My walkers and runners how do you track your calories burned?

2»

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    .63 x weight per mile run.

.3 x weight per mile walked
    sijomial wrote: »
    I track the distance walked in miles using Strava then multiply my weight in pounds X miles walked X 0.3 (efficiency ratio) which gives net calories. I use that number to overwrite the MyFitnessPal suggested number for my particlar speed of walking.

I don't run now but when I did I used 0.63 as the efficiency ratio.
    (Running is roughly half as efficient a movement hence the difference in calories burned per mile.)

Ditto with the above. Based on my long term weight trend vs food intake, this has worked well for me over a wide range of miles per week running (zero to 60+ MPW). Garmin calculations using a HRM average similar over the long term, but vary quite a bit from run to run due to the effect of weather conditions and recovery on heart rate.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    I use Fitbit and sync it with MFP. It makes life very easy! I assume it overestimates so I try not to eat back more than 50% of my exercise calories.
  • weight3049
    weight3049 Posts: 72 Member
    .63 x weight per mile run.

.3 x weight per mile walked
    sijomial wrote: »
    I track the distance walked in miles using Strava then multiply my weight in pounds X miles walked X 0.3 (efficiency ratio) which gives net calories. I use that number to overwrite the MyFitnessPal suggested number for my particlar speed of walking.

I don't run now but when I did I used 0.63 as the efficiency ratio.
    (Running is roughly half as efficient a movement hence the difference in calories burned per mile.)

Ditto with the above. Based on my long term weight trend vs food intake, this has worked well for me over a wide range of miles per week running (zero to 60+ MPW). Garmin calculations using a HRM average similar over the long term, but vary quite a bit from run to run due to the effect of weather conditions and recovery on heart rate.

I'm way overshooting my burned calories using that formula :o
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    weight3049 wrote: »
    I am using MapMyWalk and subtracting 50 calories. Wondering how everyone else inputs burned calories for walking/running.

I have always estimated 1 mile at 100 calories - no matter whether I walk or run. Obviously that varies a bit from person to person, but it's what I use, and it's always seemed to work for me.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Walking is .3 x weight in lbs per hour. Running is 0.63 x weight in lbs per hour
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Walking is .3 x weight in lbs per hour. Running is 0.63 x weight in lbs per hour

This is a pretty good estimation but doesn't take into account things like hills and speed (speed has very little impact, hills versus flat makes a bigger difference).

I used to use MapMyRun and it seemed to overestimate by a decent amount based on my long-term weight results.

I now use my Garmin watch and it seems pretty accurate for me. For example, my Garmin said this morning's run burned 769 calories and the above formula would have said 731. The formula estimate would have been good enough if I didn't have the watch.
  • dagee2
    dagee2 Posts: 129 Member
    I use Strava for my running and cycling. Maybe one day I’ll add to that.