The 3 Cup Diet for Sedentary Lifestyle

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Mitzigan94 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Oh and I do not want to judge because I don't know your situation but if there is anything you can do to move out of sedentary and into a lightly active lifestyle it would be a worthwhile thing to do.
    Oh and I do not want to judge because I don't know your situation but if there is anything you can do to move out of sedentary and into a lightly active lifestyle it would be a worthwhile thing to do.

I do have an autoimmune disease which causes on and off lower extremities paralyzation, thats why I noted that this '3 cupdiet' fits for sedentary people. :)

This is why I do not judge. I would suggest that you not just accept that sedentary is your fate unless you have no choice. For ideas you can reach out to others in your situation or in a similar situation.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    People will find a way to "break" anything.🙄
  • NovusDies
    Options
    This would never work for me. I eat a lot of tomatoes, so if I eat only 3 tomatoes (each of which would fit into a cup) I would end up with less than 100 calories for the day. It's actually horrible for anyone who likes vegetables.

Actually, I can eat 3 tomatoes in one cup. All I do is slice them. You can do it too 😉

You must have some small tomatoes. Mine are about 180-200 g each, so yeah. I eat about 2 lbs a day if not more, try to put that into 3 cups, plus tons of other bulky but low calorie veggies. Very unfriendly to veggie lovers.

Very. I eat my vegetables out of a 3 quart bowl.
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options

I do have an autoimmune disease which causes on and off lower extremities paralyzation, thats why I noted that this '3 cupdiet' fits for sedentary people. :)

This is why I do not judge. I would suggest that you not just accept that sedentary is your fate unless you have no choice. For ideas you can reach out to others in your situation or in a similar situation.

Funny, you mention. Im not saying I accept it of course even if Im paralyzed I still force my arms to move.
    Especially in my case of different kinds of relapses you are not allowed to go on overboard for physical activitie because you could easily get paralyzed again, if you were in this you would really understand. To let you know I do have my physical therapies where in a therapist can assist my arms in pedaling on a desk cycle pedal exerciser. But thats very light not to the point it would burn tremendous amount of calories. Thats why my neuro doctor advised me that its okay to go on a calorie deficit as I am under 5'4. I am at 4'11-5ft ish.
    And by the way, everytime the autoimmune attacks the spinal cord, my legs and in severe cases my arms are so weak.

Hope this helped you understand!

God bless!
  • Mitzigan94
    Options
    This would never work for me. I eat a lot of tomatoes, so if I eat only 3 tomatoes (each of which would fit into a cup) I would end up with less than 100 calories for the day. It's actually horrible for anyone who likes vegetables.

Actually, I can eat 3 tomatoes in one cup. All I do is slice them. You can do it too 😉

You must have some small tomatoes. Mine are about 180-200 g each, so yeah. I eat about 2 lbs a day if not more, try to put that into 3 cups, plus tons of other bulky but low calorie veggies. Very unfriendly to veggie lovers.

Oh yes, we do have small potatoes here in Southeast Asia. :smile:
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. If it helps you, it helps, which is the bottom line.

The MFP calorie tracking system works well for me, not the shape or size of things. I eat a large salad every day, sometimes with 1 to 1.5 cups of split pea soup. By cups, I mean 8 oz. The soup is 100 calories a cup. My soup and salad would probably max out your 3 cups, let alone account for other meals, plus snacks like an apple. How do you fit an apple in a cup and have any room left over?

As far as being sedentary with an illness, have you checked out swimming or chair yoga? Again, good luck.
  • Mitzigan94
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »

The MFP calorie tracking system works well for me, not the shape or size of things. I eat a large salad every day, sometimes with 1 to 1.5 cups of split pea soup. By cups, I mean 8 oz. The soup is 100 calories a cup. My soup and salad would probably max out your 3 cups, let alone account for other meals, plus snacks like an apple. How do you fit an apple in a cup and have any room left over?

As far as being sedentary with an illness, have you checked out swimming or chair yoga? Again, good luck.

Thanks! Yup. Whenever I can move my body well I do yoga stretches for 6 to 10 mins. Thankfully its not too hard on my nerves and muscles. 😍
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    3 cups of food a day? That doesn't sound like a lot, unless I'm misunderstanding completely. Gee, like that'd be a first. :)
    Ok, I ran back to reread the OP and it said it was equivalent to 9 c. a day. Hmmmm. Interesting.
  • Mitzigan94
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »

My doctor told me as long as it doesn't trigger the paralyzation then it's fine. 😉

Though I have learned since autoimmune is sort of a demyelination attacking the spinal cord's myelin sheath plus I also have scoleosis so Ive been told that there are some yoga stretches and exercises that I cannot really do.

Still I push myself to do some that are allowed. 6 to 10 mins a day is all or nothing. Even if its twice or thrice a wk.
  • Mitzigan94
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    3 cups of food a day? That doesn't sound like a lot, unless I'm misunderstanding completely. Gee, like that'd be a first. :)
    Ok, I ran back to reread the OP and it said it was equivalent to 9 c. a day. Hmmmm. Interesting.

