Losing motivation

Options
ariangassh
ariangassh Posts: 8 Member
edited November 2019 in Motivation and Support
Hi everyone
Ive been on and off for the last 6 years and 3 months ago i decided to lose the fat and get a 6 pack. Im counting calories, intermittent fasting, doing cardio every day and lifting 4-5 times a week. But ive only lost 9 kgs and my progress has slowed down recently. I know if i stay consistent ill get the results sooner or later, but im not sure for how long i can stay motivated. If you have any suggestions on how to get to 15% body fat and how to stay motivated as the progress slows down ill be happy to hear them.
Thanks
Arian 0und03tenayw.jpg

Replies

• ChelsKelleher
    ChelsKelleher Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When you train do you do the same routine or switch it up? It seems your body needs a shock to the system as its adapted to your workouts
  • ariangassh
    Options
    When you train do you do the same routine or switch it up? It seems your body needs a shock to the system as its adapted to your workouts

Yea youre probably right. Ive been on the same routine for a long while now. Ill look up some other routines.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    How far do you think you are from your ideal weight? 20 lbs in 3 months is pretty fast. Rework your expectations.

A high level of fitness combined with weight loss likely requires spot on eating. Have you considered counting macros? That may be in your future. It’s a lifestyle.

And it sounds like you reached the limits of motivation. Find some determination. You said you made a decision 3 months ago. Are you going to back yourself up now with action? No one can do it for you.
  • FinelyFermented
    FinelyFermented Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You're probably adding some muscle weight if you're lifting 5 days. It's called body recomp. You cannot gauge progress strictly off the scale. Pics and measurements are the way to go
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    You're asking for motivation to reach your goal. Then what? You're going to need a lifetime of motivation to stay there. I think you need to take a long look at what you want your goal to be (a 6-pack? good health markers? fitness events?) and work for that. I'm rarely motivated to work out these days. It's dark and cold after work. But I made it part of my day, so it's what I do after work. No motivation needed. I just go.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,579 Member
    Options
    Motivation is tough as it's not always there, good habits are what gets me through the low times. Making goals aside of weight loss helps a lot too. The closer to goal weight the more I started focusing on fitness goals, like building strength, upping weights, increasing incline on the elliptical, and upping resistance on my exercise bike. To get more excited about food trying new recipes and foods I've never tried before helps keep things interesting.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Re: doing cardio every day. Do you enjoy it? Do you do the same thing every day? Maybe a change there would help, whether it be the actual activity or alternating days of intensity and duration.

Also, along the lines of what @girlwithcurls2 asked, sometimes I like to work problems like these backwards. What if you woke up tomorrow at your "ideal" goal weight and physique. Then what? What type of diet and activity would it take to maintain it? More importantly, would it be worth it?

No need to actually answer the questions here. Just something to think about perhaps.
  • ariangassh
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    How far do you think you are from your ideal weight? 20 lbs in 3 months is pretty fast. Rework your expectations.

A high level of fitness combined with weight loss likely requires spot on eating. Have you considered counting macros? That may be in your future. It’s a lifestyle.

And it sounds like you reached the limits of motivation. Find some determination. You said you made a decision 3 months ago. Are you going to back yourself up now with action? No one can do it for you.

I think ill be happy with 80 kgs (175 lbs). Hounestly i though i would have lost more because of the effort im putting in. Maybe my expectations are too high.
    I am counting my macros, thanks to mfp.

Yes sir, imma get there for sure.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement :smile:
  • ariangassh
    Options
    You're probably adding some muscle weight if you're lifting 5 days. It's called body recomp. You cannot gauge progress strictly off the scale. Pics and measurements are the way to go

Hope youre right :smile:
    Thanks for the tips
  • ariangassh
    edited November 2019
    Options
    You're asking for motivation to reach your goal. Then what? You're going to need a lifetime of motivation to stay there. I think you need to take a long look at what you want your goal to be (a 6-pack? good health markers? fitness events?) and work for that. I'm rarely motivated to work out these days. It's dark and cold after work. But I made it part of my day, so it's what I do after work. No motivation needed. I just go.

Honestly i dont think ill ever stop working out, but i probably cant go on like this for too long. I thought id get ripped by being absolutely on point with my diet and workouts then slow down and try to maintain.
  • ariangassh
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Motivation is tough as it's not always there, good habits are what gets me through the low times. Making goals aside of weight loss helps a lot too. The closer to goal weight the more I started focusing on fitness goals, like building strength, upping weights, increasing incline on the elliptical, and upping resistance on my exercise bike. To get more excited about food trying new recipes and foods I've never tried before helps keep things interesting.

Thanks alot for the tips :smile:
    I can definitely try new recipes, my meals are really repetitive.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Hello Arian,
    This is what I tell my kids when they have a goal that they feel will take too long:

The time will pass anyway. Keep working. Give up. No matter what, the time is going to pass and in 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years, or even 30 years, that time will be gone. Just keep plugging along. The time will pass anyway.

Best wishes on reaching your goals!
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Motivation will always ebb and flow. Always keep a clear view of your goals, track your progress, and remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. You've come such a long way already!
  • ariangassh
    Options
    Motivation will always ebb and flow. Always keep a clear view of your goals, track your progress, and remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. You've come such a long way already!

Thanks mate :smile:
  • ariangassh
    Options
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »
    Hello Arian,
    This is what I tell my kids when they have a goal that they feel will take too long:

The time will pass anyway. Keep working. Give up. No matter what, the time is going to pass and in 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years, or even 30 years, that time will be gone. Just keep plugging along. The time will pass anyway.

Best wishes on reaching your goals!

Thank you :smile: