5"7' with 20lbs to lose!

I've always struggled with my weight and after recently getting engaged, the celebrations inevitably got me up to 167lb. I'm down to 158lb and my UGW is 138lb. I have been around 145lb before but when I get to that weight it almost seems like I can't eat more than 1000 kcals to lose weight 😔. Has anyone lost 20lbs from being a "lighter" weight (around 158lbs) to the 130's? I'd love some inspo 💕

Replies

• karlis87
    karlis87 Posts: 111 Member
    Hey - were twins!

I’m at 153 now with my goal being 133. I’m 5’6.5” and I started at 168. I eat around 1300 calories a day. I work out 6 days a week. On days I do cardio I sometimes eat some of my calories back if I’m starving but on my weightlifting days I don’t get any extra calories so I don’t eat any extra. I’m completely off candy and desserts which has helped me a lot because I’m a sugar addict. Feel free to add me as friend.
  • Typikelly
    Typikelly Posts: 11 Member
    Congrats on your engagement! That is so exciting. Very happy for you!

I'm in a very similar category. I am 5'7" as well. I have lost 18lbs, with my starting weight at 152lb, current weight 134lb, and UGW 125lb. It is definitely possible! I started August 6, so it's taken just over 3 months, with my calorie intake set at a 1lb loss each week. My main advice is to stay very close to your daily calorie allotment (and update your profile when you've lost weight, so your calories adjust) and to not be discouraged when the weight doesn't come off one week and goes up the next. My weight has fluctuated greatly the last few months - with my weight going up just last week 3lbs and is now all the way back down. I am very much looking forward to my goal weight, and you should too. You've got this! :smile:
  • VickiMe89
    VickiMe89 Posts: 12 Member
    Typikelly wrote: »
    Congrats on your engagement! That is so exciting. Very happy for you!

I'm in a very similar category. I am 5'7" as well. I have lost 18lbs, with my starting weight at 152lb, current weight 134lb, and UGW 125lb. It is definitely possible! I started August 6, so it's taken just over 3 months, with my calorie intake set at a 1lb loss each week. My main advice is to stay very close to your daily calorie allotment (and update your profile when you've lost weight, so your calories adjust) and to not be discouraged when the weight doesn't come off one week and goes up the next. My weight has fluctuated greatly the last few months - with my weight going up just last week 3lbs and is now all the way back down. I am very much looking forward to my goal weight, and you should too. You've got this! :smile:

WOW! You have done amazingly well! Congrats! You did that in 3 months too. Yeah, I've set my goal to lose 1lb a week and my kcals are currently at 1360. I am hitting around this each day but I have been relaxing a little on the weekends. I would like to get to my goal weight of 138lb by 19th May as that's just before I go on holiday. Thank you for replying - given me the inspo I needed 😁
  • VickiMe89
    karlis87 wrote: »
    Hey - were twins!

I’m at 153 now with my goal being 133. I’m 5’6.5” and I started at 168. I eat around 1300 calories a day. I work out 6 days a week. On days I do cardio I sometimes eat some of my calories back if I’m starving but on my weightlifting days I don’t get any extra calories so I don’t eat any extra. I’m completely off candy and desserts which has helped me a lot because I’m a sugar addict. Feel free to add me as friend.

Omg we are twins! I'll definitely add you! 😁. Yeah, my kcals are set to 1360 so I have been eating around that. And I have been working out each day. Can't wait to hit our goals together! ☺️
  • VickiMe89
    helene4 wrote: »
    I’m 5’3”
    starting weight 140
    current weight 131lbs
    goal weight range 120-125

It’s slow going
    I can lose as long as I stay around 1200-1500. I rarely only eat 1200 because I don’t want my metabolism to slow down too much.
    I’m happy with losing .5/1lb a week. That’s a lot!

I take it day by day and don’t worry what will happen one week or month from now

For me, not eating refined sugar is very helpful for weight loss. Eating all other types of food in moderation. Avoiding inflammatory foods
    Eating tons of vegetables!

What has also kept my weight loss going - getting enough iodine in my diet (I have a supplement and try to eat fish once or twice a week) and I started getting a B12 shot once a month because I was deficient. I’ve been feeling so much better! Have more energy and mental clarity!

