Medical recovery question

Options
I am having a Varithena ablation done tomorrow. Has anyone here had that done? The post instructions say that I can return to normal activity immediately following the procedures, there are no restrictions aside from avoiding heavy exercise. The problem is no one can really tell me what that is. I work out with a trainer 3 days a week - can I go back to that on Monday or should I wait a week? I know I can walk, and probably go on the elliptical, but can I ride my bike Saturday or should I wait another week before I do that?

We were on vacation for 10 days, after which I came down with bronchitis and a sinus infection so I've been away from the gym for 3 weeks now and I'm feeling it! I need to get back!

Oh, and yes, I will be asking my doctor tomorrow, trust me.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I had a cardiac ablation. Outpatient surgery. Aside from being tired afterwards, I had no restrictions. I presume that your ablation would be even easier.

Good luck!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Why not ask your doctor?
  • airforceman1978
    airforceman1978 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've had 4 cardiac ablations now. The only restrictions I've ever had priced on me is they didn't want me to pick up heavy weights for a few days. This is because you cannot strain your groin if they go in take that access point if they go into your wrist like they do with placing stents there are no restrictions
  • AZTeri2016
    AZTeri2016 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This is my 3 vein ablation, not cardiac but for leaky valves in varicose veins in my legs that caused my feet to swell up and caused pain. And yes, I do plan on speaking to my doctor. I'll probably just end up taking another week off from training, but I feel like I'm losing ground since it will have been a full month with no weight training. Sigh. Oh well.

Oh, and they want to do the same procedure on the same leg, but different, smaller vein. And of course, insurance won't allow it to be done at the same time even though the doctor would prefer to do it that way. So I'll be going in yet again! Ugh. I'm really getting tired of this.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Unless you’re an Olympian or a professional athlete with a competition/event in the near future, recovery will almost always be the better option.

As mentioned above-what do really lose waiting another week? A week is nothing in the grand scheme of things (even with the other weeks...).

How many more weeks/months do you lose if you push yourself to go back and it’s too soon? How much progress will you make if you go back while your body isn’t quite ready - so even if you don’t hurt yourself, you prolong full recovery?

Things will return quickly when you’re able to get back to them-as long as you’re healthy.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Not familiar with procedure. I had hip replacements this year. I was up and walking with assistance within hours and it literally a little at a time after that until getting where I am now, walking a lot, often and doing pool exercise. Get and stay in cahoots with your care team, drs therapists etc. Good luck.