I’m a man that almost broke down crying in Walmart trying to find a shirt :-(

Options

Replies

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a lot to contribute here other than to say I am so sorry you feel this way. I hope you can talk to a professional to help you deal with your depression and I hope your wife is supportive of you and your needs. The important thing IMO is you have the power to change your body. It will take time and effort, but you've got what it takes.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I'm really, really glad you're here!

Please start with as many steps as you can to start in a positive direction, whether that's hanging out on the boards and simply not feeling alone, logging what you're eating (or just one meal one day), or buying a vegetable to eat today.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor/psychologist/psychiatrist --- though I may mean mental health counselor. Talk therapy and medication work well together. The exercise is very good also. There's walking, swimming, or hiking 20 minute a day. First take the depression out of equation, then can you step into the weight loss.

I used to loathe taking medication, but I needed to take something before I started to lose my mind -- kind of like mid-30s. It's been a positive journey.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    You have gotten a lot of good, but different advice. I say choose one. Of all the suggestions made, choose the one you can do right now and do it. Be proud of yourself because you’ve taken another step. Look for another suggestion you can accomplish. Do it. Another step in the right direction. Keep going.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    My depression was being made worse by me. I wasn't getting any exercise, I was eating lots of sugar and very few vegetables unless you want to count tomato sauce or potatoes as vegetables, which...
    they really aren't the only plants out there that are edible... :lol:

Do not try marijuana. It works as a depressant (and it's making you eat more.)

• drac2you
    drac2you Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you are feeling so terribly. You have gotten some wonderful advice here. Trust me, I've been where you are now and worse. It is difficult to overcome, but your family loves you, use them for support. Tell your wife about how you are feeling just as you related above, I'm sure she will be your biggest supporter. Then, please, for your mental health, begin by going to your family doctor to discuss treatment options for your depression and progress from there. No one wants medication and/or therapy, BUT it can truly help you in so many ways; it does not mean it will be forever, rather it is a most useful tool to regain your mental health by changing the negative thought processes/habits we become ingrained in over time. In the meantime, lean on those who care for you, they will understand you cannot be a pillar of strength 24/7 365. Start small as other's have suggested, burn more calories than you consume by using MFP to help you keep track, then progress to trying to increase activity in little increments. Good luck to you and I hope many happier days are in your future.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    i noticed you have been on here since 2013, that is when I started also. I feel for you, weight is so depressing and I hate we have to deal with this problem. I lost weight and gained most of it back 2 years ago and then a lady at my gym lost 160 lbs and she inspired me. I logged my calories, watched my carbs 100gr or less and lost the weight. I also did some emotional work, journaling and had to accept how my family was so toxic and I would have to distance myself because I couldnt change them. Very painful but when I accepted the situation and quit argueing it helped alot. Dont know what your depression is about but this is what happened to me. I had 40 lbs to lose so if that lady lost 160 I thought I should be able to do the same.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    We have all been there. You are not alone. It takes just one day at a time and being consistent. Don't give up. I am sending you a friend request (if that is okay).