I work out about 5 days a week
    But I’m gentle with myself

My gym goals are 1) show up 2) do something

I usually do yoga or Pilates 2x a week, run (about a mile) and lift weights 3-4x per week(I do Alexis Clark’s program which is awesome and makes a huge difference)

I’m trying to do stuff I can keep doing for the rest of my life :)
    Not bust out some insane workouts and then burn out
    (But to each their own)

Good luck! Stay the course, you’ll reach your goal

Thank you for responding! Yeah, I've put my goal to lose 1lb per week. I've done the crazy diets in the past but I just want to be healthy now. Good advice about taking it day by day. I always think too far ahead. Also, I love your gym goals 😁 i will have to check out the Alexis Clark programme - thank you! X
  • Typikelly
    Typikelly Posts: 11 Member
    VickiMe89 wrote: »
    WOW! You have done amazingly well! Congrats! You did that in 3 months too. Yeah, I've set my goal to lose 1lb a week and my kcals are currently at 1360. I am hitting around this each day but I have been relaxing a little on the weekends. I would like to get to my goal weight of 138lb by 19th May as that's just before I go on holiday. Thank you for replying - given me the inspo I needed 😁

You should be able to make it to your goal by then or be very close to it. Excited for you!
  • juuuls
    juuuls Posts: 1 Member
    That sounds similar to me. I am 5'7"--highest weight was 172lbs in 2017. Current weight is 148 and goal weight is 140. When I was in my 20s and thru my 30s I always weighed between 130-135 but that was before kids and I just turned 50!! I recently seemed to have hit a plateau and just looking for motivation and weight loss tips. I exercise about 45 mins everyday doing mostly cardio (can't do any high impact though due to knee issues) and track everything I eat. The food thing is the hardest thing for me. I have been using this app for 2yrs now and just realized there's a whole community out there (lol).
    Good luck to everyone. It's a life long journey we are on!
  • VickiMe89
    LeiLaura wrote: »
    Congratulations on your engagement! I don't quite fit into that category, but I am your height. At 5'7" I'm down from 178lb on 1st Aug to 152lb currently. I'm losing a pound a week most weeks on 1460 cals (actually eating between 1460 and 1550). This week, my remaining fat has gone squishy. I get it now, there's no other word for it, except perhaps wobbly, jiggly, flabby - you get the picture! I'm hoping that means I'm about to have a whoosh, but I've gone from feeling more toned and firm to feeling like a sack of jelly with new fat rolls everywhere. Ugh! Will just keep on keeping on. I did try to reduce my calories to 1250, but I lasted less than a day on that, and when I went up to 1700, i stopped losing. 1500 seems to be the sweet spot for me, that's sustainable but makes a difference (oh, so slowly). But I can only achieve that by swimming daily for 20 mins, else my net calories are closer to 1700 and I stall. For me, losing within my healthy BMI is about maintaining a smaller deficit than when I was overweight but doing exercise little and often to help me keep to it, experimenting to find the right numbers / pace, and - above all - patience, a quality I do not possess in abundance! I'm aiming to get down to about 136lb, but I'll see when I get there. I suspect that for both of us, recomp (losing fat and gaining muscle via strength training and maintenance) will be more successful at around the 140-145lb mark. Keep it up, it WILL come off if you're eating at a deficit, just remember it's not linear, and you could stall for several weeks and then lose 2 or 3lb in a weekend. As long as your average is around 0.5lb to 1lb per week overall, you're doing good. You don't want to lose faster than that anyway as you want to preserve your muscle at all costs! Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Ahh thank you for the congrats! It was definitely the best surprise I've ever had :smile: . Wow! You have done so well! It's nice to know you're around 6lbs lighter than me and are still doing well with 1460-1500kcals. Seems we aim to be around the same weight too :smile: I think when I get there I will concentrate on more heavy lifting etc. But I am trying to mix up my workouts and incorporating some lifting at the moment. I will keep you all updated how I get on, I'm rooting for you! X
  • VickiMe89
    Lost 2lb this week, 8lb altogether! Feeling very positive 😁
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!