Judgmental Things

KosmosKitten
KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
Okay, so I know MFP is a safe and supportive space for a lot of people (and I'd like to keep it that way), but I find I learn so much about people in general when we have the more pessimistic and/or down-to-earth conversations. So...

I would like to know what sorts of things MFPers automatically judge someone on (to themselves, I assume) upon first sight or conversation. Is there something silly you judge others on or something that just automatically screams at you despite your very best effort to keep in check and hold your tongue lest you be thought of as a rude *kitten*?

Let's keep it civil, please. No personal attacks or excessively mean *kitten*.

My example:

I can't help but be slightly (or really) judge-y about a person who makes no effort to be grammatically correct or spell words (mostly) correct when typing. I understand text language and shortening sentences and words, but there comes a point where I think it is absolutely ridiculous and that the person is just lazy.

Your turn.

Replies

• KosmosKitten
    kam26001 wrote: »
    I completely agree with what your saying. Their does seem to be a lack of command on grammers in this forum.
    But you know what... that's there problem, not mine.
    I can only rely on and be grateful for the top notch private school education I received during my privileged upbringing.
    I'll pay you back someday, Mom & Dad.

*gulp*

Ha ha, very funny. I've seen your writing and I know you're capable of better. :tongue:
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Okay, so I know MFP is a safe and supportive space for a lot of people (and I'd like to keep it that way), but I find I learn so much about people in general when we have the more pessimistic and/or down-to-earth conversations. So...

I would like to know what sorts of things MFPers automatically judge someone on (to themselves, I assume) upon first sight or conversation. Is there something silly you judge others on or something that just automatically screams at you despite your very best effort to keep in check and hold your tongue lest you be thought of as a rude *kitten*?

Let's keep it civil, please. No personal attacks or excessively mean *kitten*.

My example:

I can't help but be slightly (or really) judge-y about a person who makes no effort to be grammatically correct or spell words (mostly) correct when typing. I understand text language and shortening sentences and words, but there comes a point where I think it is absolutely ridiculous and that the person is just lazy.

Your turn.

post reported.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Spelling. I silently cringe every time I see "I need to loose 20 pounds" or "I weight myself daily".

I can forgive posters whose first language isn't English but those are pretty easy to spot, and they're not usually the ones making those errors.

Text-speak bugs me but that may be an age thing. I just can't help thinking that two extra taps would get you the full word "you", are you really that lazy?
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member
    kam26001 wrote: »
    I completely agree with what your saying. Their does seem to be a lack of command on grammers in this forum.
    But you know what... that's there problem, not mine.
    I can only rely on and be grateful for the top notch private school education I received during my privileged upbringing.
    I'll pay you back someday, Mom & Dad.

*gulp*

My love/hate relationship with you continues
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member
    Mostly I judge people based on their cereal preferences and favorite Friends episode
  • KosmosKitten
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I try not to be judgemental. I keep reminding myself that people are probably doing the best they can with the tools they have available.

I try not to be judgmental, either.. but I can at least admit that I am judgmental as I am human cat. It's nice that I can recognize and catch myself before I say or do something stupid and work on being a better person.
  • KosmosKitten
    Mostly I judge people based on their cereal preferences and favorite Friends episode

What if they don't like Friends at all? More judgment... or less?
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member

It’s a definite positive
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Reckoner68 wrote: »

It’s a definite positive

But the turkey head!
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    I judge people on what I consider to be poor personal hygiene and basic grooming.
    I judge them as dirty and possibly not taking proper care of themselves.

I judge people who look like they've had (to me) too much plastic surgery or cosmetic procedures.
    I judge them as insecure and/or vain.

I judge people who lie a lot.
    I judge people who trash talk other people.
    I judge them as being untrustworthy.
    I try not to be judgemental. I keep reminding myself that people are probably doing the best they can with the tools they have available.

Good point! I realize after I initially 'judge' these people in my first example it could be a reflection possibly of mental illness or poverty...or they just don't care, or it's not a priority - but it's still the first thing I think of before I consider alternatives.

I try not to be judgmental, either.. but I can at least admit that I am judgmental as I am human cat. It's nice that I can recognize and catch myself before I say or do something stupid and work on being a better person.

Yes, I try to not say anything...but sometimes opinions come out and I wish I could stuff them back in!

Recent example:
    Me: "is that disgusting kennel garbage?"
    Co-worker: "no, it's 'So-and-So's' dog crate" (So-and-So was right there hearing my 'judgment')
    Whoopsie!

I'm not "condemning people" type judgmental - but these ideas do pop into my head. First, second, third impressions build into a 'judgement'.

Random tangent...

What is the difference between forming ideas, having opinions, getting "impressions" of people, and being judgmental?

Like 'judgmental' has a negative connotation, but me 'judging' someone as a liar or trash talker is potentially a 'judgment' that helps my own self-preservation- so is it still negative?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member

I dont eat cereal & have never seen an episode of Friends.

......what now ??
  • Reckoner68
    mtndewme wrote: »
    I judge people who don't like cats.

100%
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I judge people on what I consider to be poor personal hygiene and basic grooming.
    I judge them as dirty and possibly not taking proper care of themselves.

I judge people who look like they've had (to me) too much plastic surgery or cosmetic procedures.
    I judge them as insecure and/or vain.

I judge people who lie a lot.
    I judge people who trash talk other people.
    I judge them as being untrustworthy.

Good point! I realize after I initially 'judge' these people in my first example it could be a reflection possibly of mental illness or poverty...or they just don't care, or it's not a priority - but it's still the first thing I think of before I consider alternatives.

Yes, I try to not say anything...but sometimes opinions come out and I wish I could stuff them back in!

Recent example:
    Me: "is that disgusting kennel garbage?"
    Co-worker: "no, it's 'So-and-So's' dog crate" (So-and-So was right there hearing my 'judgment')
    Whoopsie!

I'm not "condemning people" type judgmental - but these ideas do pop into my head. First, second, third impressions build into a 'judgement'.

Random tangent...

What is the difference between forming ideas, having opinions, getting "impressions" of people, and being judgmental?

Like 'judgmental' has a negative connotation, but me 'judging' someone as a liar or trash talker is potentially a 'judgment' that helps my own self-preservation- so is it still negative?

Exercising judgement in a situation, and forming an opinion and idea about a given situation or person is important and a good skill to have. Being "judgemental" means being excessively critical, being too quick to criticize people or form opinions.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    When someone is rude to others for no reason or just generally obnoxious, I suddenly notice their bad skin, dirty/tangled hair, gunky teeth, or whatever else they may not be taking the best care of, all stuff that I didn’t really notice or care about BEFORE they started acting like a jerk.
    Not all attention is good attention...
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member

It’s a definite positive

But the turkey head!

aak4fmjuf97i.gif
  • Reckoner68

It’s a definite positive

But the turkey head!

Mr Bean was all the turkey head I ever needed