Tips to stay motivated

Hello beautiful people

What tips do you have to stay motivated to get your bum to the gym especially on these dreary dark and cold mornings? :)

Replies

• 84creative
    84creative Posts: 128 Member
    I’m only 19 weeks into training now but I’ve got a specific goal in mind (body measurements) that’s keeping me on track. I’m also logging my workouts so I can see that I’m progressing each week.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    I find taking an oral vitamin D spray helps me to beat winter blues. Before this I would get serious SAD (seasonal affective disorder). Also, just set yourself mini goals but I don’t go to the gym so it wouldn’t apply to me.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I have a home gym so that definitely helps.

Also knowing getting to the gym is essential for my goals. If I'm not at the gym regularly I will have to stop my weight loss (or gain if that's what I'm doing) and know I will not be making improvements so that is motivation enough for me.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Find real life social groups around your workout activity. So, don't just go to the gym, do some class there for example.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Be consistent. It's when you aren't that you get lazy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    I workout in the evening so it helps that I'm already out and about from work. I also have a dry ease calendar on my fridge where I write down what my workout is for each day of the week. Sometimes I do this for the whole month. It helps a lot to see it in writing each time I go into the kitchen. Also, my workout partner is my husband and we are good at motivating each other.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,157 Member
    I build habits that carry me through when I'm not motivated.

And I go to bed early.

This. Plus, have everything ready to go the night before. I get up, get dressed, grab my bag and walk out the door. No brain power required!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    If it's an actual place inside as opposed to say, the water (I row), then part of the motivation is that it's not actually cold. I love rowing, but I don't love being out in minimal amounts of clothing in the cold.

Outside of that, there are a few things that aren't related to guilt that isn't healthy. I remind myself of why I'm planning on exercising. The various goals that I have, the knowledge that the stronger I get and the larger aerobic base I have the more enjoyable things will be, the better technique I have the better and faster rower I'll be, etc. I also really enjoy multiple people that I row with, so knowing that I'll get to see them can be really helpful. That last bit primarily works for team erg (indoor rowing) workouts becuase there's more time to actually talk to people.

The only way that I've really been able to get myself to do any sort of weight training for even kind of an extended period of time is by taking a class. This would probably work if I had a personal trainer. No amount of long term goals will get me to stay consistent with it, I just don't enjoy it enough and I'm fairly self conscious. That said, I forced myself to sign up for the class because I know that lifting is good for me in general and for my rowing.

In terms of the idea of completely eschewing motivation in favor of discipline and habits, I think habits are useful as is discipline. I also think it's silly to assume that habits can't and won't be broken. Getting a bad illness will stop me from going to class despite the fact that I'm very much in the habit of it. The motivation for good grades will be what gets me back on track once I'm well again. My stubbornness will also see me through a lot of things - rowing is an example of that and weight lifting is getting there as well.

Lastly (I'm sorry this has become a book of a reply), it's helpful for me to realize that I'm allowed to not do something. That I can make the decision to not go to a practice (assuming that I'm not needed for a race line up) and that a. no one will be disappointed in me and b. it won't snowball into a habit of not going.