Feel Like a Weakling
How best should I approach weight training? I have been doing a 30 minute circuit 2-3 times per week but I'd like to learn some routines (maybe with free weights) that really increase my strength and muscle tone. I've been skinny...and overweight...but never felt really strong. I'd take any suggestions.
Youtube! There are great tutorials there. Watch and learn! I highly recommend Athlean X, he has a great knowledge base.1
There are a lot of good routines for all levels in this thread.
Start with a programme that suits your abilities now, maybe a dumbbell routine, and work your way up.
I started with bodyweight, then dumbbell, and eventually graduated to a beginners barbell routine.
Go at your own pace, but always progressing, and lift what is heavy for you, don’t worry about what weight others can lift- not everyone can start with a 45lbs bar!
(I most certainly couldn’t, and if I had had to I would never have started lifting at all )
Thank you!! I always feel like I get to certain point in fitness and kind of stall. I don’t know if I’m short changing something in my diet and just not building muscle or what. But I’ll try these things!!2
Personal or group training, if you can swing it. YouTube if you can't. There is a lot to learn!1
Look on Pinterest! There are all kinds of different ones to try. I find the one I like and pin/use them.1
- 1.5M All Categories
- 1.4M Health, Wellness and Goals
- 387.2K Introduce Yourself
- 42.7K Getting Started
- 258.5K Health and Weight Loss
- 174.9K Food and Nutrition
- 47.1K Recipes
- 231.8K Fitness and Exercise
- 318 Sleep, Mindfulness and Overall Wellness
- 6.4K Goal: Maintaining Weight
- 8.4K Goal: Gaining Weight and Body Building
- 72.9K Success Stories
- 152.1K Motivation and Support
- 7.4K Challenges
- 1.2K Debate Club
- 96.1K Chit-Chat
- 2.5K Fun and Games
- 2.1K MyFitnessPal Information
- 20 News and Announcements
- 571 Feature Suggestions and Ideas
- 1.5K MyFitnessPal Tech Support Questions