1200 is NOT a magic number!! I don't know how you do it

Options
I am posting this because I see A LOT of people aiming for the lowest possible caloric requirement and stating they aren't losing weight, or stalling in weight loss, or whatever. There is NO MAGIC NUMBER for everyone! You have to use these tools the site provides and tweak it to your INDIVIDUAL NEEDS!! If you are active and have muscles you need more calories for your body to function properly. If you are sedentary you still need to EAT. There is no quick fix, magic bullet,cleanse,pill or laxative that will help you attain a healthy strong body! It takes hard work, honesty with YOURSELF and movement of said body. If you eat it, log it, that includes butter,sauce,whatever. Personally I would STARVE if I only ate 1200 a day, that is half of my days caloric needs to lose, and yes I figured it out on here, took some tweaking, but this is a learning process and I am glad to tweak. What is the rush for the quick loss? The weight didn't come on evernight, so why the sudden urgency to lose it overnight?
Taken from a friend "you can't drive your car on an empty tank" means your body needs fuel to work, which means feed it when it needs it.
Ok, I just felt the need to say something, which I am sure many have in the past, however I leave you with this
"Opinons are like @$$holes, everyone has got one"

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i alas would stave so i wwouldnt worry about it
    the smaller you get the less you will need ...
    :)
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I fully agree with you. :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • waisheimli1
    Options
    Hi there You sound like you know what your talking about well said!!!!

I've had 3weeks of plateau, I've been going to the gym quite a bit and my body shape has changed jeans I couldn't get on a couple of months ago are on and baggy!I'm so happy about this, then I look at the scales and they haven't budged at all, so I've got the scales in the car as I've become too upset, as I'm up out and about spinning 5 times a week Zumba twice a week etc....arghhh would you have a look at my diary?x
  • blissrelease
    Options

I've had 3weeks of plateau, I've been going to the gym quite a bit and my body shape has changed jeans I couldn't get on a couple of months ago are on and baggy!I'm so happy about this, then I look at the scales and they haven't budged at all, so I've got the scales in the car as I've become too upset, as I'm up out and about spinning 5 times a week Zumba twice a week etc....arghhh would you have a look at my diary?x

Measurements not weight! If you're changing shape for the better, take that over actual weight loss :)
  • broxgaard
    Options
    I think 1200 is a good starting point for sure, of course everybody needs to see if it fits for them, this site/tool is not 100% accurate and universal, but still good though.

Remember that if you do any kind of exercise your daily calorie raise too, so some days I can eat 1800 calories instead of the just 1200.....
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I am posting this because I see A LOT of people aiming for the lowest possible caloric requirement and stating they aren't losing weight, or stalling in weight loss, or whatever. There is NO MAGIC NUMBER for everyone! You have to use these tools the site provides and tweak it to your INDIVIDUAL NEEDS!! If you are active and have muscles you need more calories for your body to function properly. If you are sedentary you still need to EAT. There is no quick fix, magic bullet,cleanse,pill or laxative that will help you attain a healthy strong body! It takes hard work, honesty with YOURSELF and movement of said body. If you eat it, log it, that includes butter,sauce,whatever. Personally I would STARVE if I only ate 1200 a day, that is half of my days caloric needs to lose, and yes I figured it out on here, took some tweaking, but this is a learning process and I am glad to tweak. What is the rush for the quick loss? The weight didn't come on evernight, so why the sudden urgency to lose it overnight?
    Taken from a friend "you can't drive your car on an empty tank" means your body needs fuel to work, which means feed it when it needs it.
    Ok, I just felt the need to say something, which I am sure many have in the past, however I leave you with this
    "Opinons are like @$$holes, everyone has got one"

I completely agree with you. Great post!
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hear, hear and waisheimli1: are you eating your exercise calories?
    Options

Tape measure is way better than those scales. The fact that you're saying that the jeans that you couldn't get on is now baggy loose for you means you are on the right track. Don't worry, soon the scale will follow. Another tip: You may be taking in too much sodium which cause water retention inside your body which is why it seems you don't lose anything. Avoid foods that are high in sodium as much as possible. Also its better to weigh yourself first thing in the morning right after your first pee & use the exact same scale for you to record your progress.
    Options

I'm not a believer of eating those exercise calories thing. Whether you eat your exercise calories or not doesn't have any bearing on your weight loss. The body can't tell a difference between the required & exercise calories. If you eat more than you burn, you will still gain weight whether you eat your exercise calories or no. MFP is not 100% accurate & many that are indicated on the databases are just guess estimates & not the actual one you are taking or burning.
  • sknopps
    sknopps Posts: 166
    Options

