• Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Mitzigan94 wrote: »
    lgfrie wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    This is potentially dangerous advice. Without any guidance about calorie intake and/or nutrition, there's no reason why someone following this "plan" to lose weight wouldn't just fill up their cups with low calorie vegetables, risking both undereating and poor nutrition.

Don't worry! I'm on a sedentary lifestyle and my height is 4'11-5ft ish. I can definitely fit my 1200 to 1400 calories in those 3 cups per meal and I make sure I have my fiber, my white rice(carbs/grains), and my protein.

My breakfast goes between 300-400 calories, if I feel the urge to snack I just squeeze in 1 cup of snacks of boiled eggs, lunch goes between 400-500 cals,
    Dinner goes between 300-400 cals.

Thats why I mentioned the 3 cup diet is for 'sedentary lifestyle. '

Another thing. I have an autoimmune disease which causes me on and off lower extremities paralyzation.

It sounds like you're carefully counting your calories, so what is the purpose of the cups? You could just as easily say "I get 1400 calories per day" and then you'd be able to eat all sorts of foods of different calories per cubic inch. A cup of M&Ms and a cup of lettuce aren't comparable, but since you're looking at the calorie labels anyway ...

That said, whatever works for you :) I have a few unusual diet habits I'm sure wouldn't appeal to others but they work for me, so I do them.
    MarcyMavin wrote: »

It sounds like you're carefully counting your calories, so what is the purpose of the cups? You could just as easily say "I get 1400 calories per day" and then you'd be able to eat all sorts of foods of different calories per cubic inch. A cup of M&Ms and a cup of lettuce aren't comparable, but since you're looking at the calorie labels anyway ...

That said, whatever works for you :) I have a few unusual diet habits I'm sure wouldn't appeal to others but they work for me, so I do them.

Amen. And okay, yeah, that’s what I should have said. But I was having too much fun. ;)

Thanks guys. 3 cup helps me with portion control and not overeat. Because if I will just eat directly on a plate I easily go over the calories.

Just thought of sharing this post of 3 cup diet.

Peace and love!
    God bless!

I think the important part is that for now you are excited about it and hopefully you are making progress. Methodology is not that important as long as it results in sustainable and healthy weight loss. When/if you stop progressing then it is time to consider adjusting this method or considering a new one.

Thanks!
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I only have 16 oz cups. Should I cut them in halves? But then if I cut 5 cups in half I'd have 10 8oz cups, which could be overly tempting. Better cut 2 inches off (hopefully 2 inches = 2 ounces) but I still have 1 extra cup! Too tempting.

Damnit! Half my cups don't have bottoms. Time to start over. Better cut them lengthwise, but now they're more like boats than cups. I hope that's okay.

So 10 boats. Can I fill them to the brim? What if they tip over? 10 second rule? Sounds good.

But what about hot food? Better use Styrofoam. But they only sell styrofoam cups in 12ozs. No!!! Plus I hear those cause cancer when microwaved. I guess I can't do this "diet"because it causes cancer. 😞

Okay, bought a scale. Weighed my food. Success!
  • KimberlyCapone
    KimberlyCapone Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I only have 16 oz cups. Should I cut them in halves? But then if I cut 5 cups in half I'd have 10 8oz cups, which could be overly tempting. Better cut 2 inches off (hopefully 2 inches = 2 ounces) but I still have 1 extra cup! Too tempting.

Damnit! Half my cups don't have bottoms. Time to start over. Better cut them lengthwise, but now they're more like boats than cups. I hope that's okay.

So 10 boats. Can I fill them to the brim? What if they tip over? 10 second rule? Sounds good.

But what about hot food? Better use Styrofoam. But they only sell styrofoam cups in 12ozs. No!!! Plus I hear those cause cancer when microwaved. I guess I can't do this "diet"because it causes cancer. 😞

Okay, bought a scale. Weighed my food. Success!

You've thought of everything! :D:D:D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    This type of portion control is not new but other methods I have seen like dividing a plate into regions has more instructions so that the meals are nutritionally balanced.

Even though I have gotten quite good at eyeballing portions when I need to do it I am always looking for a good alternative portion control system that would be easy to use on vacation. This cup system is not it.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope you find success with your cups.

Yes, for people unable to weigh I'd recommend something like Harvard's Healthy Eating Plate

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/

HEPJan2015-1024x808.jpg
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    This type of portion control is not new but other methods I have seen like dividing a plate into regions has more instructions so that the meals are nutritionally balanced.

Even though I have gotten quite good at eyeballing portions when I need to do it I am always looking for a good alternative portion control system that would be easy to use on vacation. This cup system is not it.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope you find success with your cups.

Yes, for people unable to weigh I'd recommend something like Harvard's Healthy Eating Plate

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/

It lost me at french fries not counting.
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your wonderful comments! At least one another can share which diet or food portion control works for one another! We all have different bodies, different health conditions and different lifestyles! I wish you all success for your fitness goals!

Hugs and Love!

God bless! :-)
    This is potentially dangerous advice. Without any guidance about calorie intake and/or nutrition, there's no reason why someone following this "plan" to lose weight wouldn't just fill up their cups with low calorie vegetables, risking both undereating and poor nutrition.

Don't worry! I'm on a sedentary lifestyle and my height is 4'11-5ft ish. I can definitely fit my 1200 to 1400 calories in those 3 cups per meal and I make sure I have my fiber, my white rice(carbs/grains), and my protein.

My breakfast goes between 300-400 calories, if I feel the urge to snack I just squeeze in 1 cup of snacks of boiled eggs, lunch goes between 400-500 cals,
    Dinner goes between 300-400 cals.

Thats why I mentioned the 3 cup diet is for 'sedentary lifestyle. '

Another thing. I have an autoimmune disease which causes me on and off lower extremities paralyzation.

Amen. And okay, yeah, that’s what I should have said. But I was having too much fun. ;)

Thanks guys. 3 cup helps me with portion control and not overeat. Because if I will just eat directly on a plate I easily go over the calories.

Just thought of sharing this post of 3 cup diet.

Peace and love!
    God bless!

I think the important part is that for now you are excited about it and hopefully you are making progress. Methodology is not that important as long as it results in sustainable and healthy weight loss. When/if you stop progressing then it is time to consider adjusting this method or considering a new one.
    . I had the same advice from my family and doctor too. What they're making sure is that I don't undereat.

That is wise. That is the problem with this system and the reason why you are getting so many jokes. Ultimately it is not about the cups but your choices which could be to eat far too many calories or eat too few. That is the same thing for other systems too though. If you want something to work and you are prepared to consistently make the right choices at least most of the time it has a good chance of working. If you don't there will likely be areas to exploit.

Thanks guys for your wonderful comments! At least one another can share which diet or food portion control works for one another! We all have different bodies, different health conditions and different lifestyles! I wish you all success for your fitness goals!

Hugs and Love!

God bless! :-)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    What if choose three 6 oz cups of peanut butter? Is that okay?
    Or...2 cups of smoked almonds, and 1 cup of vodka?

That sounds like an awesome day!

"Day"? As the diet is described in the OP, 2 cups of smoked almonds and 1 cup of vodka would just be breakfast!

I think all your food for the day is supposed to fit in the cups. Unless you want a snack, in which case you get another cup, but I really wasn’t clear on that part.

Anyway, I want all my cups to be full of brownies.

I thought this was a pretty clear indication that each meal is 3 cups, at least as the OP describes it (obviously, OP could be mistaken, and I'm not personally familiar with this diet):
    3 Meals are equivalent to 9 6 oz Cups in one day,