Alternate Day Fasting for 4 Weeks

Options
2»

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Members of the Intermittent Fasting Group do not support unsafe practices and believe there's a kinder and gentler way to support those who are IF enthused. Thank you for very much for your good-intention comments and questions.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    NVM.
  • mifit125
    mifit125 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @mifit125, consider joining us at the Intermittent Fasting Group here at MFP. It's a tad bit friendlier place at MFP for the IF enthusiast. You'll find us here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

Wishing you the best, be safe.

Thanks, will do!
  • mifit125
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Members of the Intermittent Fasting Group do not support unsafe practices and believe there's a kinder and gentler way to support those who are IF enthused. Thank you for very much for your good-intention comments and questions.

I guess I'm confused, since you keep implying that OP will be better served in the IF Group, but what she is doing is a VLCD. What is "kinder and gentler" than telling OP that her plan is not healthy and asking her to take care of herself? Who here has been unkind, unless you are saying it would be better to be supportive of her plan?

She's not "IF enthused", she is starving herself for 2 days out of every 3 because she wants to lose weight fast. I'm not sure how to draw any other conclusion than that you are equating being IF enthused to eating well below the recommended calorie level for 4 weeks.

I hear you -- I ended up not being able to eat so low through the month anyway (though others have been known to do so), and still lost eight pound with a diet averaging more or less around 1000 calories per day.

I've switched it up somewhat since August 28, using alternate-day fasting with 1800 calories every other day. I can exercise more efficiently and feel more energized this way. And VERY IMPORTANTLY, the weight is coming off.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    mifit125 wrote: »

I guess I'm confused, since you keep implying that OP will be better served in the IF Group, but what she is doing is a VLCD. What is "kinder and gentler" than telling OP that her plan is not healthy and asking her to take care of herself? Who here has been unkind, unless you are saying it would be better to be supportive of her plan?

She's not "IF enthused", she is starving herself for 2 days out of every 3 because she wants to lose weight fast. I'm not sure how to draw any other conclusion than that you are equating being IF enthused to eating well below the recommended calorie level for 4 weeks.

I hear you -- I ended up not being able to eat so low through the month anyway (though others have been known to do so), and still lost eight pound with a diet averaging more or less around 1000 calories per day.

I've switched it up somewhat since August 28, using alternate-day fasting with 1800 calories every other day. I can exercise more efficiently and feel more energized this way. And VERY IMPORTANTLY, the weight is coming off.

Again, regardless of whether you call it IF or not, or whether you join the IF group or not, averaging @ 1000 calories a day is still under eating. More important than the weight coming off is taking good care of yourself.

I can only hope that you will be encouraged to eat a healthy amount of food and target less unhealthy weight loss goals in the IF group as well, as it would be unethical IMHO for MFP to allow a private group here promote ideas that would be moderated on the main boards.
  • mifit125
    Options

Again, regardless of whether you call it IF or not, or whether you join the IF group or not, averaging @ 1000 calories a day is still under eating. More important than the weight coming off is taking good care of yourself.

I can only hope that you will be encouraged to eat a healthy amount of food and target less unhealthy weight loss goals in the IF group as well, as it would be unethical IMHO for MFP to allow a private group here promote ideas that would be moderated on the main boards.

I'm so happy these days -- I feel great and I look great. I couldn't say that a year ago during a job transition that was so stressful that I went from 127 lbs. to 140 lbs. In fact, my weight has been around 123 to 128 lbs. more or less throughout my adult life, so 140 lbs. is very uncomfortable for me, which is why I am trying to get it off as soon as possible. And when the weight finally comes off, I will so gladly look forwards to eating at maintenance. Until then fasting and calorie restriction is the way to go for me.
  • kimny72
    Options

I'm so happy these days -- I feel great and I look great. I couldn't say that a year ago during a job transition that was so stressful that I went from 127 lbs. to 140 lbs. In fact, my weight has been around 123 to 128 lbs. more or less throughout my adult life, so 140 lbs. is very uncomfortable for me, which is why I am trying to get it off as soon as possible. And when the weight finally comes off, I will so gladly look forwards to eating at maintenance. Until then fasting and calorie restriction is the way to go for me.

But you can do fasting and calorie restriction, while eating a healthy amount of calories and losing weight at a reasonable rate.

I'm glad you feel great now, I hope that continues. It doesn't change the risk factor in your strategy. Some people can treat their bodies badly for 4 weeks or so and get away with it, hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones. Unfortunately many slightly overweight women fall into cycles of yo yo dieting that they find incredibly difficult to get out of, often due to hormonal imbalance caused by undereating and gradual muscle loss that lowers their BMR and eventually their energy level. Best of luck.
  • mifit125
    Options

But you can do fasting and calorie restriction, while eating a healthy amount of calories and losing weight at a reasonable rate.

I'm glad you feel great now, I hope that continues. It doesn't change the risk factor in your strategy. Some people can treat their bodies badly for 4 weeks or so and get away with it, hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones. Unfortunately many slightly overweight women fall into cycles of yo yo dieting that they find incredibly difficult to get out of, often due to hormonal imbalance caused by undereating and gradual muscle loss that lowers their BMR and eventually their energy level. Best of luck.

I hear you 100%, and it's a struggle.
  • esmesmomma
    esmesmomma Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Not eating or eating 50% less calories for ONE day every other day isn’t going to hurt anyone. It’s actually beneficial for long term health. As long as your “up” days are regular calories. It’s also easier to stick to long term than to constantly derive yourself daily.
  • kimny72
    Options
    esmesmomma wrote: »
    Not eating or eating 50% less calories for ONE day every other day isn’t going to hurt anyone. It’s actually beneficial for long term health.
    . Theoretically.
    esmesmomma wrote: »
    It’s also easier to stick to long term than to constantly derive yourself daily.
    For some people.