If you log

If you log in as a habit it helps with the problem of “eating one cookie I might as well eat The Who row the whole package” mentality. At least it worked for me

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I log in the food diary a few days in advance. If I want to eat something additional, I look to see if I have the calories available. If I dont, I don't eat it.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I am also a logging accountability person. I do not like seeing calories in my log for things I did not plan to eat. I accept mistakes but eating a whole bag of chips at ~1k calories would irritate me.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I log in the food diary a few days in advance. If I want to eat something additional, I look to see if I have the calories available. If I dont, I don't eat it.

Doing pre-logging has been a huge help for me. Right down to I pre-log snacks. So I enjoy them and stay within my overall allotment of calories and carbs. And enjoy every bit of it.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    /agree

There's deep rooted psychological impact in prelogging and establishing limits beforehand.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Agree. I can stay on track for *a while* without logging but eventually I always fall back to eating a whole sleeve of oreos in one sitting lol
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I weigh every morning and if I hit the top of my weight band I start logging until I get back in range. This is a new habit starting in 2017 (when I dropped > 20lbs) and it has been working reasonably well.

(My only self-criticism is that, since creating my acceptable 5 lb band, I seem to stay in the middle of it rather than at the bottom of it. I originally assumed I'd stay near the bottom!)
  • pamhardwick8899
    pamhardwick8899 Posts: 16 Member
    Avoiding the scale is a sure way to pack on pounds without realizing it. I got back on the scal after over a year and while the pounds put on was bad, it gave the r the resolve to never be blind-sided again. Started reduced calorie eating but weighing every day was disappointing. So I went to weighing two times a week and I have been inspired. I have a medical scale which uses weights and I can log 1/4 lb losses and up. Has been motivational enough to help me lose 10 lbs. while that doesn’t seem like a lot, because it has taken me 2 months I don’t feel deprived or wanting to ever change what I’m doing now. Each person has to find what “lifetime/lifestyle” changes works for them.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I don't pre-log BUT 5 days a week I am firmly entrenched in routine. When I purchase snacks like beanitos or veggie straws, I portion out the entire bag in advance in little ziploc snack bags. I will pre-bag my salads for lunch ... for spontaneity, I will choose a different tuna flavor each day or a slice or two of turkey. I have both apples and oranges that are portable. So I guess what it boils down to is that I prepare in advance but then mix and match each day depending on my mood. I am very much driven by my mood when planning meals. If I can only get my son to stop baking so much, I might have better control over sugar consumption!
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    I log and pre-log, I pre-log especially if I am going out to dinner. Anytime I know I am going out I plan ahead and pre-lof the calories. The good news is I almost always have a plan for eating out and know exactly what I am going to order.
  • pamhardwick8899
    pamhardwick8899 Posts: 16 Member
    I have found it challenging to eat out. It is hit and miss whether a restaurant has nutritional information online. The more pricey the restaurant the less chance calorie counts will be available. Honestly, even with nutrition info available the food seems to take up so much of my daily allotment that it’s almost not worth it.