not yuck another person's yum." I have not tried an IB yet. I will eventually. I eat meat but when do my meatless days I have not found faux meat products to be satisfying or worth the calories. A couple of them made me kind of nauseous because I kept burping up the flavor. I will keep an open mind about it.

That has nothing to do with anyone else eating them or enjoying them. I have just not had a good experience yet.

Exactly!
    Some of the meat replacements products are just bad. There are a few really good brands! It all comes down to personal taste.