Does weight training make you gain weight?

Options
I have been working out regularly for about 6 months now. I wasn't getting as much definition as I wanted so I started doing some more weight training and incorporated protein shakes into my diet. I am stil staying at the same amount of calories (1270) as I was before, but working out harder, and more often. In the past few weeks since I started I have gained a few pounds on the scale and I feel really bloated. I don't feel like I have gained any fat, I do feel tighter, but if I stick my belly out I look pregnant.Where is this mass coming from? And why do I feel bloated? I know muscle weighs more than fat, so I am okay with the few pounds on the scale, but I would like to know if I am doing something wrong and also if there is something I can do to prevent the bloating. I would also like to know why I am bloated. I thought we lost water weight, not gained it. Any help?

Replies

• Chickiebabe151
    Options
    I have been working out regularly for about 6 months now. I wasn't getting as much definition as I wanted so I started doing some more weight training and incorporated protein shakes into my diet. I am stil staying at the same amount of calories (1270) as I was before, but working out harder, and more often. In the past few weeks since I started I have gained a few pounds on the scale and I feel really bloated. I don't feel like I have gained any fat, I do feel tighter, but if I stick my belly out I look pregnant.Where is this mass coming from? And why do I feel bloated? I know muscle weighs more than fat, so I am okay with the few pounds on the scale, but I would like to know if I am doing something wrong and also if there is something I can do to prevent the bloating. I would also like to know why I am bloated. I thought we lost water weight, not gained it. Any help?
  • crispyjones2003
    Options
    Well, everything depends on how you weight lift, and yes their are big differences and outcomes depending on your methods. if what your looking for is definition, then your workouts should be more endurance oriented. In other words low weights, higher reps. You will likely gain a couple pounds because your muscles are becoming "denser". However, if your muscle groups are getting bigger, then you need to back off of how much weight your lifting. Try doing burnout sets with light weights. And watch out on how much protein you take in, most of that stuff is garbage anyway, but if your intent on taking it, use it in small doses. Infact, be wary of all supplements. Food is your best source of nutrition.....not powder in a can.