Is this weird?

Replies

• fishbonz3497
    fishbonz3497 Posts: 13 Member
    Only you know its a non traditional breakfast here in america
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    It’s probably unusual in the USA but if that’s what you like, great!
  • Itmustbu
    Itmustbu Posts: 19 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    It's only weird if you make it weird.

Words to live by

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I am also in the cold pizza for breakfast and breakfast for dinner boat.

Some days my daughter asks for rice for breakfast. Plain white boiled rice.

Just eat it. Who cares anyway if it's "weird" or not?
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Totally weird.
    Friend me.
    😜
  • Vjmikesell
    Vjmikesell Posts: 36 Member
    I always found it interesting how majority of the American population think of desserts/cakes (i.e. donuts, pancakes smothered in syrup, sugary cereal) as “normal” breakfast food. No wonder there is an obesity/diabetic epidemic.

I think your scallops on pasta with peas sounds much more healthy and filling than the typical breakfast pastry. I’m an intermittent faster, but in the rare occasion I do eat breakfast, I’d much rather eat dinner leftovers than traditional breakfast. I’ve also gotten the kids in the habit of eating leftover dinner/veggies for breakfast instead if cereal or waffles.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    The thing that "traditional" breakfast foods tend to have in common across cultures is that they are either relatively quick to make fresh on top of the stove* (eggs, breakfast meats in skillet, cooked cereal, griddle cakes) or can be made ahead and reheated for breakfast (toast or pain perdu from yesterday's bread, pho according to another poster here). Leftovers would fit into the latter category.

And personally, I would want to eat leftover seafood and pasta sooner rather than later. Food safety issues aside, this isn't a stew, soup, or similar dish that might improve after a day in the refrigerator. It's never going to taste better later.

*after rebuilding the fire that had died in the stove over night.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    I eat leftovers for breakfast all the time. I've started making "dinners" specifically for breakfast, like having black beans and salsa on winter squash or turkey sweet potato chili. I always eat the leftover vegetables cold first. Soups are great for breakfast!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    Last night I made scallops on pasta with a light cream sauce and peas. It was delish, and I only ate about half of it. It's 9am here and I'm craving it for breakfast. Is that weird to eat something like this for breakfast? Does anyone else eat non traditional food for breakfast? When I was in Thailand I ate soup every morning and it was the bomb.

What is "traditional food for breakfast"?
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    edited November 2019
    I dont see a reason why you need someones permission or judgement on what to eat.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Last night I made scallops on pasta with a light cream sauce and peas. It was delish, and I only ate about half of it. It's 9am here and I'm craving it for breakfast. Is that weird to eat something like this for breakfast? Does anyone else eat non traditional food for breakfast? When I was in Thailand I ate soup every morning and it was the bomb.

nothing weird at all. I've been eating leftover chili for breakfast. :)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Vjmikesell wrote: »
    I always found it interesting how majority of the American population think of desserts/cakes (i.e. donuts, pancakes smothered in syrup, sugary cereal) as “normal” breakfast food. No wonder there is an obesity/diabetic epidemic.

I think your scallops on pasta with peas sounds much more healthy and filling than the typical breakfast pastry. I’m an intermittent faster, but in the rare occasion I do eat breakfast, I’d much rather eat dinner leftovers than traditional breakfast. I’ve also gotten the kids in the habit of eating leftover dinner/veggies for breakfast instead if cereal or waffles.

Oh wait just a minute now. Pancakes, pastries, donuts........NOT breakfast foods?? ;) I do know it'd be highly dangerous for a person like me to take a job at Dunkin' or Krispy Kreme. I have to stay away from those 'breakfast foods'(to me they're anytime foods :(). Just going to be a fact of life for me now.
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

6ouu4idnqv9g.jpg
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    food is food and the idea that one type of food is more suitable than another depending on the time of day it is eaten is one of most useful ideas that I've thrown away.

I eat whatever I want, whenever I want, and as long as I'm staying within my calorie budget, those choices of what and when have zero impact on my overall weight goals.

good luck and enjoy!
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    jm_1234 wrote: »
    While visiting Japan I ate sushi at the tsukiji fish market at around 7 am. I thought it would be weird but it turned out to be amazing!! Pho for breakfast in Vietnam. I think the concept of breakfast food in America is mostly just corporate advertising.

I so agree! When in Bangkok, the hotel had a huge breakfast buffet and had "areas" such as "Indian", "American", etc. In the American section it was mostly pancakes, waffles and pastries. This is what other cultures think we eat every day.

i just spent 6 days with my colleagues in the DR at an all inclusive resort. 7 of us from USA and 2 from Italy.
    My breakfast choices were: rice, beans, eggs, and chicken from the buffet.
    The other USA folks ate big portions of pastries with a side of bacon or sausage, and a little bit of fruit.
    The Italians ate smaller portions of pastry, big portions of fruit and fruit juices, and a small amount of protein.

American breakfast foods are sponsored by the sugar, corn, and wheat producers. That's my opinion based on a combo of observation and advertising, along with entire aisles in the grocery store devoted to dry boxed cereal.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member

6ouu4idnqv9g.jpg

Oh good lord! Right???
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member
    edited November 2019

I had breakfast for dinner tonight. It's my go-to meal after a long stressful work day.

I love Asian soup for breakfast. Maybe I will pull some out of the freezer and have it tmrw AM for breakfast. (I made up a bunch before the cold killed my Thai basil.)
  • lynn_glenmont

6ouu4idnqv9g.jpg

That is clearly some non-Americans' perception of "American" foods, as in the U.S. it would not be labeled "American food" (or "snackies" for that matter).
  • lynn_glenmont
    jm_1234 wrote: »
    There's a quote from Mark Twain - "If it’s your job to eat a frog, it’s best to do it first thing in the morning. And if it’s your job to eat two frogs, it’s best to eat the biggest one first."

So with that in mind I eat veggie smoothies with some protein powder for breakfast.

Am I allowed to cook the frogs first? And does eating a frog mean just eating the muscle, or is this a "snout-to-tail" definition of eating a frog? Because I've eaten frog meat, and it was no chore. It tasted enough like chicken that I believed it when I was told it was chicken (I was a small child and had not yet learned that adults lie to children when it is convenient).