Struggling with Sugar

13»

Replies

  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,128 Member
    edited November 2019
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    But most people who lose weight don't actually know or understand the reasons why what they're doing works.

    Well, @carlos421, you might agree that learning to control your weight (particularly after many years of failing to do so) means you have learned something about yourself. So maybe your point is that it might not be helpful to someone else.

    But, on the other hand, maybe it would!

    My point was that losing weight doesn't make someone an expert.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Maybe it doesn't work in this environment but I LOVED reading @Jthanmyfitnesspal's comment. To remind someone who is now struggling of their past strength seems like a very wise approach. I don't understand the value of quibbling that OP isn't an actual expert. Were you thinking this would help someone?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    @jmath0303 Are you still logging? How is your protein consumption? Do you eat meat? If not, are you taking any dietary supplements? Are you doing any cardio? How are your stress levels generally?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    But most people who lose weight don't actually know or understand the reasons why what they're doing works.

    Well, @carlos421, you might agree that learning to control your weight (particularly after many years of failing to do so) means you have learned something about yourself. So maybe your point is that it might not be helpful to someone else.

    But, on the other hand, maybe it would!

    My point was that losing weight doesn't make someone an expert.

    What if I lost weight annnddd stayed in a Holiday Inn Express? Would I be an expert? :D
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,128 Member
    Maybe it doesn't work in this environment but I LOVED reading @Jthanmyfitnesspal's comment. To remind someone who is now struggling of their past strength seems like a very wise approach. I don't understand the value of quibbling that OP isn't an actual expert. Were you thinking this would help someone?

    He said that he assumed they must be an expert because they lost weight. I simply pointed out that just because someone lost weight doesn't make them an expert (I've heard people who've lost weight give horrible advice).
    And yes, I think understanding this can be very helpful for people who would otherwise accept bad advice wholesale just because the person saying it lost weight.

    But this is a weird derail from OP and I dont understand why people are fixating on this response.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,128 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    But most people who lose weight don't actually know or understand the reasons why what they're doing works.

    Well, @carlos421, you might agree that learning to control your weight (particularly after many years of failing to do so) means you have learned something about yourself. So maybe your point is that it might not be helpful to someone else.

    But, on the other hand, maybe it would!

    My point was that losing weight doesn't make someone an expert.

    What if I lost weight annnddd stayed in a Holiday Inn Express? Would I be an expert? :D

    Indeed