Running & recovery from a vasectomy

Ok men (or spouses), how long did it take before you felt you were fine enough to start running again? Im day 3 from my procedure and theres little pain, if any. Im not about to go running today or anything, but just wanted to see what the usual timeframe was. No stitches or anything so it wasnt invasive at all and no pain killers needed.

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Did your dr give any advice?
    I'd assume waiting a week would be good but having never had this procedure....
    I recently had some surgery and my drs told me to be reasonable and take it easy. I'm surprised yours didn't tell you what to do
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I'd say let your body heal first - it will tell you when you are good and ready to start exercising again.
  • melodyvegan
    melodyvegan Posts: 59 Member
    My partner said it took 10-12 days to be able to play soccer again. He also said, "you'll know when you're able to be active again...your body will tell you." If you experience pain longer than that, you should see your doctor!
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Mine was over 30 years ago that I really can’t remember how long I “took it easy”. I didn’t have much discomfort to begin with but I think after 3-4 days I was pretty much back to normal. No pain meds or anything. I’m sure your doctor has already advised to wait for the (literal) “all clear” before unprotected “relations” ;)
  • MarcyMavin
    MarcyMavin Posts: 142 Member
    My husbands was a good week and recovered well. His brother didnt rest and had a longer painful recovery. If you rest it will go better for you. Let that snip heal, you want it to work, no surprises!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Mine was 20ish years ago and I seem to recall that my surgeon told me to take it easy for a couple of weeks.
  • xrunlukerunx
    xrunlukerunx Posts: 37 Member
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    I recently had some surgery and my drs told me to be reasonable and take it easy. I'm surprised yours didn't tell you what to do
    They just said to wait a week, so I'll wait a week and see how everything is. Was just curious to see what everyone else had experienced, because at this stage there's no pain or discomfort now which is surprising.

• AliNouveau
    They just said to wait a week, so I'll wait a week and see how everything is. Was just curious to see what everyone else had experienced, because at this stage there's no pain or discomfort now which is surprising.

I had my shoulder repaired 3 weeks ago and have been lectured no less than 5000 times to obey the drs orders. So Even though you feel good doesn't mean you're all healed inside so listen to the doc! Now I can lecture someone 🤣😂
  • xrunlukerunx
    I had my shoulder repaired 3 weeks ago and have been lectured no less than 5000 times to obey the drs orders. So Even though you feel good doesn't mean you're all healed inside so listen to the doc! Now I can lecture someone 🤣😂
    :D Im really impatient, so im doing my best to do the right thing

• AliNouveau
    :D Im really impatient, so im doing my best to do the right thing

I get that. It be good or else the lecture comes
    My physio lady who has now met me twice keeps saying this is good for you to not be able to do stuff. So I went home and raked the leaves one handed haha

Ok so maybe I'm not the one to be giving advice
  • xrunlukerunx
    Here I am 8 days later and have done 2 runs (1 slow one yesterday, 1 today relatively normal pace). Wearing compression shorts and all is good, feeling back to normal. Happy.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    My husband felt fine the day following. Then he went for a “walking tour” of a new building his company had purchased two days out from surgery. Bad, bad idea. Just the 3-4 flights of stairs were bad. More bed, more ice, etc. A week out he was back to his normal routine which did not include hard workouts at the time but did include some physical labour at work, chores on our hobby farm, and construction evenings and weekends as he was the lead contractor when we built our house.

Start slow and see how you feel.
  • AliNouveau
    Here I am 8 days later and have done 2 runs (1 slow one yesterday, 1 today relatively normal pace). Wearing compression shorts and all is good, feeling back to normal. Happy.

Well done. Just listen to your body
  • gemiller87
    gemiller87 Posts: 137 Member
    I actually had my worst days of recovery around days 4-6 when my body didn't like the stitches starting to dissolve. Around day 9-11 in general I was completely back to normal.