Peanuts and "pieces"

I eat peanuts, prepared all their various ways. Raw, boiled, broiled, fried (in shell is pretty darn good), salted, sweet, spiced, plain ... They're the Bubba Gum Shrimp of nuts, I tell ya'. Haven't run into a peanut I didn't like. It runs in the family.

I'm not much of a weigher of foods to determine portions. I guess I've got a fair eye for size.

When I see "x pieces", what does "pieces" mean? Is it the whole nut, including shell and seeds? Is it a seed? Is it a half seed?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited November 2019
    Don’t use pieces, they vary in size too much. Weigh them for best calorie amount. If your not eating shells, depending on how you eat them, save the shells and subtract the weight from the weight before you ate them. In this instance, because they’re calorie dense, I’d strongly advise weighing. I have a good eye too, but it’s really easy to blow alot of calories
  • Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    I did some research on this as I love peanuts as well. Then used a friend's food scale. I came up with 1oz = 28 whole peanuts. Now this number will vary depending on the size of the peanuts themselves.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    When I see "x pieces", what does "pieces" mean? Is it the whole nut, including shell and seeds? Is it a seed? Is it a half seed?

It's the edible part.

I agree with missysippy though. Nuts really need to be weighed...the edible portion of the nuts.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    edited November 2019
    This would be "one piece" I think. I don't know for sure, I'd have to weigh them to be sure about that.

raw-peanut-isolated-on-white-one-peanut-without-husk-isolated-on-white-background-raw-stock-photo_csp59215821.jpg
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    This scenario is exactly why weighing is the most accurate way to track calorie intake.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    This scenario is exactly why weighing is the most accurate way to track calorie intake.

Agree with this big time.

But considering shells can contain more than one peanut, it's going to be the edible part.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    edited November 2019
    I eat peanuts, prepared all their various ways. Raw, boiled, broiled, fried (in shell is pretty darn good), salted, sweet, spiced, plain ... They're the Bubba Gum Shrimp of nuts, I tell ya'. Haven't run into a peanut I didn't like. It runs in the family.

I'm not much of a weigher of foods to determine portions. I guess I've got a fair eye for size.

This is exactly why I was so happy to start using a digital food scale. There is zero ambiguity in grams of the edible portion.

This is from the old USDA database, and while it is for bananas, any food that had both edible and inedible parts would say "Nutrient values and weights are for edible portion."

yyv7p30w9mzd.jpg
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    You could weigh out a serving a couple of times and then count out how many of whatever you think of as pieces is and see if it's relatively consistent. Personally I think it's easier to weigh out 28g of nuts than it is to count out a number of pieces, but we all have to find what works for us.