Hypercalcemia (high blood calcium)

Anyone have hypercalcemia without having issues with your parathyroid or cancer? I'm chronically dehydrated because of health issues that increase my fluid requirements but at the same time make it difficult to intake/retain fluids. My calcium has been above the limit for at least a year that I know of. I'm on tube feedings so I do get the daily required amount (1320 mg/day with a bit of cheese on occasion by mouth) but not near the top end of it. We're thinking dehydration as some of my other numbers off and on have been high. Other than trying to get more fluids is there a way to lower this

Replies

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    I have hyperparathyroidisn secondary to kidney disease, and I've had one parathyroid adenoma removed. Make an appointment with an endocrinologist and have your primary care test your PTH levels. If you come back with a diagnosis, I'd be happy to talk about my experience with the surgery and how my other glands took over for the big growth that was removed.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    @Vune my GP is now 95% sure it's hyperparathyroidism now. She wants me to get bloodwork end of January to confirm but I want to know now lol. She ordered a bone density scan as well.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    edited January 2020
    I’m afraid other than keeping well hydrated (which sounds like it is difficult enough for you anyway), there really aren’t any “DIY” answers to this. Other than that the treatments are drugs / surgery depending on the cause.
    Sorry. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

I think I remember you have inflammatory bowel disease. Have you recently stopped (or reduced) steroids? Sometimes this can raise calcium.

I hope it gets sorted out for you soon and that you don’t feel too miserable while that happens.

(UK based medical doctor)

(Edited for typos)
  • Vune
    @Vune my GP is now 95% sure it's hyperparathyroidism now. She wants me to get bloodwork end of January to confirm but I want to know now lol. She ordered a bone density scan as well.

I've seen my endo since this, and I'm waiting on another DEXA scan, too. Any reason she's waiting to do bloodwork? Is she ordering fancier tests than the basic metabolic, PTH levels, and vitamin D? Hopefully, something is just a little out of whack, and supplementing extra D will help. The surgery wasn't bad, but still better to avoid, expecially when you seem to be riddled with comorbidities, like me.
  • loriferlulublue
    loriferlulublue Posts: 12 Member
    My mom had hyperparathyroidism with high blood calcium levels as well. After doing blood work, a 24 hour urine collection, scans of her parathyroid, and a bone density scan, she finally had surgery last month. One of her parathyroid glands was enlarged and needed to be removed. The bone density scan showed that she had developed osteoporosis most likely due to the hyperparathyroidism causing the breakdown of calcium from her bones into her blood. During the surgery while she was still under anesthesia, they tested her blood immediately after removing the gland and her calcium went right back to normal. Also from what I’ve read if osteoporosis is caused by hyperparathyroidism, fixing it will also fix the osteoporosis. She’s on the mend now.

Definitely keep on top of your doctor though to get that fixed, high blood calcium can also affect other things like kidneys, heart, etc. Feel better!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Vune wrote: »

I've seen my endo since this, and I'm waiting on another DEXA scan, too. Any reason she's waiting to do bloodwork? Is she ordering fancier tests than the basic metabolic, PTH levels, and vitamin D? Hopefully, something is just a little out of whack, and supplementing extra D will help. The surgery wasn't bad, but still better to avoid, expecially when you seem to be riddled with comorbidities, like me.

I had the bloodwork and while I continue to have hypercalcemia (and it's rising) my parathyroid is apparently ok. She thinks it's dehydration pushing my numbers up. My numbers on everything else are ok but I don't trust my bloodwork (for good reason) unless I am properly hydrated (usually by IV)
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Thanks for the update. That’s the crazy thing about hypercalcaemia - dehydration can be both cause and effect!
    I hope it’s not making you feel grim and that you get it sorted out soon.
  • Vune
    Hydration is always key. I'm glad it's something easily treatable. My blood is crazy when I'm dehydrated, too, then I have to get extra bloodwork to prove I need treatments for anemia.