I'm not a believer of eating those extra calories thing. Whether you eat your exercise calories or not doesn't have any bearing on your weight loss. The body can't tell a difference between the required & exercise calories. If you eat more than you burn, you will still gain weight whether you eat your exercise calories or no.

but if you're already not eating enough.....
  • waisheimli1
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!x

Measurements not weight! If you're changing shape for the better, take that over actual weight loss :)
  • Lizi19
    Lizi19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think I agree with the overall message of the post, but I am a little tired of everybody attacking a 1200 cal. diet. It's working for me and I am not starving. Sometimes I have to eat some extra peanut butter to meet 1230 and I eat more calories when I workout. If I eat 1230 a day, I will lose a pound a week, which is a healthy goal (from what I read).
  • waisheimli1
    Options
    I have been because everyone I know said you work hard eat eat eat!x

I'm not a believer of eating those exercise calories thing. Whether you eat your exercise calories or not doesn't have any bearing on your weight loss. The body can't tell a difference between the required & exercise calories. If you eat more than you burn, you will still gain weight whether you eat your exercise calories or no. MFP is not 100% accurate & many that are indicated on the databases are just guess estimates & not the actual one you are taking or burning.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options

Tape measure is way better than those scales. The fact that you're saying that the jeans that you couldn't get on is now baggy loose for you means you are on the right track. Don't worry, soon the scale will follow. Another tip: You may be taking in too much sodium which cause water retention inside your body which is why it seems you don't lose anything. Avoid foods that are high in
    sodium as much as possible. Also its better to weigh yourself first thing in the morning right after your first pee & use the exact same scale for you to record your progress.

I looked at quoted person's diary and didn't see any trouble although I am not a dietician or medical proffesional I didn't see you tracking sodium. Looks like you are zig zagging and inches lost is great!
    Options

I'm not a believer of eating those extra calories thing. Whether you eat your exercise calories or not doesn't have any bearing on your weight loss. The body can't tell a difference between the required & exercise calories. If you eat more than you burn, you will still gain weight whether you eat your exercise calories or no.

but if you're already not eating enough.....

Its the same thing. I'm not saying to eat less than 1,200 cals/day. In fact I find that number too low. What I'm saying is that I do not believe that you should eat ALL the exercise calories. Because I've seen many people here who says eat back your exercise calories but actually how could we know we are eating enough. We should set an allowance still & not just rely on what MFP says. We will never know if we are underestimating our calorie intake or overestimating those calories burned. Although its up to you if you want to eat back all your exercise calories for as long as it is working for you.
  • waisheimli1
    Options
    Right well the next few weeks I'm going to eat the cals back I earn from walking my dog which gives me a little mre than 1209 and then anything I earn from my classes spinning etc I'm not going to eat!x

See what happens!
    X
    I have been because everyone I know said you work hard eat eat eat!x

Options

Tape measure is way better than those scales. The fact that you're saying that the jeans that you couldn't get on is now baggy loose for you means you are on the right track. Don't worry, soon the scale will follow. Another tip: You may be taking in too much sodium which cause water retention inside your body which is why it seems you don't lose anything. Avoid foods that are high in
    sodium as much as possible. Also its better to weigh yourself first thing in the morning right after your first pee & use the exact same scale for you to record your progress.

I looked at quoted person's diary and didn't see any trouble although I am not a dietician or medical proffesional I didn't see you tracking sodium. Looks like you are zig zagging and inches lost is great!

Thanks :smile: Sometimes I'm going over the sodium especially if I'm invited to dine out. But I compensated it by drinking more water because it helps flushes away the extra sodium in our body. In my case I do zigzag my calories because I eat more during my weight training days and less when I'm into cardio. Although now that I'm into maintenance stage, I already upped my calories even more but I still keep on losing weight.
  • flygyrl
    flygyrl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! I am totally fine with 1200 calories a day. As long as I drink enough water, I am fine. If I work out that day, Of course I will eat more. I hear alot of people saying they did 2 workouts in a day. Well, if you workout too much and don't get results, it's because you are not eating enough for all of the calories you are burning! My fitness pal is a great tool for learning how to eat for losing and maintaining your weight.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have my diary set for 1200 calories. That's what MFP gives me for a 2lb a week weight loss. Anyone looking through my diary will probably think I'm doing terribly because I'm usually over, sometimes by just a few calories sometimes by quite a lot, but that's because I aim to net anywhere between 1200 and 1600 calories. So far I've lost 4lbs in 2 weeks. When I was aiming for the 1600 a day I lost 4lbs in about 2 months so this seems to be working for me.