Motivation during exercise

Options
Does anyone have any tips for keeping up the intensity when working out/exercising? Do you find your motivation waning if you are working out alone? I sometimes find that and I would like to find some ways to not lose motivation and focus when alone.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Not really... music tends to help me stay focused.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    What type of workout are you doing? Do you have a plan when you work out or do you just wing it? I find that I can't stay focused, especially with strength training, unless I have a structured plan set out for me in advance.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I work out alone every day. I just crank my favorite tunes and go to work. I love the solitude, it helps my mind decompress.

Yes!!
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    EricRSRCP wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips for keeping up the intensity when working out/exercising? Do you find your motivation waning if you are working out alone? I sometimes find that and I would like to find some ways to not lose motivation and focus when alone.

It's all about how badly you want to achieve your goals. Think about the things that you love to do and will spend all the time needed to achieve them. Is exercise on that list? Really on that list? Honestly?

Enjoy yourself...choose the exercise that you enjoy and want to do.
    yikes..I got to get my 30 minute planks done.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Music. I’m very picky about what goes on my workout playlist and I have 2-3 songs I know will get me going for sure so if I’m starting to drag I skip to them.

I also enjoy doing guided runs that have a coach in your ear telling you what to do, giving advice, telling you to keep going. I use DailyBurnRunning. Apptiv is also good and they have workouts for the elliptical and bike as well
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Most of my workouts are alone and motivation is sometimes an issue. It helps if you sign up for an event every once in a while (e.g. a community 5k, bike ride, swim, whatever.) This gives you something to aim for. In addition, I do some group workouts (spin class, run studio). I like the solo workouts, but it's nice to have a focus.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Having distinct, incremental goals for each workout helps me push, because I want to meet every goal. Even if the goal is one more rep this time than last time, or shave off a second on my time. If I start the workout with that goal in mind, I usually find I will push until I get it.

And not all "workouts" need to have that kind of intensity. I walk home from work every day. It's classified as a "workout" with regard to my calorie consumption and tracking, but to me, it's very pleasant alone time for listening to audio books.
  • EricRSRCP
    EricRSRCP Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I work out alone every day. I just crank my favorite tunes and go to work. I love the solitude, it helps my mind decompress.

Music does help but eventually I run out of songs. I start getting mad when I can't find good music. I am not a big music person so maybe that plays into a factor.
  • EricRSRCP
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    What type of workout are you doing? Do you have a plan when you work out or do you just wing it? I find that I can't stay focused, especially with strength training, unless I have a structured plan set out for me in advance.

Usually I do circuits. I have a trainer and when I am training there I have more focus, but I still get frustrated because I get pushed beyond my limits. When I am alone I try and follow my own circuits based on what we have done, but I find myself just lacking motivation by myself.
  • EricRSRCP
    Options
    Most of my workouts are alone and motivation is sometimes an issue. It helps if you sign up for an event every once in a while (e.g. a community 5k, bike ride, swim, whatever.) This gives you something to aim for. In addition, I do some group workouts (spin class, run studio). I like the solo workouts, but it's nice to have a focus.

Yeah I am looking for those. Currently, my gym doesn't have many that I can do.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I start out with my most important or most challenging exercises, then save fun accessories to the end which I always look forward to
  • EricRSRCP
    Options
    Having distinct, incremental goals for each workout helps me push, because I want to meet every goal. Even if the goal is one more rep this time than last time, or shave off a second on my time. If I start the workout with that goal in mind, I usually find I will push until I get it.

And not all "workouts" need to have that kind of intensity. I walk home from work every day. It's classified as a "workout" with regard to my calorie consumption and tracking, but to me, it's very pleasant alone time for listening to audio books.

I rarely try to set those mini goals for myself. Sometimes when I am working out I can push myself for that, but most of the time I honestly am not bothered if I can't do more. It's not a motivating factor for me
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If I'm hiking, it's about making it to my destination with time to enjoy and explore. If I'm on the bike, I try to raise my watt average for the ride.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I do whatever it takes. I use the time to work through issues. Hold debates in my head over sticking points, then debate the other side. I plan out the day in the morning and review the day at night and prep for tomorrow.

Since the Saw movies came out I imagine myself in some obscure situation where I have to bench 300 lbs - and then one more...then one more...hitting those emotional triggers to push myself further. I just make sure my power tools are secure.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    You need to identify your “why” so you know why you’re doing it

I’ve decorated my workout area with progress pics of my weight loss journey, medals & pics from events, etc. These things help inspire me. Even if you have a dedicated space, you can probably find a place to hang a few things.

Im a bit confused because you said your trainer pushed you too hard and you’re not motivated to try very hard on your own. Maybe your frustration with your trainer is pulling you down other times. Have you talked to your trainer about your goals and intensity level?
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Usually Amazon music "All 80's" gets me through a long intense cardio session. But now thats its football season, i been looking forward to my favorite teams games to help me get through it. Just sucks i have to deal with BS regional black outs. So i miss out on some of the games. And i am the type who can't get into/watch a game if i know which team won.
  • EricRSRCP
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

I’ve decorated my workout area with progress pics of my weight loss journey, medals & pics from events, etc. These things help inspire me. Even if you have a dedicated space, you can probably find a place to hang a few things.

Im a bit confused because you said your trainer pushed you too hard and you’re not motivated to try very hard on your own. Maybe your frustration with your trainer is pulling you down other times. Have you talked to your trainer about your goals and intensity level?

I am not frustrated with my trainer. I need pushing. I don't like not doing well or getting tired aka feeling like I am failing so that is why I get frustrated. When I am alone I won't push myself quite as hard. I don't know how and where people get the energy even if they have a why. I guess my why is just to be healthier and look better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    EricRSRCP wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »

I am not frustrated with my trainer. I need pushing. I don't like not doing well or getting tired aka feeling like I am failing so that is why I get frustrated. When I am alone I won't push myself quite as hard. I don't know how and where people get the energy even if they have a why. I guess my why is just to be healthier and look better.

You don't need to push your limits all the time...in reality, that's actually a really *kitten* way to train. I work with my trainer once per week and it's definitely my hardest workout of the week. My solo weight room session isn't nearly to that level, nor do they need to be. I only hit the weight room a couple times per week...the rest of my exercise is outside on my road bike, mountain bike, hiking, etc. I make more of a point to just live an active lifestyle and don't worry that this or that is not some certain intensity. It's way more important to just be active and enjoy what you're doing than powering through some sufferfest that is ultimately going to lead to quitting and not doing it.