Keep gaining all i lost every Pms week - help!

Options
I been going through an ugly pattern and i have noticed now .
I looked at my weight records and it seems like im stuck for the past few months because every month I do amazing and then a week before my period I lose control and pack on all the 1 to 1.5lbs that I lost ...Im on my last 10lbs and weight loss became VERY slow and Im ok with that ... but it gets on my nerves to do so well for 3 weeks out of the month and then in one week just lose it all! I get bloated , hungry and depressed and I realize my period is on the way and still I have no control ...this past month I decided to start 14:10 Intermittent fasting and in 3 weeks I lost 1.5 lbs which is awesome for me , I felt happy and loved it but then pms week came by and AGAIN its all gone like I never done a thing :(
Its becoming very depressing to see this pattern...Im not sure what to do anymore , If you have any ideas plz tell me , its affecting me in such a negative way ...
And no , the weight doesn't go away after period starts :(
How do you cope with pms ?

Replies

• vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    I get crazy cravings just a couple days before my period. Then on the days of my period I feel so bloated dizzy and crampy that I can barely eat.

How do I cope? I just go through the rollercoaster and try to remind myself not to worry, as long as I have more days being consistent with my diet, the two days before my period where I’m eating everything on sight won’t do anything.

• lillola96
    lillola96 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Are you on birth control? Some pills can effect us in strange ways / make PMS worse. Maybe look at changing to a different birth control?
  • Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    lillola96 wrote: »
    Are you on birth control? Some pills can effect us in strange ways / make PMS worse. Maybe look at changing to a different birth control?

No I'm not on any birth control I only take metformin for my pcos been on it for 3 years and it never did any bad The crazy pms has been goong on for about 6 months

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about increasing your calorie deficit in the 3 weeks that you find you do well with calories? still monitor your intake the week you are eating more due to PMS, aim to not eat above maintenance cals during that week - at least that way you would still lose.
    When close to goal it takes ages to get results, it took me 4 months to lose my last 5 lbs, it takes being really accurate with calories in and doing so consistently.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    You can also try shifting your macros to cover the things you're craving during PMS week. I find myself looking for more carbs the week before and more protein the week after. Also, you may find that supplementing your magnesium dials down some of the "chocoholic" tendencies that a few people experience.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Do you log your PMS binges?
  • Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Do you log your PMS binges?

No not at all

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    slbbw wrote: »
    The reality is you might just be eating at maintenance right now and what you are experiencing is water weight shifts that naturally occur with your cycle. You might need to tighten up your eating for the other three week and also expect it to be super slow. Personally I loose no weight for 3 weeks and then 2 lbs in the week following my period. If I am good I can stay at that weight and not gain. But I am at the speed where even 1 lb lost in a month is good. I would start tracking on a monthly basis at the same point in your cycle to see if you are losing over a longer period of time.

I was going to say the same thing. It sounds like maintenance to me along with normal water weight fluctuation. I lose a few pounds of water and look uber lean the day I start. Afterwards, I right back to same for the rest of the month.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you currently eating? What’s your deficit like the other three weeks? I found that the only thing that got rid of my pms hunger was cutting out refined sugar. It was like a magic switch. For the first time ever I didn’t experience ravenous hunger! I’m normally in a 500 calorie deficit but during pms days I stayed in a 200-300 calorie deficit and on the day I started I ate at maintenance. I had no desire to binge. I would definitely add magnesium to your diet because that helped me too.
  • twistedhailstone
    twistedhailstone Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Have you tried meal prep for those days? Only having certain foods around should help mitigate some of the excess weight from water retention even if you go over your daily kcals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Have you tried meal prep for those days? Only having certain foods around should help mitigate some of the excess weight from water retention even if you go over your daily kcals.

Yes, my problem days are the two heavy days of my period and the two subsequent recovery days. I'm anemic and I make sure I have high iron food available to cook (ex: beef stew) and ready to eat (ex: liverwurst) before I get really depleted by the blood loss and lack of sleep.
  • twistedhailstone
    twistedhailstone Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Have you tried supplementing iron alongside eating iron rich foods?
    We have to put up with a lot from our ever changing bodies, I hope you find a solution for what you’re going through.