There is NO SUCH THING as "a word in edgewise"

Options
SuperScrabbleGirl
SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
Oh man, if I hear one more person say "a word in edgewise" I'm going to freak out.

The saying is "A word in edgeways", as in: the person was talking so much, that if you could literally see the words coming out of there mouth, there would be so many, that you couldn't fit one word in if you turned it on it's edge.

And while I'm at it, it's "I couldn't care less".

Replies

• MaryEffingPoppins
    MaryEffingPoppins Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Vent girl.
  • sknopps
    sknopps Posts: 166
    Options
    hahaha yes.
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    Options
    Vent girl.
    Haha, yeah, I know. Just be glad you don't know me in real life! You'd have to deal with this stuff aaaaaall the time ;)
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Um, thank you?!
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    lol =) One that annoys me is "At the end of the day". So overused.
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Haha, yeah, I know. Just be glad you don't know me in real life! You'd have to deal with this stuff aaaaaall the time ;)
    [/quote]

It's a peeve of mine when people say "In real life". I mean, in person makes sense, but conversing on the internet counts as fake life?
  • babylemonade
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

It's a peeve of mine when people say "In real life". I mean, in person makes sense, but conversing on the internet counts as fake life?
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    The Cambridge Dictionary of American Idioms disagrees. Edgewise is the American form of the idiom and edgeways is the British and Australian form of the idiom.
  • CMH24
    CMH24 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

I believe "In real life" started with MMO video games, seeing as how it is NOT real life. People just grow attached to the saying... sadly I am one. LOL It makes it easier to see who is a gamer though. :P
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    Options

Okay, guess I should have said "In 3D", but I didn't want to make myself sound like the latest CGI film release, your know?
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    and while we are at it, there is no way you "could of, would of or should of"

you could've, would've and should've or could have, would have and should have.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The Cambridge Dictionary of American Idioms disagrees. Edgewise is the American form of the idiom and edgeways is the British and Australian form of the idiom.

Yeah. I'm American. I've never heard of "edgeways."
  • sknopps
    sknopps Posts: 166
    Options
    there, their, they're.

ugh.
  • babylemonade
    Options

I believe "In real life" started with MMO video games, seeing as how it is NOT real life. People just grow attached to the saying... sadly I am one. LOL It makes it easier to see who is a gamer though. :P

lol that makes sense. I love video games but I always play with people I know so I never used that saying lol
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    and also. if you say LOL in real life, then you aren't.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

Yeah. I'm American. I've never heard of "edgeways."

Same here. I thought it was yet another word I pronounced wrong. :laugh:
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options

Thank you!
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    and while we are at it, there is no way you "could of, would of or should of"

you could've, would've and should've or could have, would have and should have.

this bugs me too
    it's like lets do english/spelling/grammar classes over! lol
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    lol, this reminds me of my pet peeve: When people say "supposively"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I'll vent:

No such thing as TONING, TONED when applying to fitness. You can "tone up" muscle to get it conditioned. It's either conditioned or not. "Toning" somehow morphed from "tone up" when pilates and yoga came on the fitness scene.

v. toned, ton·ing, tones
    v.tr.
    1. To give a particular tone or inflection to.
    2. To soften or change the color of (a painting or photographic negative, for example).
    3. To sound monotonously; intone.
    4. To make firmer or stronger. Often used with up: exercises that tone up the body.