It is! Though this is really not recommended to people who has a very active lifestyle.
    Ive seen alot of musicians and dancers who collapsed because they had an active lifestyle but still they forced their bodies to do the 3 cup diet.
  • MarcyMavin
    MarcyMavin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »

It sounds like you're carefully counting your calories, so what is the purpose of the cups? You could just as easily say "I get 1400 calories per day" and then you'd be able to eat all sorts of foods of different calories per cubic inch. A cup of M&Ms and a cup of lettuce aren't comparable, but since you're looking at the calorie labels anyway ...

That said, whatever works for you :) I have a few unusual diet habits I'm sure wouldn't appeal to others but they work for me, so I do them.

Amen. And okay, yeah, that’s what I should have said. But I was having too much fun. ;)
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Sorry - is it 3 cups a day or 3 cups a meal (9 cups)?
  • Mitzigan94
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    This is potentially dangerous advice. Without any guidance about calorie intake and/or nutrition, there's no reason why someone following this "plan" to lose weight wouldn't just fill up their cups with low calorie vegetables, risking both undereating and poor nutrition.

Don't worry! I'm on a sedentary lifestyle and my height is 4'11-5ft ish. I can definitely fit my 1200 to 1400 calories in those 3 cups per meal and I make sure I have my fiber, my white rice(carbs/grains), and my protein.

My breakfast goes between 300-400 calories, if I feel the urge to snack I just squeeze in 1 cup of snacks of boiled eggs, lunch goes between 400-500 cals,
    Dinner goes between 300-400 cals.

Thats why I mentioned the 3 cup diet is for 'sedentary lifestyle. '

Another thing. I have an autoimmune disease which causes me on and off lower extremities paralyzation.

It sounds like you're carefully counting your calories, so what is the purpose of the cups? You could just as easily say "I get 1400 calories per day" and then you'd be able to eat all sorts of foods of different calories per cubic inch. A cup of M&Ms and a cup of lettuce aren't comparable, but since you're looking at the calorie labels anyway ...

That said, whatever works for you :) I have a few unusual diet habits I'm sure wouldn't appeal to others but they work for me, so I do them.
    MarcyMavin wrote: »

Amen. And okay, yeah, that’s what I should have said. But I was having too much fun. ;)

Thanks guys. 3 cup helps me with portion control and not overeat. Because if I will just eat directly on a plate I easily go over the calories.

Just thought of sharing this post of 3 cup diet.

Peace and love!
    God bless!
  • NovusDies
    Options

Funny, you mention. Im not saying I accept it of course even if Im paralyzed I still force my arms to move.
    Especially in my case of different kinds of relapses you are not allowed to go on overboard for physical activitie because you could easily get paralyzed again, if you were in this you would really understand. To let you know I do have my physical therapies where in a therapist can assist my arms in pedaling on a desk cycle pedal exerciser. But thats very light not to the point it would burn tremendous amount of calories. Thats why my neuro doctor advised me that its okay to go on a calorie deficit as I am under 5'4. I am at 4'11-5ft ish.
    And by the way, everytime the autoimmune attacks the spinal cord, my legs and in severe cases my arms are so weak.

Hope this helped you understand!

God bless!

Again, I am not judging at all because I can't really understand. I was just making a high level comment. I had a lot less limitations and I accepted sedentary a little too often and a little too easily.

• NovusDies
    Options
    This is potentially dangerous advice. Without any guidance about calorie intake and/or nutrition, there's no reason why someone following this "plan" to lose weight wouldn't just fill up their cups with low calorie vegetables, risking both undereating and poor nutrition.

Don't worry! I'm on a sedentary lifestyle and my height is 4'11-5ft ish. I can definitely fit my 1200 to 1400 calories in those 3 cups per meal and I make sure I have my fiber, my white rice(carbs/grains), and my protein.

My breakfast goes between 300-400 calories, if I feel the urge to snack I just squeeze in 1 cup of snacks of boiled eggs, lunch goes between 400-500 cals,

Another thing. I have an autoimmune disease which causes me on and off lower extremities paralyzation.

Thanks guys. 3 cup helps me with portion control and not overeat. Because if I will just eat directly on a plate I easily go over the calories.

Peace and love!
    God bless!

I think the important part is that for now you are excited about it and hopefully you are making progress. Methodology is not that important as long as it results in sustainable and healthy weight loss. When/if you stop progressing then it is time to consider adjusting this method or considering a new one.
  • Mitzigan94
    Options

Peace and love!
    God bless!

I think the important part is that for now you are excited about it and hopefully you are making progress. Methodology is not that important as long as it results in sustainable and healthy weight loss. When/if you stop progressing then it is time to consider adjusting this method or considering a new one.
    . I had the same advice from my family and doctor too. What they're making sure is that I don't undereat.