Cauliflower bbq wings

Day 3 eating veggies. Found this great recipe on line at veganheavan.org called CAULIFLOWER HOT WINGS (VEGAN & GLUTEN-FREE). It came out amazing. Even my meat eating husband was like wow it has the consistency of a chicken wing. They’re so good! I seriously thought I was eating chicken wings except it’s cauliflower. I’m so mind blown right now! If any wants the recipe here it is:

https://veganheaven.org/recipe/cauliflower-hot-wings-with-vegan-aioli/#wprm-recipe-container-7935

Wish me luck on my plant base journey.

Replies

• naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Look yum! I'm not vegan but always looking for interesting ways to prepare vegetables.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    This is one thing the air fryer is good for, makes great cauliflower bites. Lots of options for flavours too.
  • mommabear4315
    mommabear4315 Posts: 3,424 Member
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    This is on my menu for this week! They are actually really good and have gotten quite a few shocked hardcore meat eaters/non-veggie eaters to ask me for my recipe.

I haven't used panko breadcrumbs with them. Will experiment with that one day.

I also make a ranch dip version without the bbq sauce. So good. Good luck!

My son thought they were boneless chicken wings and ate them. Lol. They were so good and crispy. My T-Rex meat eater of a husband said, “damn momma they have the consistency of a boneless chicken wing. Not bad.”
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    This is on my menu for this week! They are actually really good and have gotten quite a few shocked hardcore meat eaters/non-veggie eaters to ask me for my recipe.

I haven't used panko breadcrumbs with them. Will experiment with that one day.

I also make a ranch dip version without the bbq sauce. So good. Good luck!

My son thought they were boneless chicken wings and ate them. Lol. They were so good and crispy. My T-Rex meat eater of a husband said, “damn momma they have the consistency of a boneless chicken wing. Not bad.”

Yes! 😂😂😂 I hear the same thing and also I thought the same the first time I made them.

Great tip about using an air fryer up there. I have to also try that.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I like Buffalo Cauliflower Bites and in fact am making Frank's recipe tonight (not vegan or GF) https://www.franksredhot.com/recipes/buffalo-cauliflower-bites but they are clearly a vegetable.

I don't see how anyone can confuse cauliflower with chicken. Or rice. Or pizza crust. I like cauliflower and eat it all the time, but my palate knows it is a vegetable, no matter how much hot sauce I add to it.

I suppose it might be good for someone who needs to be tricked into eating vegetables...
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    I love buffalo cauliflower bites (i've made the version from hotforfood), but they don't really have the texture I remember chicken having.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    I like cauliflower - havent tried cauliflower wings but I do like bombay curried cauliiflower - which admittedly I have only bought pre made, havent made it myself from scratch.

Interesting that OP's recipe link says " how close they are to the real thing"

Doesnt say what the real thing is, but I presume chicken or turkey wings.

Not sure why it cant just taste like yummy spicy crumbed cauliflower but is only yummy if it suppossedly tastes like something else. :*
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited November 2019
    The first time we had buffalo cauliflower bites was at an event. They were plopped in front of us with other appetizers. We didn't know what they were, but didn't think they were chicken.

They were delicious, I asked the waitress what they were, and found the Frank's recipe the next day, and they have been a staple in the cold months ever since.