What BMI are you looking for?

Options
2»

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i don't really care as long as it's in the healthy range!!
    i started at 57 bmi and am now at 34.3 :)
    so i'm getting there!!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what BMI are you looking for? I have no clue what would be best, mine at the moment is 23%

A healthy BMI for me is around 24 because I'm big boned according to the charts I've used. From memory a wrist measurement for females of >6.5 inches. You can google to determine that.

I'm not really aiming for a specific BMI because I believe it is a very flawed measure. Instead I have set a body fat % target that is in line with my age and sex.

big boned is sooo totally a myth!! lol
    how can you honestly measure your wrist size if you have fat around your wrists????????
  • SeanMurphy
    Options
    At 6'6" with a barrel chest and solid, muscular, already fat-free legs, I am at 32.1, well into obese. My target weight of 265 still puts me just over the line of "obese", but at 278, I can already see very fine ab lines.

I have mostly visceral fat which is both good and bad. It is more metabolically active, so easier to get burnt, but it is also far more unhealthy and is responsible for high blood pressure, diabetes, heart ailments, etc. I also have an intensely dense bone structure, as the radiologist generally notes every time i get an x-ray. (This is a genetic gift from my father who had open heart surgery about 11 years ago, and got similar comments from the surgeon about bone density.)

My point is that everyone's body is different, and BMI was designed to measure the health of populations, not individuals. People with advanced musculature, or people who are exceptionally tall, or people with oddly dense skeletons can all be put into an unrealistic category. Worry more about body-fat percentages (easy to measure with skin-fold calipers, if you're that concerned) or just how you look in the mirror. Worry also about your cardiovascular health. Can you run/walk/bike/play sports as well as you'd like without getting winded?
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for the upper end of my BMI range and then I'll switch to body fat % when I get closer to goal.
  • fidgekitty
    Options
    You know, I'm one of those anti-BMI people, when I was at my ideal weight, my BMI was around a 25-26. People said I looked like I was around 120-130 pounds when I was really 155 pounds. The women in my family are just really dense, all of my mom's side are amazon women with man-like strength, I inherited a 5'4 frame from my dad's side but the muscle from my mom's side. So my BMI always said I was overweight when I was just very muscular. Not to mention I was doing a physically demanding job at the time, encouraging my muscle gain. But if I had to pick a BMI, I'd like to be a 23-24% I want to be a little smaller (a size 6-7 instead of a 9-10) than my prepregnancy weight but I also want to be strong.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I prefer to stay away from BMI entirely, as it is very innacurate and doesn't take muscle mass into consideration. Arnold himself had a BMI in the "morbidly obese" stage in the prime of his bodybuilding career. I prefer using body fat percentage, which takes water weight, muscle mass, and fat into thought, giving a much more accurate reading of where you stand.
  • hhan
    hhan Posts: 74
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what BMI are you looking for? I have no clue what would be best, mine at the moment is 23%

A healthy BMI for me is around 24 because I'm big boned according to the charts I've used. From memory a wrist measurement for females of >6.5 inches. You can google to determine that.

I'm not really aiming for a specific BMI because I believe it is a very flawed measure. Instead I have set a body fat % target that is in line with my age and sex.

big boned is sooo totally a myth!! lol
    how can you honestly measure your wrist size if you have fat around your wrists????????

I'd suggest you do some research before slating others. The big range in the healthy BMI category is there to take bone frame into account.

You could start here

http://healthycalculators.com/body-weight.php

or even here

http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php
  • hhan
    hhan Posts: 74
    Options
    Another thing ... I don't have fat around my wrists ... do you?
  • melholden10
    Options
    i hardly ever look at BMI after my brother told me at 7% body fat he was still considered obese on BMI (he plays rugby) my bdy fat is currentyl 30% which is acceptable for women and i can go and run 18 miles so i don't care my BMI is overweight/obese my aim is to get my bodyfat down to 20%