Something New

Options
KosmosKitten
KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
What's something new you've wanted to do/try, but for whatever reason, you just haven't gotten to it yet or you're apprehensive over it?

It might be mundane, but I want to try yoga and see if I can get into it, but the whole culture around it kinda puts me off.

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    What's something new you've wanted to do/try, but for whatever reason, you just haven't gotten to it yet or you're apprehensive over it?

It might be mundane, but I want to try yoga and see if I can get into it, but the whole culture around it kinda puts me off.

This is why it's important to find the studio and instructors that fit your personal style. I really like my studio and all the teachers. They are very dedicated and super helpful as far as correcting form and explaining what we're doing and why but none of them live the stereotypical lifestyle. They are a widely diverse group in age, body shape, size, culture, etc.

I want to try pole dancing and martial arts but have yet to do either. Not really sure what's holding me back.
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Scuba diving
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

This is why it's important to find the studio and instructors that fit your personal style. I really like my studio and all the teachers. They are very dedicated and super helpful as far as correcting form and explaining what we're doing and why but none of them live the stereotypical lifestyle. They are a widely diverse group in age, body shape, size, culture, etc.

I want to try pole dancing and martial arts but have yet to do either. Not really sure what's holding me back.

That's what I would love to find. I'm most interested in the history and the correct form for personal betterment. Loads of people have told me they find it relaxing at the end of a day or a great way to begin a morning.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options

Same, and same with going to a gym. I usually just run for exercise, but am curious about stuff you hear other people enjoying.

Holding me back mostly is that I usually have anxiety in crowded spaces, and it's unpredictable how bad it may get.

And surfing...I can't swim well, I'm scared of what lives and lays in the ocean...but always wanted to try it.
  • Tinydancer106
    Tinydancer106 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »

Same, and same with going to a gym. I usually just run for exercise, but am curious about stuff you hear other people enjoying.

Holding me back mostly is that I usually have anxiety in crowded spaces, and it's unpredictable how bad it may get.

And surfing...I can't swim well, I'm scared of what lives and lays in the ocean...but always wanted to try it.

Omg....i would so love to try and surf.....but my extreme fear and love of sharks would have me searching for fins the whole time ....it sucks so much....do it for both of us beautiful girl!🤗😎🤘💜❤
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Omg....i would so love to try and surf.....but my extreme fear and love of sharks would have me searching for fins the whole time ....it sucks so much....do it for both of us beautiful girl!🤗😎🤘💜❤

A boyfriend taught me in my youth. It's fun, thrilling and just amps you up for the day. I was all about the lurking creatures of the deep too ... Only that dissipates when fear is replaced by the need to be in the water. Granted, he was in the water with me, as he had me tandem surf with him. Alternatively, you could wet your feet paddle boarding+/- ... Shark attacks are rare, it's the Barracudas we look out for. Remove all shiny trinkets, as those damnable creatures will surface to snatch it off you, limbs and all.

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I’m thinking of becoming a Vegan.

Mix that in with some CrossFit workouts and I’ll never be at a loss for conversation.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I’m thinking of becoming a Vegan.

Mix that in with some CrossFit workouts and I’ll never be at a loss for conversation.

Ooooch! Vegan ... Crossfit, you say ... Tell me more!
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    Banjo - mandolin- but barley playing my guitar as it is so - maybe when I have more time on my hands - like when I retire ... maybe
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Swimming for exercise. I know how to keep myself from drowning, but I am a very ugly swimmer. I rarely do it because I feel so ridiculous when everyone else looks so smooth and I look like I am just trying to survive
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Swimming for exercise. I know how to keep myself from drowning, but I am a very ugly swimmer. I rarely do it because I feel so ridiculous when everyone else looks so smooth and I look like I am just trying to survive

I never really learned either. I’m not sure I even know how to float.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    i been wanting to get into wood carving. my hands aren't very steady nowadays but it's still something i'd like to say i did. like to go out and find a piece of wood from somewhere that matters to me and then shape it into something pretty.
  • dagee2
    dagee2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    That’s where I’ve been! I can’t go full vegan/vegetarian but I definitely have incorporated it more into my diet, especially when eating out. When at a new restaurant, I’ll try to find a vegan option to try something new and different.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    dagee2 wrote: »
    That’s where I’ve been! I can’t go full vegan/vegetarian but I definitely have incorporated it more into my diet, especially when eating out. When at a new restaurant, I’ll try to find a vegan option to try something new and different.

I routinely and loudly complain to servers that their Vegan menu is woefully inadequate.

Then I order a double, bacon cheeseburger with a chocolate milkshake..... just to keep 'em honest.

• Motorsheen
    Options
    I'm thinking about trying to go a bit more meat free. I think I'd really struggle to go totally vegetarian or vegan, especially in a short space of time but I think I could manage adding a day a week, then 2. Over all I'm wanting to make my diet healthier so I think a couple days a week meat free and focussing more on fresh / raw whole foods is a good place to start. Just need to do It I suppose!

Over the past week, I've perused some local markets just to see what kind of options are available to initiate a meatless diet.

There seems to be a lot of options out there and I'm thinking that with these available options and the plethora of spices on the market, this might not be as difficult as I once thought.
  • dagee2
    dagee2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Luckily in California the vegan options are plentiful. Haha
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I'm thinking about trying to go a bit more meat free. I think I'd really struggle to go totally vegetarian or vegan, especially in a short space of time but I think I could manage adding a day a week, then 2. Over all I'm wanting to make my diet healthier so I think a couple days a week meat free and focussing more on fresh / raw whole foods is a good place to start. Just need to do It I suppose!

Over the past week, I've perused some local markets just to see what kind of options are available to initiate a meatless diet.

There seems to be a lot of options out there and I'm thinking that with these available options and the plethora of spices on the market, this might not be as difficult as I once thought.

If you don't have a moral dilemma about eating meat I would think twice. Some of that stuff is jam packed full of fillers. The Impossible Whopper is only 30 calories less than the real thing and has a ton of ingredients.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

I recommend real Krav Maga. If you hear burn calories or stretch, etc and krav maga then its not real. Its the best form of self defense I have personally taken.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

A boyfriend taught me in my youth. It's fun, thrilling and just amps you up for the day. I was all about the lurking creatures of the deep too ... Only that dissipates when fear is replaced by the need to be in the water. Granted, he was in the water with me, as he had me tandem surf with him. Alternatively, you could wet your feet paddle boarding+/- ... Shark attacks are rare, it's the Barracudas we look out for. Remove all shiny trinkets, as those damnable creatures will surface to snatch it off you, limbs and all.

shiny trinkets are you talking about barracudas or monkeys? those damned monkeys in Panama go crazy for shiny objects. Wait maybe men are like monkeys as we like shiny dangerous objects.