When did people notice?

Replies

• Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    A friend I hadn't seen since Dec. asked if I was sick. I think I was down about15 lbs :)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I think that the people who knew me for a while started noticing at like 35-ish pounds down, basically when I went from obese to overweight. I started a new job around the same time I started losing weight, and the people who I met at this job didn't notice until I was about 50 down. I think they didn't have a chance to really get "used" to me when I was obese, even though I was at my highest weight when I first started the job.
  • hafsatoheed2019
    hafsatoheed2019 Posts: 70 Member
    I'm 5'1" and I've lost 70lbs. No one really noticed until I lost around 40-45.

I’m the same height and need to lose same amount. Would you plz share some details food and exercise wise. What you think that remained consistent during the journey whict brought you success in losing 70 lb. I restart every day and mess up every day and stuck in a rut.
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    I really don't know. I will guess after about 20 or 30 pounds. People at work (in my Division, anyway), knew what I was doing. There was a rep from one of our vendors who knows me and comes in often, who noticed. A few other people in my building who I do not really see that often noticed and commented. So this has been several months ago. Within the last couple of weeks, 2 other different people that I passed in the hall didn't comment but I could tell they noticed by the way they looked at me. And these 2, btw, are obese. You might even say one is morbidly obese.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    I started getting a lot more comments from people not aware that I'm trying to lose weight around the -75 lb mark. I was a lot bigger than most to start, so that's probably part of why. Right around where I started wearing 2xl shirts and slimmer fitting jeans.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I had 20lbs to lose to get to a healthy weight, so when I lost the first 10lbs people really started to notice - 20lbs loss meant I went down 2 dress sizes and I think when someone has less to lose its more noticeable when they do.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Rhumax67 wrote: »
    A friend I hadn't seen since Dec. asked if I was sick. I think I was down about15 lbs :)

It seems to be the case people automatically think we are sick when we lose weight.... :/
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Rhumax67 wrote: »

It seems to be the case people automatically think we are sick when we lose weight.... :/

I agree they do if they don't know what you are doing. I did have someone last month that I hadn't seen for awhile, ask if I was healthy.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited November 2019
    I lost my first 50 lb so slowly that hardly anyone noticed except for my mom. When I say slowly, I mean it - about six years to lose 50 lb. I was a bit over 300 lb to begin with though so I understood it wasn't as obvious to others.

When I started using MFP, I felt like people noticed the most around 40 lb lost. After that I still got a lot of comments, but that particular point when I was just a little over 200 is when people really seemed to notice the difference. I also had several friends take me aside about my clothes being too baggy around then. I proceeded to lose more in the next year after that, but a little slower and now tend to stay around the same range. I remember when I finally went under 200 lb. for the first time in like 20 years and I was surprised no one seemed to notice then.

A few people always seem to notice (friends, mom, neighbors) while others don't as much (my husband is always super complimentary of my body but he says he cannot tell when I am up/down by 10 lb at all).

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I think that the people who knew me for a while started noticing at like 35-ish pounds down, basically when I went from obese to overweight. I started a new job around the same time I started losing weight, and the people who I met at this job didn't notice until I was about 50 down. I think they didn't have a chance to really get "used" to me when I was obese, even though I was at my highest weight when I first started the job.

I can relate to this a little bit too. I started my current job more than midway through my weight loss so no one knew me at the size where I'd been for years. Now, I'm roughly 40 lb lighter. My boss commented the other day (after seeing a picture from my first year there) that she could NOT believe how much smaller I am than when I started because she didn't remember me being any larger. I've told her before (in conversation) that I have lost way over 100 lb but I honestly don't think she really gets it.
  • kiran6002
    kiran6002 Posts: 52 Member
    I’ve lost 20/30 lbs and it’s only now ppl have started to notice. I wear quite a bulky work uniform so it’s not easy to notice the weight loss I think. The majority of ppl have said they can notice it most from my face and tummy. I’ve got another 10 lbs to go to goal and was started to lose a bit of motivation. But I’m determined to smash my goals and get to goal weight!!
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    I've only lost the first 7 lbs of my journey since starting 8 weeks ago (40lbs to lose). My mom asked how much I lost because I already looked less bloated to her. It was a good thing to hear. I know the journey takes time and results can be slow to show - but sometimes I just want those results a little quicker :D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!